login

Author Topic: What are you reading at the moment  (Read 246868 times)

Offline Russoguru

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 152
  • "They belong here more than we"
Re: What are you reading at the moment
« Reply #2325 on: May 09, 2018, 03:06:41 PM »
I'm not big on books like at all. Not unless they have been written by somebody I really like or am otherwise fascinated by in some other way. So when I heard Kari Byron was releasing a book I just had to have it. I've always had a crush on her since I first saw her on Mythbusters so I was dying to see her thoughts on various things. Because it hurts to read I can at least just take in just a few pages at a time rather than just read a whole chapter at a time. From what little I have read so far, I highly recommend Kari Byron's book Crash test girl.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 03:08:17 PM by Russoguru »

Offline wihogfan

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 78
Re: What are you reading at the moment
« Reply #2326 on: May 16, 2018, 05:29:27 PM »
Finished Earth Abides and really liked it. Virus wipes out much of humanity and about the survivors. Not nearly as dated as something written in 1949 should have been.

Was recommended Hyperion by Dan Simmons. Made it 4 pages in and had to stop. One of the things you have to deal with when reading scifi is made up words (or words you know with things like "space" added to them). I'm OK with that when they are few and far between or when you can easily guess the meaning that the author is trying to convey. I think every sentence on those first 4 pages had a made up word. Maybe if I continued, those words would have been defined or become more clear, but if I'm clueless about what's going on that early it's generally not the type of scifi I find entertaining.

Started Pandora's Star by Peter Hamilton. 1/4 of the way through and liking it.