Author Topic: What are you reading at the moment  (Read 213549 times)

Offline CJones

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
Re: What are you reading at the moment
« Reply #2295 on: January 11, 2017, 01:15:59 AM »
I read most, including the entire second half, of Watership Down in one sitting. Granted, I was on a cross country plane trip, but the book was a lot more engrossing than I expected. Now yes, I had seen the movie already, so I knew not to expect a children's book (even though the original story was made up for his daughter). But the book goes into a LOT more detail about the rabbits' social structure, first describing their starting "normal" warren so that when they run into Cowslip's Warren, and then ultimately Efrafa, you can see how very out of the ordinary things have become, forcing Hazel and his Warren to adapt.

And I found it brilliantly believable. With the exception of Fiver's apparently psychic powers, these were rabbits acting like rabbits, forced into extraordinary situations, where they must view the world in ways they never had means or reason to before. And in the end, they come out better for it, because they accumulate knowledge, and they accumulate advantages. Because of everything that happens to them, they learn how to deal with the unknown, culminating in the final confrontation with General Woundwort and Efrafa. 

Online Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked:
  • I'm a television man!
« Reply #2296 on: January 11, 2017, 06:39:41 AM »
Midway through How Star Wars Conquered the Universe.  Despite the bland title, it is a good history covering the making of the Star Wars films, how they were received and how they effected the world as a whole.  I recommend it for Star Wars nerds, its a solid read.

Offline Alexis

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked:
« Reply #2297 on: January 18, 2017, 07:12:41 AM »
Soar Above: How to Use the Most Profound Part of Your Brain under Any Kind of Stress by Steven Stosny. Helps to understand and manage oneself (to some extent).

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
« Reply #2298 on: January 23, 2017, 02:19:09 PM »
40/41, only 1 more discworld novel left. :(

Online Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked:
  • I'm a television man!
« Reply #2299 on: January 23, 2017, 04:35:29 PM »
Wow, that's quite an accomplishment.  Pratchett is really someone I need to get in to.  I like a lot of what I hear.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked:
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2300 on: January 23, 2017, 07:25:47 PM »
 Wow, I've only read 9 of them I think, at the rate I'm going I doubt I'll live long enough to read all of them.  ;D

They have all been fun to read, I do need to get a few more of them on my Kindle....

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
« Reply #2301 on: February 02, 2017, 12:17:44 AM »
Holy fuck The Shepherd's Crown, I can't stop bawling my eyes out reading this one, I'm in no state for it.