Author Topic: What are you reading at the moment  (Read 287073 times)

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 562
  • "The name's Apple, Tim Apple"
Re: What are you reading at the moment
« Reply #2355 on: March 25, 2019, 06:53:25 PM »
I recently finished The Avengers: The Initiative volume 1. I don't like the world this takes place in because it takes place in a post-civil war world where Captain America is... well,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
. Tony Stark is trying to make it so that all fifty states have their own Avenger team. There's some interesting plot threads here and there, but for the bulk of the book it focuses on Z-list new Avengers like Hardball, Cloud 9, Komodo, MVP, and the list goes on and on. Sure, Hank Pym is featured prominently in the book but uh... spoilers.

About half-way into the book we get to see that
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
... and not for any reason that could end in anything good. Fortunately, the book ends closing out a major story line. Like I said, I'm not a big fan of an Avengers team without Captain America. For me, he's the heart and soul of the Avengers and they would do well to carry on his spirit. For some reason it's hard for me to give you my overall critical impression of this book. There's things about it I did not like at all, and there are some things I liked a lot. Overall I guess I can honestly say it's a worthy read if you're looking to see a new Avengers. It's by no means great, but it's a good read.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5708
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #2356 on: March 26, 2019, 02:42:08 PM »
Tony Stark is trying to make it so that all fifty states have their own Avenger team. There's some interesting plot threads here and there, but for the bulk of the book it focuses on Z-list new Avengers like Hardball, Cloud 9, Komodo, MVP, and the list goes on and on.
I find this funny because this plot sounds like the joke that Rifftrax had in their Spider-Man riff about their small city being issued a superhero and they were out of the good ones.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3176
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #2357 on: March 26, 2019, 04:04:43 PM »
And it has Slapstick in it! My favorite Z-lister.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #2358 on: March 26, 2019, 06:02:26 PM »
And it has Slapstick in it! My favorite Z-lister.
He seems more like an alternate reality Harley Quinn to me.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5133
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #2359 on: March 27, 2019, 09:27:56 AM »
He's more like Marvel's version of The Mask (though when Slapstick came out, the Mask was still more of a villain character before the movie came out).

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 260
« Reply #2360 on: April 05, 2019, 07:40:41 PM »
A little over halfway through the latest Expanse book (the 8th). Thought it started a little slow, but now liking it more than the last couple. Still a lot of things that I find hard to believe with be all wrapped up in a satifying way by the end of the next book which will be the last in the series.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #2361 on: April 09, 2019, 09:53:38 AM »
Finished the latest Expanse book. Initial thought after reading the first half held true for the second half. Had more of a conclusion than some of the recent books in the series which was nice. But did leave a number of things open for the final one.

Offline tonylee123321

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2362 on: May 19, 2019, 02:14:02 AM »
i reading :
1.Sumika Sumire
2.Wind Sword
3.My Milky Way Love Story
See if you find something interesting ...
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 08:29:42 AM by RVR II »
I am reading and watching it

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3857
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #2363 on: May 19, 2019, 08:31:37 AM »
i reading :
1.Sumika Sumire
2.Wind Sword
3.My Milky Way Love Story
See if you find something interesting ...
I find banning you interesting :spammer:

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2640
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2364 on: July 24, 2019, 04:05:11 PM »
Just finished Relic by Alan Dean Foster.

Foster is my favorite author and this is the best book he has written in a while. 

Very interesting story, basically what it would be like if after 10,000 years of colonizing space the human race was wiped out by a bio-weapon released during a conflict between human colonies, and the lone (immune) survivor is found by aliens and he has to deal with not only being the last human but answering all their questions as the aliens research what is left of the now empty human colony worlds.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5708
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #2365 on: July 25, 2019, 10:02:04 AM »

Foster is my favorite author and this is the best book he has written in a while. 

Very interesting story, basically what it would be like if after 10,000 years of colonizing space the human race was wiped out by a bio-weapon released during a conflict between human colonies, and the lone (immune) survivor is found by aliens and he has to deal with not only being the last human but answering all their questions as the aliens research what is left of the now empty human colony worlds.
Wow, the 1997 film really diverged from the source material!

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2640
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #2366 on: July 25, 2019, 11:07:24 AM »

Wow, the 1997 film really diverged from the source material!

That was "THE Relic", this one is just "Relic", and also written last year.  ;D

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #2367 on: July 25, 2019, 11:49:50 AM »
Just read Rod Serling's screen plays for the first 2 episodes of The Planet of the Apes (1974) TV show. His screen plays and plot were not used or filmed and differed significantly from the crap that was filmed. While what he propsed  wasn't ground breaking, it would have been far better than what was made.

Offline wihogfan

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #2368 on: July 27, 2019, 07:29:50 PM »
I should have added that if anyone is interested in reading those 2 Rod Serling scripts, they can find them for free here:
https://pota.goatley.com/scripts.html
Scroll down- they're at the very bottom.

Offline Russoguru

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #2369 on: August 04, 2019, 01:48:22 PM »
I recently came across a wonderful find on Amazon Kindle: The Playboy Complete Centerfolds collection(and by complete that means 1953 to 2007). Anyway the only annoying thing is that it's formatted a little weird. Half the centerfolds are in this tiny little thumbnail at the bottom of every page for some reason and you have to double click them to see them. Other than that, it's a wonderful collection. It's no exaggeration to say some of the most beautiful women to ever live graced the pages of Playboy. The likes of Marilyn Monroe, Petra Verkaik, Kymberly Herrin,  Tawnni Cable, Julie Lynn Cialini,  Victoria Fuller, Shae Marks, Pamela Anderson, Heather Kozar, Kimberley Conrad, Brande Roderick, Erika Eleniak and Sara Jean Underwood are among many of the lovely lovelies to be showcased in this excellent collection.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2019, 01:51:18 PM by Russoguru »