login

Author Topic: What are you reading at the moment  (Read 280377 times)

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
Re: What are you reading at the moment
« Reply #60 on: September 07, 2007, 08:26:06 PM »
i just finished the novelization of Ernest goes to camp.  it was deep man DEEEEEEEP

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #61 on: September 07, 2007, 08:27:53 PM »
I just read this....does it count?

On timeout

Offline Hebs

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #62 on: September 08, 2007, 06:09:02 AM »
i just finished the novelization of Ernest goes to camp.  it was deep man DEEEEEEEP

Haha - I just finished reading the back of the Frankenberry box - and I figured out the puzzle in like, 6 seconds!!  Word!  <--smrt
.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....

Offline Big Blonde

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
  • Hear the thunder of our chorus...
« Reply #63 on: September 08, 2007, 06:58:50 AM »
Just finished The Fourth Bear by Jasper Fforde.  His books are wonderfully entertaining - his take on aliens is remarkably original - and incorporate all manner of fictional figures. 

I absolutely love his books, I think the way he writes is so smart and hilarious, I love everything that he's done so far (my favorite being the Eyre Affair).

As for the Ender's Game series, after reading the first one I read Ender's Shadow (which isn't really a sequel, it's more like a parallel to Ender's Game, just with the focus on a different character), and then I read Speaker for the Dead, which is a sequel to Ender's Game. I really liked the sequel because it's set in the future, so Ender is an adult now, and he basically just flies around the galaxy, never aging, and going to speak at important people's funerals. I really liked it, I think Orson Scott Card is so creative, but I never read past that sequel. Oh well.

Currently, I'm reading Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie, and whatever else I have to read for class. After I finish that I'm either going to read The Road or the Book of Daniel (for anyone who likes historically based fiction, you should check out E.L. Doctorow's stuff, he has a really good book called The March that's about the Civil War).
"The struggle of man against power is the struggle of memory against forgetting."
Milan Kundera

Offline the long undertow

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #64 on: September 09, 2007, 05:42:05 PM »
The Handmaid's Tale is pretty good.  I'd say go for it to anyone who is considering reading it.

As far as the Ender sequels.  I've read them all except for the newest of the Bean saga.  Beyond Ender's Shadow, I didn't think there was really any reason for those books.  It seemed more like cashing in to me.  I enjoyed all the Ender saga books, though they don't really top their predecessors.  It's all one continuous story, so I wanted to see it through to the end more than anything.  I would say that each book has its moments, so if you like one, give the next a try.

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2007, 03:48:11 AM »
I'm reading the Bone Doll's Twin, by somebody with a vaguely Welsh name. It is wonderfully written, with a perfect glance at first-hand experience of childhood and a comfortable touch of supernatural.
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline Hebs

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2007, 11:32:18 AM »
Speaking of Basho, I've started reading a little book of collected Rumi works.  They are lovely :)
.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2007, 04:58:25 PM »
I just finished reading Marvel Zombies. Holy crap!
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline hare.29

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2007, 05:22:10 AM »

Whee, science and politics.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4968
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2007, 05:57:02 AM »
I just finished reading Marvel Zombies. Holy crap!
Holy crap good or Holy Crap bad?

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2007, 06:06:06 AM »
Really good, and pretty damned creepy to boot. I have to say, telling a zombie story almost totally from the zombies' perspective somehow makes it more grotesque.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2007, 07:09:17 AM »

Splendid splendid stuff!

Offline damfino

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2007, 10:21:40 PM »
I'm almost finished with "Water for Elephants" by Sara Gruen, which is about a third rate traveling circus during the Depression. It's fantastic, and I highly recommend it! I'm also about halfway through Philip Roth's "The Ghost Writer". In addition to that, I'm reading a mystery that takes place in a coffeehouse called "On What Ground" (haha) by Cleo Coyle. It's actually a series and the other ones have been really fun reading.

Offline hare.29

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2007, 06:22:50 AM »

not pulling any punches with this title.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2007, 06:28:32 AM »
Interesting, do you have a link to a synopsis?