Author Topic: Remix for Radiohead  (Read 795 times)

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
Remix for Radiohead
« on: April 02, 2008, 07:09:03 PM »
Anybody get this email?
  To celebrate this week's single release (we still have those in England) Radiohead have broken up the song 'Nude' into pieces for you to remix.

For those of you who enjoy this sort of thing, you can buy the separate components or 'stems' (bass, voice, guitar, strings/FX and drums) and remix your own version of the song. You can do this by adding your own beats and instrumentation or just remixing the original parts. More information here: http://www.radioheadremix.com/information/

You can buy the stems here: http://www.radioheadremix.com/buy/

You can upload your finished mixes here http://www.radioheadremix.com and be judged and even voted on by 'the public'.
You can also create a widget allowing votes from your own website, Facebook or MySpace page to be sent through too.

Hope you enjoy it

For those of you who aren't that way inclined, Nude is also available in its entirety on CD and 7 inch (UK release) at the usual retail outlets.

On timeout

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 2
  • Riff everything.
Re: Remix for Radiohead
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 11:43:25 PM »
Er, I'm a little confused. Has somebody murdered Radiohead and replaced them with robots?

First of all, why are they using iTunes? I thought they were 100% anti-corporate. I wouldn't have thought they'd support Apple, even if they use Macs. When their album was available for download, it was through Radiohead's site only. How did Apple get their grubby little hands on this?

Secondly, why are they selling it at all? They've already essentially given away the full track for free. How come the parts have to be bought? Not even a discount or free download for those who paid anything for the album? Moby had a remix contest with the parts on a CD single, something people wanted to buy in the first place. Don't the Beastie Boyz have remix contests for free?

Thirdly, I thought iTunes was super-DRM only. So how many programs could actually load and remix these files? I don't have a Mac, so I can't use Garageband. What, there's a world outside Apple? Yes, Virginia, there is.

Fourthly, HOW MUCH IS IT? I can't get to iTunes because I don't have iTunes. Please tell me it's not 99 cents per part.

And finally, remixing a song in 3/4 time? Really? Good luck, that's pretty... uncommon.

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 2
  • Riff everything.
Re: Remix for Radiohead
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2008, 01:43:04 AM »
Okay, I'll just answer myself then.

Yes, the parts are 99 cents each (x 5 = $4.95). If you click "buy all" you buy the single too, which is completely redundant.

They are DRM free. However, remember MP3s? Well, you can only have M4As now. Sorry, Apple decided for you. So good luck using them "however you want." I converted them to wav files (without Steve Jobs).

You're limited to a 5mb remix. Which means the insane audiophiles have been doing 2-3 minute remixes of a 4 minute song. It boggles the mind. You'd think they'd limit the size to... I dunno, the size of the original (8mb).

You do get over 400 remixes of the song for free, if you want to look at it that way. Sure, most of them suck (or most of the ones you'll listen to if you have less than a year to browse them), but you can snatch them out of your temporary internet files when they're done.

You could call the cost an "entry fee" to weed out crappy remixes, but that didn't work out so well. Or you could call it a donation in thanks for all the free remixes. Either way, they're probably making more off this than they made from OK Computer.

No, I don't know why they're using iTunes. I suspect it has something to do with their new management company "XL" who is plastered all over the website.

Apparently it's not a competition and there are no winners, and Radiohead will "listen to" the top ten remixes when the non-competition is over. If they're the same quality that they are now, I imagine nothing will be done with them.