Author Topic: Thoughts?  (Read 18887 times)

Offline Road_Element

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 51
  • The Names Servo, Tom Servo
Re: Thoughts?
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2006, 08:02:53 PM »
This just might be me. But i just didnt find it all that funny. I mean some of the jokes where funny. But still no where as funny as Crossroads, Roadhouse and Star Trek V or even Top Gun. I got really bored with the political joke & all the other jokes about feces just got annoying. Not to say i didnt find funny at all. Its just i think that some of the others were far better. Maybe if Kevin or Bill where on this track too. It might have been better. I know i might be in the minority here. But overall i just didnt find it all that funny. I would put this one down there with X-men and The Fifth Element.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006, 10:26:34 PM by Road_Element »

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 0
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2006, 11:08:25 PM »
I'm kinda on the fence about it right now. Perhaps it's because I'm up way later than normal   :P

It was funny, no doubt, but I'm wondering if DisembAudio put in a little too much, or Mike was so itching to have another voice to play off of, that he enlisted DisembAudio to fill the void...

Well, Whoa, I guess.

Offline crazyralph

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2006, 10:05:08 PM »
I like Point Break. I realize it's corny, and I usually detest the "pure adrenaline" movies. I HATED xXx. Vin Diesel is easily one of the worst actors of all-time. But I didn't think Point Break was dull or pointless (No pun intended). I mean, having an FBI agent learning to surf to crack a case sounds ridiculous, but that was actually addressed in the movie by John McGinley's character. He pointed out how absurd it was, but it worked... Sort of. Me and a friend of mine are constantly making fun of Keanu and Swayze's characters in the movie because they're corny, but they're not really hateable like Vin Diesel. They have talent. It's not always apparent, especially in Keanu Reeves (I couldn't finish the two Matrix sequels), but I did like him in Point Break, River's Edge, Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey, Speed, and Dracula. Granted, he was laughable in Dracula, but that in itself was entertaining. Every scene he was in made me laugh, so I was entertained.

Offline Otis

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2006, 12:52:46 PM »
Finally got around to watching this last night (can you believe I had to RESERVE it at the library). My local video store didn't have this one either, but the clerk said, "Oh, cool movie," completely without sarcasm when I asked him about it (this was at Blockbuster). And actually, it wasn't a half bad movie. Better than Top Gun, Cocktail and xXx anyway. Seemed like it would be good mindless dollar movie fare. I thought the riffing was up to par. Good stuff. On to Phantom Menace!

Offline Ivan Druzhkov

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2006, 11:03:30 AM »
I enjoyed this one quite alot.  It's nice to see that Mike share's my appreciation for John C. McGinley's method of yell-acting.  If only he'd called Keanu "Rebecca" or something...

I don't know about the rest of you, but I kept having MST moments while watching this.  Whenever Gary Busey parked his car by the side of the road, all I could think was "MITCHELL!" with accompanying wak-a-chicka wak-a-chicka wak-a-chickas.  Additionally, during the final parachute sequence I kept hoping Mike (as Keanu) would shout something like "Hey guys!  Any of your parachutes smell like acid?"

Offline waffen

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #35 on: November 08, 2006, 08:52:15 AM »
This VERY close to being my favorite one. Well worth the buy!

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2006, 03:57:26 PM »
My local rental store doesn't have it. Hmmm. :-

They finally got a copy. Just finished watching the RiffTrax, great stuff. 8)
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline davo

• Magneto-cent Member
  • are you asking for a challlllenge?!!!!1!1!one!!1!
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2006, 08:03:27 AM »
Finally got around to watching this last night (can you believe I had to RESERVE it at the library). My local video store didn't have this one either, but the clerk said, "Oh, cool movie," completely without sarcasm when I asked him about it (this was at Blockbuster). And actually, it wasn't a half bad movie. Better than Top Gun, Cocktail and xXx anyway. Seemed like it would be good mindless dollar movie fare. I thought the riffing was up to par. Good stuff. On to Phantom Menace!

agreed. these are my fave kinda riff movies: the kind you'd watch on cable on a lazy sunday afternoon...or when you're sick. like i am now.  *cough cough* time to lay down and watch this again ;)

Offline 6079SmithW

• Big Montana
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2006, 06:31:39 PM »
I like Point Break. I realize it's corny, and I usually detest the "pure adrenaline" movies. I HATED xXx. Vin Diesel is easily one of the worst actors of all-time. But I didn't think Point Break was dull or pointless (No pun intended). I mean, having an FBI agent learning to surf to crack a case sounds ridiculous, but that was actually addressed in the movie by John McGinley's character. He pointed out how absurd it was, but it worked... Sort of. Me and a friend of mine are constantly making fun of Keanu and Swayze's characters in the movie because they're corny, but they're not really hateable like Vin Diesel. They have talent. It's not always apparent, especially in Keanu Reeves (I couldn't finish the two Matrix sequels), but I did like him in Point Break, River's Edge, Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey, Speed, and Dracula. Granted, he was laughable in Dracula, but that in itself was entertaining. Every scene he was in made me laugh, so I was entertained.
This felt like much less of a product endorsement delivery service than xXx- I can imagine that someone behind it was a genuine, enthusiastic surfer or skydiver or something, and wanted to express themselves in a movie. They failed, but that's not the point.

xXx has nothing genuine in it anywhere (well, maybe Meltyface, but it's hard to tell with Sam Jackson.) It's the pinnacle of marketing ploys disguised as a movie, and I hate it like I hate 'the 20'.

Offline Hellcat

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2006, 10:57:17 PM »
I enjoyed this one.  The movie had a goofy charm that I couldn't resist -- and I tried to resist it, believe me I tried.  I liked Mike's Road House references, and there was even a Top Gun reference.  I also got a chuckle out of his Reagan impression.  All in all, a very satisfying RiffTrax.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2006, 07:58:52 PM »

Another solid solo Mike effort. I realize that the concensus around here is that additional riffer = better product, but I don't really see it. The only solo Mike effort that I found mediocre was Fifth Element. The rest of the ones I've seen (Point Break, Road House, Crossroads, Cocktail) have all been good to outstanding. While I wouldn't put Point Break quite on the same level as Road House, it was pretty damn funny. The only downer was that the movie just dragged and limped to the ending. It was like watching a football game where you see two minutes left on the game clock but it's a half hour before the final whistle blows. That said, Mike did drop a number of gems in this one and he didn't leave many missed opportunities behind. Gary Busey is a gift from the Riff Gods. B+

Offline Famous Mortimer

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #41 on: December 19, 2006, 09:03:27 AM »
A good fun film. The actual film itself was plenty of fun too, and is (like has already been said) one of those excellent lazy Sunday afternoon efforts. Both film and riff were much better than xXx so well done Mike. Keep up the good work and maybe give us more films like this.

Swayze = riff quality.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2006, 12:18:37 AM »
i just did this one for a group of friends.  It was the first time they had ever heard of rifftrax and they hadnt even heard of ol' mst3k they were dying in laughter and im pretty dog gone sure they will be more rifftrax.  woot.

ps that was easily one of the funniest rifftrax i have seen. 

Offline LadyKenobi

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
    • BlondeChampagne
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2007, 07:08:10 PM »
I very much enjoyed this Rifftrax... it did contain about 3 Rifftraxs worth of DisembAudio though.

Agreed, although I hugely enjoyed the "Adrenaline Updates," almost as much as Busy's Golden Girls shirt at the end of the movie. And did you catch that one of the bars in the movie was named "Patrick's Road House?"  Precious.

This Rifftrax made me reflect very deeply on how movies get made.  I don't mean the physical act of shooting, editing, composition, etc-- I mean in the script stage, before you buy a single surfboard.  As a writer I think in terms of the script more than anything else.  Who read the script for Point Break and was all, "This is GREAT!"  How did this happen?

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2007, 09:41:45 AM »

Similar to what Sarcasm Made Easy had done, I rewatched Point Break with a few friends. They had all seen a small handful of other Rifftrax, but everyone agreed that this one was pretty hilarious. Although a good chunk of the Disembaudio stuff and a surprising amount of riffs that fell flat for the group... when Mike was on everybody was rolling. He locked onto a number of recurring targets and nailed a good amount of lines that had all of us laughing out loud. Gary Busey huffing butane and donating his Chicklet teeth to his son, the great "Lori Petty is a man" collection, the Road House callbacks, the incomparable Keanu... he went to the well over and over with those and yet it never ceased being funny.

I think this is an underappreicated Mike solo effort. I need to give a bunch of Rifftrax a second (or first) viewing... but I think Point Break will sneak into my top 5. Anytime a movie features a car chase scene, I will think of Gary Busey simply driving home from the studio lot.