login

Author Topic: When Were Nickelodeon's "Glory Years" and Down Period  (Read 6526 times)

Offline Hebs

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
Re: When Were Nickelodeon's "Glory Years" and Down Period
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2007, 06:50:29 AM »
I stand by that "The Adventures of Pete & Pete" was the best thing Nick ever created.
I might have to agree with you on that.

Anytime Adam West makes an appearance, a show rockets to "golden" status for me.

I was a big, big fan of "Legends of the Hidden Temple"  and "Where in the World is Carmen SanDiego"  - and most fervently - "ROUNDHOUSE".

.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2007, 12:08:05 PM »
Oh yeah, Carmen Sandiego. There's another TV show whose theme song is PERMANENTLY stuck in my head. That was a great show. :)

[yt=425,350]d_L41_SGYxk[/yt]
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 12:12:27 PM by ChaosFromOrder »
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2007, 12:20:08 PM »
I stand by that "The Adventures of Pete & Pete" was the best thing Nick ever created. I also stand by that "Legends of the Hidden Temple" was the most original and fun game show of all time. (Yes, TripeHoundRedux, even more so then "Knightmare" or "The Crystal Maze.")

I wouldn't know, I've not got Nick nor did I watch it when I had more expanded cable.

I doubt anything compared to The Adventure Game however.

Tch, think you can quote obscure British TV shows? I'll out obscure you everytime  :D

Oh but I did use to watch that Carmen Sandiego show (I didn't know it'd been a game until I came to the states) on Channel 4 I think, nice little cartoon redhead in that.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 12:29:42 PM by TripeHoundRedux »

Offline GregMcduck

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1
  • KOOOOONG!!1
    • Pop Arena
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2007, 12:42:37 PM »
The main difference between Legends of the Hidden Temple and similar "story game shows" like Knightmare or the Adventure Game is that Hidden Temple used an actual set instead of cheesy bluescreen effects.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2007, 12:43:56 PM »
The main difference between Legends of the Hidden Temple and similar "story game shows" like Knightmare or the Adventure Game is that Hidden Temple used an actual set instead of cheesy bluescreen effects.

Like I said I wouldn't know I didn't watch Nickelodean shows.

Offline Hebs

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2007, 12:45:24 PM »

How many other people are like me - and yelled at the TV - when the kids had to put that stupid brass monkey together?  Were they trying to go slow?  Grraaar - I was always so into the show as a kid, I'd find myself yelling - "No no, you putz, put the wide part on FIRST!  AAAHH"
.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2007, 01:11:59 PM »

How many other people are like me - and yelled at the TV - when the kids had to put that stupid brass monkey together?  Were they trying to go slow?  Grraaar - I was always so into the show as a kid, I'd find myself yelling - "No no, you putz, put the wide part on FIRST!  AAAHH"

Sounds pretty much identical to The Crystal Maze then.
[yt=425,350]gudjzy3E91Q[/yt]
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 02:54:35 PM by TripeHoundRedux »

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2007, 02:06:28 PM »

Nobody could ever put that thing together right. They were all idiots. I think the contestants were all doped up before sent into the temple or something.

Witness:
[yt=425,350]SKVp-WK4lIU[/yt]
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2007, 12:56:02 PM »
since someone mentioned carmen sandiego ive got to know  does ANYONE remember a show called square one?

Offline LadyKenobi

• Big Montana
    • BlondeChampagne
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2007, 01:39:39 PM »
ME!!!!! I have a soft spot for Square One, seeing as I was/am a math idiot and my mother let me watch it every day without it counting towards my one hour a day of TV time.  Holla to Math Man and Mathnet.

I have to agree with Rude.  The thing I remember most about Nickelodeon is Nick at Nite with Mister Ed and Donna Reed and Ozzie and Harriett, etc.  Heck, they were the network that made me obsessed with the Monkees for a long time.

I also did grow up thinking "I don't know" should be followed by green slime though.  I think that is the show that really "made" the network.  They still associate themselves with the slime, afterall.  Mr. Wizard was also a fave and I vaguely remember watching Pinwheel...still remember the song.

Similar holla to Today's Special.

Offline GregMcduck

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • KOOOOONG!!1
    • Pop Arena
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2007, 02:43:12 PM »
since someone mentioned carmen sandiego ive got to know  does ANYONE remember a show called square one?

MATHMAN MATHMAN MATHMAN MATHMAN MATHMAN MATHMAN

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2007, 02:48:35 PM »
Yeah, I remember... Mathman was like Pac-Man and helped you correct math mistakes, and there were math themed music videos, too, right?

I vaguely remember seeing it on PBS in the afternoons.

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2007, 04:29:59 PM »
I remember Today's Special too and I liked the show however, I had recurring nightmares about mannequins coming to life to attack me (helped by the movie "Mannequin").  So, I've always been afraid of mannequins even though that show just sucked me in like crack.  I watched it all the time.

I also watched SquareOne but I was a bigger fan of 321Contact (and I got the magazine.  It had BASIC programming tips for kids and such in it and it was aimed at a gradeschool level, way cooler than Highlights) and the Bloodhound Gang.
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Offline LadyKenobi

• Big Montana
    • BlondeChampagne
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2007, 05:44:56 PM »
It had BASIC programming tips

Shhhhhh, you're letting everybody age us!  ; )

Recently a friend of my sister's unearthed her Girl Scout badge handbook, and it had a badge with 0's and 1's on it called "Computer World".  One of the requirements was to "visit a company that has a computer." 

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2007, 09:05:05 PM »
It had BASIC programming tips

Shhhhhh, you're letting everybody age us!  ; )

Recently a friend of my sister's unearthed her Girl Scout badge handbook, and it had a badge with 0's and 1's on it called "Computer World".  One of the requirements was to "visit a company that has a computer." 

When I was in primary school, we had a "computer lab" wiith half a dozen Apple IIe systems, and we learned how to "program" using the "Turtle" software. And the first computer game I ever played was Oregon Trail. :)