login

Author Topic: Monty Python Humming  (Read 3413 times)

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
Monty Python Humming
« on: August 04, 2007, 10:54:43 AM »
Okay, so I'm trying to figure out what this one song is called, but at the moment the only place I can remember hearing it was when a woman hummed it during the "Househunters " sketch in "Blood, Devastation, Death, War and Horror."

Is anyone obsessed enough with Monty Python to know what that song is off the top of their heads?

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
Re: Monty Python Humming
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2007, 01:05:15 PM »
Aw, jeez....I'm watching a UFO show on the History Channel and now I'm going to have to get out my Python DVDs....

You mean, the woman in the purple coat?

That's Greensleeves.

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2007, 02:49:39 PM »
Wow, such a beutiful, relaxing song is called "Greensleeves?" I've heard that name, but i always assumed it was a jazz nimber.

Thanks, Plastic Self Cleaning Duck, you are awesome. Sorry for making you interupt your UFO History show.

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 02:53:53 PM »
Oh, and I just looked the song up on Itunes, and among the various rentitions, I found some jazz version of it by John Coltraine. It was predictably sucky.

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 02:54:36 PM »
Wow, such a beutiful, relaxing song is called "Greensleeves?" I've heard that name, but i always assumed it was a jazz nimber.

Greensleeves?  It's a tune that was written by Henry VIII - and is known by most people as a Christmas carol.

"What child is this who lay to rest on Mary's lap....."

Thanks, Plastic Self Cleaning Duck, you are awesome. Sorry for making you interupt your UFO History show.

No prob.  It was that big a deal.  They were talking about USOs by then - UFOs under water.  Too much like The Abyss for me.   ;)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2007, 05:10:58 PM »

Greensleeves?  It's a tune that was written by Henry VIII - and is known by most people as a Christmas carol.

In America, when I was first in the states for Christmas I couldn't for the life of me understand why a madrigal about some inconstant wench was mixed in on the instrumental Christmas Music piped into the shops.

I love how Henry VII is supposed to have written this

Alas, my love, you do me wrong,
To cast me off discourteously.
For I have loved you well and long,
Delighting in your company.

Chorus:
Greensleeves was all my joy
Greensleeves was my delight,
Greensleeves was my heart of gold,
And who but my lady greensleeves.

Hmm cauase you know he was a model of constancy.

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2007, 05:24:53 PM »

Greensleeves?  It's a tune that was written by Henry VIII - and is known by most people as a Christmas carol.

In America, when I was first in the states for Christmas I couldn't for the life of me understand why a madrigal about some inconstant wench was mixed in on the instrumental Christmas Music piped into the shops.

I love how Henry VII is supposed to have written this

Alas, my love, you do me wrong,
To cast me off discourteously.
For I have loved you well and long,
Delighting in your company.

Chorus:
Greensleeves was all my joy
Greensleeves was my delight,
Greensleeves was my heart of gold,
And who but my lady greensleeves.

Hmm cauase you know he was a model of constancy.

It's always the ones that complain the loudest.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2007, 10:43:56 PM »
I've always wondered how "Greensleeves" came to be a Christmas carol. Sure, it fits in perfectly well tonally, but who started playing it for the holidays in the first place?

Y'know what I can see becoming a future Holiday standard? John Williams' Harry Potter theme. I dunno if it's because the first movie featured Christmas at Hogwart's, or just something about the composition - probably a bit of both - but it sounds super Christmasy to me. My local Borders has been playing The Philosopher's Stone score lately, and it really throws me off when I hear it.

Offline Shinigami

• Big Montana
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2007, 11:45:31 PM »
Considering the first Potter film was directed by the same guy that made Home Alone, it's not that big of a stretch.  That movie screamed christmas from every orifice.

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2007, 07:17:22 AM »
I've always wondered how "Greensleeves" came to be a Christmas carol. Sure, it fits in perfectly well tonally, but who started playing it for the holidays in the first place?

As I understand it, there is actually a separate Christmas song that uses the exact same tune as Greensleeves - it's a religious hymn, called "What Child is This?"

Now, why the church chose to use the tune supposedly created by an adultering king that abandoned the church, I have no explanation for. :)
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2007, 07:33:39 AM »

As I understand it, there is actually a separate Christmas song that uses the exact same tune as Greensleeves - it's a religious hymn, called "What Child is This?"

Now, why the church chose to use the tune supposedly created by an adultering king that abandoned the church, I have no explanation for. :)

Public Domain.

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2007, 07:43:52 AM »

Public Domain.

:D

:clap:
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2007, 08:08:43 AM »
Joy to the World is a great Christmas carol that never specifies Christ at all. In fact it could be a pagan messiah if you listen to the lyrics

Joy to the world, the Lord is come!
Let earth receive her King;
Let every heart prepare Him room,
And Heaven and nature sing,
And Heaven and nature sing,
And Heaven, and Heaven, and nature sing.

Joy to the earth, the Savior reigns!
Let men their songs employ;
While fields and floods, rocks, hills and plains
Repeat the sounding joy,
Repeat the sounding joy,
Repeat, repeat, the sounding joy.

No more let sins and sorrows grow,
Nor thorns infest the ground;
He comes to make His blessings flow
Far as the curse is found,
Far as the curse is found,
Far as, far as, the curse is found.

He rules the world with truth and grace,
And makes the nations prove
The glories of His righteousness,
And wonders of His love,
And wonders of His love,
And wonders, wonders, of His love.

Could be about Baal or Adonis as much as 9it's about Christ.

But back to Greensleeves the reason it's in the Monty Python Sketch is because it's a essential part of English heritage to the point of naffness, so it would make sense for the sort of Middle class people who the Pythons most often lampooned to hum it.

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2007, 08:13:26 AM »
Oh, there's another Christmas song I'm trying to remember, see if you can help me out: It kinda goes
Da dadad, dadadada, dee dedede, dededede, denenenene denenene denenene hmmhmmhmhm.
Know that one?

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2007, 08:20:30 AM »
Jingle Bell Rock?

I think YOU'RE the one who can communicate in onomatopoeia... that post made perfect sense to me. ;)