Author Topic: One Odd Fact about the STATE you live in  (Read 10539 times)

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
Re: One Odd Fact about the STATE you live in
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2007, 10:25:06 PM »
My hometown of Newburgh was the last encampment of the Continental Army in the closing months of the Revolution. In fact, it was while George Washington stayed here, at what is now the historical site known as Washington's Headquarters:

...that he received and vehemently rejected the Newburgh Letter, which proposed in writing that Washington be King of the United States. This is why we have a Washington Street, a Washington Road, a Washington Avenue, a Washington Place, a Washington Boulevard, a Washington Terrace, a Washington Way, a Washington Circle, a Washington Heights, a Washington Point, and a seriously inept postal service.

I've just discovered that Newburgh has its own Wikipedia entry, which is full of interesting facts, some of which I was not aware of, such as having the highest ratio of houses of worship to residents of any city in the country. I'm not sure what to think of that... And in 2004 New York State declared it one of the state's five most "stressed" cities, based on a mix of statistics like families headed by single mothers, abandoned buildings, unemployment, residents under the poverty line, and adults without a high school diploma. Home, sweet home. 8)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 10:29:24 PM by Sharktopus »

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3701
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2007, 01:03:26 AM »
The city of Albuquerque, inspired by the episode of the Simpsons where the Isotopes were being secretly bought by Albuquerque, actually named their baseball team the Isotopes.

http://www.albuquerquebaseball.com/

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
« Reply #47 on: August 07, 2007, 01:10:23 AM »
The city of Albuquerque, inspired by the episode of the Simpsons where the Isotopes were being secretly bought by Albuquerque, actually named their baseball team the Isotopes.

That is very cool.

Offline Hebs

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #48 on: August 07, 2007, 07:20:34 AM »

That is very cool.

That's funny - I was once passing through Kentucky and just like in the Monorail episode - "Ogdenville" was really on the map ;)
.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #49 on: August 07, 2007, 07:28:21 AM »

That is very cool.

That's funny - I was once passing through Kentucky and just like in the Monorail episode - "Ogdenville" was really on the map ;)

Think that's funny Detroit actually has the monorail

Tee hee "The People Mover - WE'LL TAKE YOU THERE" (not sure why they have to shout that last part) as long as "there" is a distinctly centralized bit of the city.

Offline SecretAgentSuperDragon

• Cake or Death?
« Reply #50 on: August 07, 2007, 10:30:14 AM »
Okay. I'll play along.

Washington is the only state to have over 400 sasquatch sightings(411). Next closest: California, w/ 360.

The Western Washington Fairgrounds, where people from all over come to go to the Puyallup Fair was once known as the Japanese internment camp, Camp Harmony, which at one time, held around 7000 Japanese-Americans.

Seattle has the most worthless monorail ever. The one mile track has 2 stops: the Space Needle, and Pike Place Market.

The Hanford nuclear facility alongside the Columbia River in Richland manufactured the plutonium that was used in the very first Trinity A-bomb test, as well as the Nagasaki A-Bomb "Fat Man". Most notable was the discovery of a bong in a highly restricted area of the nuclear site.

Offline Hebs

• Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2007, 05:22:41 AM »
Well all this historical jibbahjabbah is cool, but does your town have a...

BUSTER CRAB?!
  (Get it?  Like Buster Crabbe?  Flash Gordon?  Eh?}

He hangs out on the roof of the Sole Proprietor in Worcester - a seafood restaurant if you couldn't tell from the lovely puns :)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2007, 05:51:53 AM »
Oh it's a big thing competition you want eh? I see your crab and I raise you a big fecking tire!:

Edit:

Just to clarify, that's not a random image it's right outside Detroit Metro Airport.

The nail is now gone, it was removed a few years ago and bought by a man in Warren, it tours country fairs ::)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 06:05:52 AM by TripeHoundRedux »

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
« Reply #53 on: August 08, 2007, 05:53:26 AM »
Well all this historical jibbahjabbah is cool, but does your town have a...

BUSTER CRAB?!
  (Get it?  Like Buster Crabbe?  Flash Gordon?  Eh?}

He hangs out on the roof of the Sole Proprietor in Worcester - a seafood restaurant if you couldn't tell from the lovely puns :)

That is the most punny post I've ever read that wasn't written by BBQPlatypus.

I was on the train once going through White Plains, past the big Domino plant and said, without thinking, "Hey, the Domino Sugar plant. Sweet." I deserve to be slapped for that.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 06:03:55 AM by Sharktopus »

Offline Hebs

• Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #54 on: August 08, 2007, 06:02:40 AM »
Oh it's a big thing competition you want eh? I see your crab and I raise you a big fecking tire!:

Call!

I was on the train once going through White Plains, past the big Domino plant and said, without thinking, "Hey, the Domino Sugar plant. Sweet." I deserve to be slapped for that.

[slp]Slaps Sharktopus[/slp]

Sometimes it can't be helped. 
Like when you use the word 'gander' to go look at the geese by the pond.  My official members card from the "Cool Kids Club" was revoked.

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #55 on: August 08, 2007, 02:42:23 PM »
I see your crap, and raise you this crap from Nebraska:

Carhenge motherfuckers.  Eat it!
On timeout

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #56 on: August 08, 2007, 03:51:01 PM »
BTA wins for random junk!  :scared:

...unless someone has a trump card?
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2007, 04:39:47 PM »
We've got a giant cow

and a two-story outhouse

« Last Edit: August 08, 2007, 05:15:04 PM by TripeHoundRedux »

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2007, 05:07:41 PM »
Didn't see the picture, but I can assume you should avoid using the lower floor of that outhouse.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2007, 05:16:21 PM »
What the hell? First my signature won't display now the pics of the two story out house and giant cow won't either? Yet the link is right there.