login

Author Topic: One Odd Fact about the STATE you live in  (Read 10277 times)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: One Odd Fact about the STATE you live in
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2007, 01:15:56 PM »

This was the best I could find. They stopped picking up the litter and so the agreement was terminated.

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2007, 01:27:17 PM »
That's awesome.  I'll just use my imagination with the Rosa Parks sign.

Now if you could get a picture of the Klu Klux Klan picking up trash in front of the sign saying Rosa Parks Hwy, that would make me cry.
On timeout

Offline BEERxTaco

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 25
  • Does this bug you? I'm not touching you...
    • BEERx
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2007, 01:29:36 PM »
Yup that's it... I've never seen both signs together, but here's the Rosa Parks sign. And I made an unforgivable error speaking about this from memory. The Rosa Parks Highway is on I-55 (not I-44) located between I-270 and Butler Hill Road, before the Meramec River. It's about 10 minutes from my house, I should be ashamed...

No Standing... lol.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 01:38:08 PM by BEERxTaco »
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"
-Dean Wormer, Animal House R.I.P.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2007, 05:33:29 PM »
My hometown is "proud" to claim author James Patterson as a native son. He fled and never came back, but I can't really blame him. Mr Hilfiger, teacher at South Junior High, is fashion magnate Tommy's brother.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 10:34:39 PM by Sharktopus »

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2007, 05:51:45 PM »
My birthplace, Houlton, Maine is the northern end of Interstate 95.  It is also the county seat of Aroostook County, the largest county east of the Missippi river.  It was the location of the first transatlantic Radio Intelligence Station.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2007, 10:13:58 PM »
My hometown of Newburgh nearly ended up with that giant ugly statue of Columbus that's currently rusting in pieces in Puerto Rico. Thankfully, the local Unico chapter complained that it would overshadow the perfectly good life-size statue of Columbus they erected on the waterfront in 1992. Why we even need one satue of Columbus overlooking the Hudson River is beyond me...

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2007, 05:18:36 AM »
OK here's a good one about Michigan:

It's called the Wolverine state and you find Wolverines all over the place as symbols but until a single sighting in 2004 there hadn't been proof of there actually being Wolverines in the state for about 200 years.

Offline Moose

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
  • I'm the wind, baby!
« Reply #37 on: August 04, 2007, 05:12:36 AM »
Luton, in Bedfordshire, was voted the most crap town in the UK.

I can't help but wonder who conducted that poll.  :D

Was that from The Idler Magazine?

It was.
In 2003 they did a list of crap towns just based on their own opinions, and Hull came first.
Then, because so many people complained that it wasn't fair, in 2004 they did it again, but this time they opened it up to a public vote.
Luton came first. The people have spoken.

Despite that, Luton is still the chosen airport that the national football (soccer) team fly out from, and back to, when playing abroad.

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #38 on: August 04, 2007, 11:56:27 AM »
Nova Scotia, where I live now, is bordered on one side by the Bay of Fundy, which has the world's largest tidal distance (the vertical distance that the water recedes between high and low tides). The highest recorded tidal distance in the Bay of Fundy is over 15 meters (45 feet). There are places where, for about a 1-2 hour stretch during low tide, you can actually walk along the bottom of the ocean, all the way across the bay to the land on the other side (I've done it).

There are some really spiffy rock formations that you can see just poking out of the water at high tide, and at low tide they are massive towers of rock, some of which have little caves under them that you can walk around in. It's faboo.

I'll have to dig around a little to find something weird/interesting about my birthplace (Huntington Beach, California).
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 08:09:10 PM by ChaosFromOrder »
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Kzinistzerg

« Reply #39 on: August 04, 2007, 07:57:20 PM »
The state I live in? You mean denial?

Philadelphia's suburbs are one of the few places in America wherein the grid laid out is rotated 45 degree off of roads actually going n-s e-e. This makes it really freaking annoying to try to go, actually, south, because you usually end up ramming into a tree.

EDIT: and the other fact about pennsylvania: PA is actually a suburb of New York
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 07:59:19 PM by Kzinistzerg »

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2007, 10:34:46 PM »
There are some really spiffy rock formations that you can see just poking out of the water at high tide, and at low tide they are massive towers of rock, some of which have little caves under them that you can walk around in. It's faboo.

That is very cool. Chaos wins the thread!

Philadelphia's suburbs are one of the few places in America wherein the grid laid out is rotated 45 degree off of roads actually going n-s e-e. This makes it really freaking annoying to try to go, actually, south, because you usually end up ramming into a tree.

Argh, tell me about it. The greater Philly area is the most aggravating driving I've ever done.

EDIT: and the other fact about pennsylvania: PA is actually a suburb of New York

As a New Yorker, I feel that I should point out that everything is a suburb of New York;D

acoletterose

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2007, 03:19:20 PM »
My hometown of North Tonawanda, NY was once in the Guinness World Book of Records for having the most amount of bars in a one mile stretch. Of course that could be a random thing that we made up because I tried to look up how many there actually were and I couldn't find any. It would make sense though. We have had Bars in little cottages behind Bars. Bars on top of Bars. Bars completely surrounded by Bars. Most of them have closed down now. The town's too poor to keep them open.

If it isn't true then my hometown of North Tonawanda is probably the only town in the world that has managed to delude itself into thinking that it was in the GWBR for something as pathetic as having an inordinately high number of bars.

Offline Hebs

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2007, 07:25:17 AM »
As a New Yorker, I feel that I should point out that everything is a suburb of New York;D

Saul Steinberg agrees with you, Shark :)
.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2007, 07:39:51 AM »

Saul Steinberg agrees with you, Shark :)

If only they saw the US that way.  Maybe they'd stay where they are.

Most popular bumper sticker in Florida: "Happiness is a Canadian heading north with a New Yorker under each arm".   ;)

Offline AmazingThor

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 14
  • Spam fed the Russian army
« Reply #44 on: August 06, 2007, 08:51:41 PM »
To all football fans, the University of Oklahoma holds the record for the longest winning streak.

Also, I went to college with Carrie Underwood.