Author Topic: One Odd Fact about the STATE you live in  (Read 10088 times)

Offline eclipt1c

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
Re: One Odd Fact about the STATE you live in
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2007, 08:52:54 PM »
Virginia - I think we're the only state whose governor is limited to 1 term, so he's virtually useless.

Also, our official title is the Commonwealth of Virginia, so I don't even think we're a state.
'Skip to the End' - Spaced

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2007, 08:54:29 PM »
Well hello Mr. Fancy Pants

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Principal_Skin-trade

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2007, 10:05:10 PM »
The odd fact about my State is that you're only leading two things: Jack and Shit, and Jack left town.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2007, 10:09:00 PM »
Al Lewis (Grampa on the Munsters) ran a Quixotic campaign for Governor of New York in 1998 for the Green Party ticket. He got 52,533 votes, coming in fifth.

Also, there is no such thing as Grand Central Station. It's Grand Central Terminal, you stupid out-of-towners. ;)

Well hello Mr. Fancy Pants

:D

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2007, 10:30:28 PM »
Also, there is no such thing as Grand Central Station. It's Grand Central Terminal, you stupid out-of-towners. ;)

Joan Crawford's character in Clair Luce Booth's The Women calls it Grand Central Station....

Or is that movie just filled with a lot of native New Yorkers who are stupid?   
« Last Edit: August 01, 2007, 10:42:20 PM by Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck »

Offline Moose

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
  • I'm the wind, baby!
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2007, 11:09:29 PM »
Luton, in Bedfordshire, was voted the most crap town in the UK.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2007, 11:16:25 PM »

I can't help but wonder who conducted that poll.  :D

Joan Crawford's character in Clair Luce Booth's The Women calls it Grand Central Station....

Or is that movie just filled with a lot of native New Yorkers who are stupid?   

New York, like most major urban areas, is chock full of stupid people. It's best not to make eye contact.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2007, 06:26:25 AM »

Was that from The Idler Magazine?

I'm going to have to have a long think about interesting facts about the following places:

Swindon, where I was born
Cork, where I'm really "from" (my mother happened to drop the sprog while in one of the dullest cities in England)
Warwickshire where I mostly grew up (left Cork aged 2)
Winchester, Where I went to college
and finally
Michigan, where I'm living.

Offline Hebs

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2007, 07:18:28 AM »

Thank you, Mr. Vanderbuilt ;)

Can I list a few instead of one?

Massachusetts :
 ++ Just over a small hill from the house I grew up in,  Robert Goddard successfully launched the first liquid-fueled rocket.  It's now a golf course.
 ++ Subsequently, the town changed its basketball team's name from "The Auburn Dandies" to "The Auburn Rockets."      Wise choice.
 ++ Harvey Ball, the man who created the smiley icon in the 60s is from Worcester, and was intensely bitter about Wal-Mart taking the logo with no    royalties, or even a single payment to him.
 ++ Denis Leary went on the David Letterman Show a few years back for the "Top Ten US Accents"  and he represented Worcester.  Woot. 
.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2007, 11:10:12 AM »
Well, since the thread is called One Odd Fact...., you are disqualified.  Please leave.  No just kidding.
On timeout

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2007, 11:23:21 AM »
Massachusetts kicks ass! They turned the first liquid fueled rocket into a friggin golf course!

Speaking of golf courses... my home state of Michigan, despite being a nasty place to play the game at least half the year, has the third most golf courses in the country. (and the most golf courses per capita.)

YoohooRiffer

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2007, 12:09:22 PM »
Illinois: ummm...Lincoln?...Chicago?...Barack Obama?...Wait I got one.

Illinois' State Fossil is the Tully Monster which is a fossil that has only been found in IL.

Offline BEERxTaco

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 25
  • Does this bug you? I'm not touching you...
    • BEERx
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2007, 12:51:41 PM »

I was born in Dayton, and lived several formative years of my life in Columbus, however I call St. Louis home and I must take issue with this claim. While there is plenty of controversy surrounding the invention of the hot dog, here in St. Louis we've always taken credit for it, and there seems to be some evidence to back it up, but I have never seen Ohio mentioned.

Quote from: Wikipedia
Claims of "invention" of the hot dog are difficult to assess, because different stories assert the creation of the sausage itself, the placing of the sausage (or another kind of sausage) on bread or a bun as finger food, the mass popularization of the existing dish, or the application of the name "hot dog" to a sausage and bun combination.

The city of Vienna traces the lineage of the hot dog to the wienerwurst or Viennese sausage, the city of Frankfurt to the frankfurter wurst, which it claims was invented in the 1480s; the hot dog has also been attributed to Johann Georghehner, a 17th century butcher from the Bavarian city of Coburg who is said to have invented the "dachshund" or "little-dog" sausage and brought it to Frankfurt.[1]

Around 1870 on Coney Island, a German immigrant named Charles Feltman began selling sausages in rolls.[2][3][4]

Others have also been acknowledged for supposedly having "invented" the hot dog, including

Missouri Odd Fact: The Ku Klux Klan participated in the "adopt-a-highway" program here, much to everyone's dismay, but there was no legal recourse to prevent it. The powers that be countered by renaming that stretch of I-44 near Eureka (Home of Six Flags Over Mid-America) to The Rosa Parks Highway. Nice touch!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2007, 01:03:30 PM by BEERxTaco »
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"
-Dean Wormer, Animal House R.I.P.

Offline BEERxTaco

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 25
  • Does this bug you? I'm not touching you...
    • BEERx
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2007, 01:05:31 PM »
The association between hot dogs and baseball may have began as early as 1893 with Chris von der Ahe, a German immigrant who owned not only the St. Louis Browns, but also an amusement park, beer garden and brewery near Sportsman's Park, where he sold his beer.[7]

BTW, does he sound like a fun guy or what?
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"
-Dean Wormer, Animal House R.I.P.

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2007, 01:11:41 PM »

I was born in Dayton, and lived several formative years of my life in Columbus, however I call St. Louis home and I must take issue with this claim. While there is plenty of controversy surrounding the invention of the hot dog, here in St. Louis we've always taken credit for it, and there seems to be some evidence to back it up, but I have never seen Ohio mentioned.

Claims of "invention" of the hot dog are difficult to assess, because different stories assert the creation of the sausage itself, the placing of the sausage (or another kind of sausage) on bread or a bun as finger food, the mass popularization of the existing dish, or the application of the name "hot dog" to a sausage and bun combination.

The city of Vienna traces the lineage of the hot dog to the wienerwurst or Viennese sausage, the city of Frankfurt to the frankfurter wurst, which it claims was invented in the 1480s; the hot dog has also been attributed to Johann Georghehner, a 17th century butcher from the Bavarian city of Coburg who is said to have invented the "dachshund" or "little-dog" sausage and brought it to Frankfurt.[1]

Around 1870 on Coney Island, a German immigrant named Charles Feltman began selling sausages in rolls.[2][3][4]

Others have also been acknowledged for supposedly having "invented" the hot dog, including

Missouri Odd Fact: The Ku Klux Klan participated in the "adopt-a-highway" program here, much to everyone's dismay, but there was no legal recourse to prevent it. The powers that be countered by renaming that stretch of I-44 near Eureka (Home of Six Flags Over Mid-America) to The Rosa Parks Highway. Nice touch!

Now if you had a pic of the signage from the Highway where it said "Rosa Parks Highway" "This stretch adopted by the Klu Klux Klan" that would be awesome.
On timeout