Author Topic: Actual honest question for Mike  (Read 3993 times)

Offline Winterkid

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
Re: Actual honest question for Mike
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2006, 01:10:09 AM »
An open letter to the director of Soultaker,

So you made a film that wasn't up to average standards.  Be proud of your work if you must, but I'd be more proud of the fact that it wasn't one of the ones that MST3K decided NOT to riff on.  They only chose the films that had at least something to riff, something to work with.  Sure they did really bad movies, but there had to be something at least tolerable there.  Some of the films they watched were so hideous, so irredeemable, so boring they were beyond any possible funniness.

Offline Tarantulas

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 3
  • #97 Rifftrax Fan in the World!
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2006, 12:57:17 PM »
I think you guys are being too hard on the guy.  I think he had a good sense of humor about it being riffed, just didn't like the fact that the movie is being judged from a completely edited version of the film.

I think it's along the same lines where directors can stamp their Allen Smythe on the airplane versions of their films.

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2006, 01:02:18 PM »
Wasn't Vivian Schilling herself on an MST3K panel at some convention?  If so, it would seem to indicate that she didn't think the guys "went too far" or stepped "over the line" or anything.  And when I first saw the episode, I didn't think they directed any more criticism on her than they do most other actors in the movies on MST3K.  I think they bashed the boyfriend a lot worse than her.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline Gibborino

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2006, 03:29:21 PM »
Yeah, and they were really hard on the actor who played the blond guy.

Mike: Wow, his long hair in back is completely distracting me from the fact that he's balding in front!

Mike: He's preparing for the mother of all comb-overs.

Crow: The lead singer of Mister Mister looks concerned.

Great episode.

Offline daltysmilth

• My Space
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2006, 10:03:04 PM »
Anyone ever read the interview with Cory Geryak, the special effects guy/cinematographer/camera operator who worked on Future War?  The one whose credit Crow chose to ignore?  He was pretty complimentary to MST3K commentary to that movie, and he even says that MST3K is "the only way that the movie is remotely watchable, so I'm grateful that MST3K made it somewhat entertaining." 

Offline King Rygar

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #20 on: December 17, 2006, 06:59:55 PM »
I don't feel sorry for that guy at all. The movie sucked hard and he needs to own up to that, and learn to accept the riffing of his movie as an honor. Maybe now at least in some form his movie will live on thanks to it being part of mst3k, whereas before I think we all know there never would have been a cult following for Soultaker! He made an absolute fool of himself for defending his pile, and making excuses made it even worse. So a storm made the movie suck? A guy up in a tree yelling curse words made the movie suck? Hmmmmm. When you make something for the whole world to see, yes, be ready for a burnin' if it sucks. That's true for everything out there.

Rant over  ;D

Offline daltysmilth

• My Space
« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2006, 07:55:36 PM »
This guy's sense of humor (or apparent lack thereof) aside, he did go out and make a movie, which is more than I can say for most of the people I know.  Filmmaker Josh Becker often points out on his website that it's hard to make a good movie and it's hard to make a bad movie.  It's basically just hard to make any movie is the point, I guess.