login

Author Topic: RRRRRAAAAARRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!  (Read 1487897 times)

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3896
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: RRRRRAAAAARRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!
« Reply #20400 on: September 07, 2019, 07:46:30 PM »
A quick followup to this..
I contacted my local Postal Union rep about this and he's never heard of this second 90 day probationary period either and assured me he will look into it. If I have Annual Leave shown on my paycheck stub, then I should be able to use it.
If this second 90 day probationary period actually does exist and it's preventing me (and other new full career employees) from using my earned annual leave time then he could file a motion with the regional Postal Union in Charlotte, NC. to see about getting this bizarre rule changed and/or eliminated.
He agreed with me that it makes no sense to go through a second 90 day probationary period just for going full career when the original 90 days I did last year when I was originally hired as a non-career PSE (Postal Support Employee) should have been enough.
We'll see how this all shakes out..
Well I'm SoL! Apparently this second 90 days probationary period does exist. I am basically hired as a 'new' employee when I'm promoted to full time career employee and I am not allowed to take any annual vacation during this second 90 day period so I accidentally became a guinea pig for future career postal employees.
From my Union rep:
New employees earn annual leave but are not credited with the leave and may not take it
prior to completing ninety days of continuous employment (ELM, Section 512.313(b)).
There is an exception for employees who transfer without a break in service.

Apparently giving you LWOP is legitimate and therefore does not warrant a grievance. I doubt they knew this so the supervisor's story about it being flagged is probably legitimate because I didn’t know it either. It sucks but that being said they shouldn’t have granted it in the first place and therefore if you want to cancel any other leave you have on the calendar within your 90 days just tell the lead clerk or whoever is handling the leave calendar that I said its not Annual Leave and shouldn’t be on the calendar in the first place. If you want to take it and its already on there just go ahead but realize they will charge it as LWOP during that first 90 days.
Just fucking awesome  :angry:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 08:44:12 PM by RVR II »

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #20401 on: September 07, 2019, 11:45:47 PM »
So do you still have the hours you accrued before switching to career or are the hours shown new ones that you just can't take for a few more weeks?  If your old job was terminated and you are "new", then how can you have those hours?  I guess people doing what you did doesn't happen that often so they don't really know how to deal with it?

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #20402 on: September 08, 2019, 04:42:28 AM »
So do you still have the hours you accrued before switching to career or are the hours shown new ones that you just can't take for a few more weeks?  If your old job was terminated and you are "new", then how can you have those hours?  I guess people doing what you did doesn't happen that often so they don't really know how to deal with it?
Yes the 88 hours I've had are still there but I can't use them until after Sept. 22 (and the calendar is booked through November and we're not allowed to take any vacation in December so I couldn't take any vacation time till next year anyway). Yeah that's the baffling part.. I don't know.. That's probably true as the last person to go regular was over 4 1/2 years ago so it looks like this rule was just forgotten about..
It's probably one of the craziest rules I've ever heard of but apparently it's legit and the union apparently won't do anything about changing it nor eliminating it :-[
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 05:01:36 AM by RVR II »

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2649
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #20403 on: September 08, 2019, 05:59:00 PM »
Absolutely bonkers rule, but shittier than that is no one pointing it out to you.
FINE

Online RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #20404 on: September 09, 2019, 12:05:40 AM »
Absolutely bonkers rule, but shittier than that is no one pointing it out to you.
Agreed!
Just under 2 weeks to go and this second 90 days is done and over with.

Offline CJones

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 744
  • 5000 deaths and counting
« Reply #20405 on: September 23, 2019, 10:32:07 AM »
I just fell in my grocery store parking lot. Tripped over one of those concrete blocks they put at the head of parking spaces. Didn't break any bones, miraculously, but I've fallen and broken bones an astonishing number of times in the last 5 or so years. My father had Osteoporosis and Meniere's Disease. A really bad combination to have. I've already been diagnosed with Osteopenia, so I'm afraid I'm headed down the same path.

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1545
« Reply #20406 on: September 23, 2019, 11:35:58 AM »
That really sucks, but I’m glad you didn’t break anything.

Offline Pastor of Muppets

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 376
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #20407 on: October 01, 2019, 09:43:53 AM »
I am feverishly playing Dragon Quest 11. The game is split into 3 Acts. The online guide I found said that there are 55 mini medals in the first act. Yesterday, I followed that one to the letter and only found 52. It's driving me slightly bonkers. I should be able to get at least 54, since I missed one which is in a place currently not accessible to me.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline Lesbunny

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 521
  • Bowsette is bae
« Reply #20408 on: October 07, 2019, 06:35:24 AM »
So, I asked my boss for time off in two weeks. Her response was that it's not enough notice. I told her it was because I'm dealing with burnout and seasonal affective right now. She said that if I can find coverage, fine, otherwise I'm SOL. I responded with essentially "Bitch what" but in corporate speak: "I was under the impression that the standard for asking for time off was two weeks." Later, after I talked to a friend, she said "You';re not allowed time off!" as a joke, and I replied "Well, then I guess I'll kill myself." About 15 minutes later, I realized I wasn't joking. So now I'm spending my day off talking to a therapist to see if I can get a letter recommending immediate medical leave for stress related reasons. If that doesn't work, I'll be calling the hospital I was in back in July and seeing if they have a bed available for me for a while. At the same time, I'm looking for another job. My old DON is currently looking for night aides at her new facility and she fucking loved me, so I probably could get on there, but it's not like there's a shortage of CNA jobs, or jobs that can use my skillset. Depending on how today goes, I'm going to contact my boss and say "Hey, I'll be off in two weeks one way or another." I need this time off. I'm working long hours and getting treated like a servant for a bunch of ungrateful people in both management AND people who I'm caring for.

UPDATE: Got the letter from my therapist, took it in. Boss's tone indicates that she's going to be looking for a reason to fire me now. Good thing I've got job opportunities lined up already.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2019, 12:38:06 PM by Lesbunny »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5183
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #20409 on: October 13, 2019, 05:26:18 AM »
Glad to hear you are getting some time off.  You need it and you deserve it.