Poll

What do you, Rifftrax fan, think of fan fiction?

I read fan fiction
I read and write fan fiction
I enjoy authorized 'extended universe' books and productions, but not fan fiction
I only watch the authorized television shows and movies, I avoid  everything else

Author Topic: Fan Fiction?  (Read 30521 times)

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
Re: Fan Fiction?
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2007, 03:37:31 PM »
Of course you could go the E-Ragon route and rip off a bunch of existing stories with thinly veild attemps to change key parts as to be not completely obvious.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2007, 03:59:44 PM »
Ooh! I have an original idea!
This group of traders, they respond to this call they hear coming from a dark forest, but when they get there, they realize everybody in the forest is dead. Then, one of the traders goes looking for any possible survivors, and finds himself in a field of magic eggs. One of the eggs hatches, and a tiny little goblin hops out and latches onto his face.
Several hours later, the goblin falls off the guys face, dead. Later, as the guy is eating lunch in the dark forest, a baby dragon smashes it's way out of his chest. Soon it's full grown, and it starts attacking people. To make matters worse, it has, let's say, acid blood.

Interested in hearing the rest?

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2007, 04:11:34 PM »
Hey, Ive already seen that one!  And I have to say I liked it better the first time, when it was called Troll 2!

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2007, 04:13:00 PM »
 :clap: :D

Kzinistzerg

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2007, 06:13:38 PM »
Well, the more recent battletech fanfiction is quite well done. Occasionally someone produces a non-vomit-upon-worthy starcraft fanfiction, and if i can expose my incredible nerdiness right here, bionicle fanfiction can sometimes be quite good. You just have to find the gems among the junk.

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2007, 01:05:38 AM »
I actually read alot of fanfiction (Usually Harry Potter Kingdom Hearts Star Wars) and i'm actually working on a Kingdom Hearts story at the moment, though I also have a Buffy/Scrubs crossover

...stone him!  :angry:

*throws a pebble at you*
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2007, 06:36:18 AM »
A Scrubs/Buffy crossover.  Thats something I would have never thought of

Offline PlayMSTie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2007, 08:29:37 AM »
Fan fiction, to me, feels too much like plagiarizing. If I'm going to write something, I want it to be in my universe with my characters. Using other people's universe and characters without their permission just feels wrong somehow.

Depends what universe and characters you're using. I've seen cases where fanfiction writers have taken the characters and actually done a MUCH better job with them than the crappy writers of the actual show or movie.

I'm no moral relativist, but I can't shake a feeling that in such cases, the fanfiction writers have a better moral right to those characters than the "official" writers who have wasted and misused them!
"There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal." C. S. Lewis

Bring back Bridget!

Offline KingOfShippers

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2007, 05:42:02 PM »
I actually read alot of fanfiction (Usually Harry Potter Kingdom Hearts Star Wars) and i'm actually working on a Kingdom Hearts story at the moment, though I also have a Buffy/Scrubs crossover

...stone him!  :angry:

*throws a pebble at you*

Somebody  I'm expecting has taken my username for granted, i don't write tales of romance and happyness, I write dark tales of misey

Offline Cibernético II

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Vadinho says: YOU are the Pumaman.
    • My Space
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2007, 10:29:14 PM »
fanfic can be good.

I admit though, I generally only read the naughty ones
I really do like pie.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2007, 05:04:53 AM »
fanfic can be good.

I admit though, I generally only read the naughty ones

What's the point otherwise?

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2008, 09:52:46 PM »
I write fanfiction.

I am a self-concious writer. I try to limit my original characters to villains and minor characters and not try to surplant any main characters.

I  have a number of completed Teen Titans fanfictions, although I'm working on an inuyasha fanfic, and I have a fanfic idea for, well, just about any book I've ever read or movie I've ever seen. It happens automatically, The very act of watching or reading source material causes me to conceive fanfic ideas as a psychological byproduct.

I have certain bits of fetish-specific fanservice in my stories, but they're all tastefully done, resulting from the natural progression of the narrative, and unless I told you before-hand what to look for and what the fetish was you probably wouldn't even spot it.

I do my best to not go out of character. I use only canon shippings. I try to keep the OCs I create more or less in keeping with the spirit of the show. For example, my living stereotype villain Frenchy is a direct counterpart to the canon character Mad Mod. As for the vampire cheerleaders, well, that's just plain fun.

I am familiar with fanfics.

I am familiar with bad fanfiction.

I am familiar with really bad fanfiction.

The thing I am most familiar with, however, is badly written wg fanfiction.
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline DarthChimay

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • How can a Pope be such a hottie?
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2008, 02:17:57 PM »
Once, a very long time ago, I wrote a Vampire Princess Miyu/X-Files fanfic. I am horribly ashamed of it. It's amazing that I ever talked a woman into touching me.

Have any of you read MST fanfic, aka Mistings? If not, it's a real treat.

http://home.netcom.com/~mblackwl/

Just two words... Stephen Ratliff.

Offline Matt B

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 3
    • The Stephen Ratliff Misting Archive
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2008, 03:14:42 PM »

Ratliff? Never heard of him.

Offline KingOfShippers

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2008, 03:39:55 PM »

Ratliff? Never heard of him.

Really? well your a lucky one, cause then you wouldn't have to know of his unholy fetish for Marrissa Picard, made even more wrong that he eventually pairs her with Wesley Crusher, who if I remember correctly is her Step-brother.