Poll

What do you, Rifftrax fan, think of fan fiction?

I read fan fiction
I read and write fan fiction
I enjoy authorized 'extended universe' books and productions, but not fan fiction
I only watch the authorized television shows and movies, I avoid  everything else

Author Topic: Fan Fiction?  (Read 32200 times)

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
Re: Fan Fiction?
« Reply #165 on: November 03, 2008, 01:54:27 PM »
Also, I, too, have suspected Peter Chimaera of not being the genuine article.  "Quarter-Life" is still hilarious, though (funnier than "Repercussions of Evil," if you ask me).
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

Offline BBQ Platypus

« Reply #166 on: November 26, 2008, 04:33:36 PM »
From the same brilliant mind who brought you "Half-Life: Full Life Consequences" comes "Metal Gear Solid: Fight of Metal Gears!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wkKH1G9TJN4&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/wkKH1G9TJN4&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

Kzinistzerg

« Reply #167 on: December 02, 2008, 06:59:04 PM »
Oh, my god, dancing Yagrum Bagarn. AWESOME.

(unless he's practicing Kung-Fu? That's still awesome, though)

*ahem* what was this thread about?

Offline BBQ Platypus

« Reply #168 on: December 02, 2008, 07:54:44 PM »
Oh, my god, dancing Yagrum Bagarn. AWESOME.

(unless he's practicing Kung-Fu? That's still awesome, though)

*ahem* what was this thread about?

Bad fanfiction.  I just showed you an example (featuring a video compiled by a guy who does the best David Hayter impersonation I've ever heard).

I think the Yagrum Bagarn GIF may have been taken from the game - his "attack" move (even though he can't cause you any damage).  But I'm not sure.  I don't care either way, because those jazz hands at the end are just awesome.  Even if he's not dancing, it looks enough like it for me to say that yeah, he pretty much is.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2008, 07:56:15 PM by BBQ Platypus »

Offline DarthChimay

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
  • How can a Pope be such a hottie?
« Reply #169 on: December 08, 2008, 11:58:00 AM »
From the same brilliant mind who brought you "Half-Life: Full Life Consequences" comes "Metal Gear Solid: Fight of Metal Gears!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wkKH1G9TJN4&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/wkKH1G9TJN4&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

?

!

Offline Toby Danger

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #170 on: December 08, 2008, 03:52:58 PM »
I couldn't let this thread go by without shining a spotlight on quite possibly the most insane, badly written crossover fanfic ever encountered. This thing is so bad, I only dare point you towards the MSTed version of it. (which is quite hilarious, and well worth the read)

I give you... The Misery Senshi Neo-Zero Double Blitzkreig Debacle!
And yes, that is the full title. Oh, where to begin with this one...

How about the plot? Daria (she of the MTV cartoon) is asked to come to Japan by Sailor Moon and the Sailor Senshi, who ask her to take the place of Sailor Mercury while Ami goes to school abroad. While Daria acts like a petulant cow over the job, (in fact, her character is totally OCC throughout) Ami's flight is highjacked by an Islamic terrorist who makes the passenger's sing Cat Stevens songs for some reason. Ami throws the guy out, and crashlands the plane in Daria's hometown, which is when an evil gangt of white supremist militia men storm in and take over the town. This prompts the crazy shouting teacher from Daria to gather everyone to form a group of freedom fighters. Oh, and Beavis and Butthead show up and try to rape Daria's sister.

Meanwhile in Japan, another evil terrorist group, this one led by a crazy Nazi scientist, steal a prototype jet plane and proceed to bomb Tokyo with it. Now you think the Sailor Senshi, of all people, would be able to handle a single plane, but they hardly do anything to stop it. Hell, no one even lifts a finger to just shoot the damn plane down until the very end. After meeting a superhero called the Solar Warrior (who gets an entire chapter devoted to his origin story even though it has NO bearing on the plot whatsoever) Daria takes the reins and through inconcievable luck, managesd to resolve both problems in both countries, becomes a hero to all, and gets her secret wish to be the most popular girl in school. And in between, we get long, pointless speeches and essays on politics and Japanese history, fight scenes which last all of two minutes, characters acting like complete buffoons, and bizarrely, a complete appendix of all the Japanese culture references.

It truly takes an insane mind to commit something like this story to text. Check your brain at the door if you try to read this one.

Offline BBQ Platypus

« Reply #171 on: January 17, 2009, 11:33:19 PM »
And now for something completely different: an actual, sincere recommendation.

I've just encountered an in-progress novelization of Command & Conquer 3 that is so good, I've actually bookmarked it for easy access when the next update comes.  Apparently, the author felt that the official novelization was fuck-awful (and judging from the things he's said about it, it sounds like a fair assessment), and got the inspiration to make one of his own.  Anyway, the guy has an attention to detail and accuracy in portraying these military operations that is nothing short of amazing.  It's VERY good stuff (though it's obviously better if you understand the C&C universe).  This guy knows how to write military sci-fi.

The link is here: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3654039/1/.

Offline BBQ Platypus

« Reply #172 on: February 03, 2009, 01:11:27 PM »

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #173 on: February 04, 2009, 05:23:24 PM »
I'm working on a piece of Teen Titans WG fanfiction with a lovecraftian Wonka esque villain. It's officially novel-length and it's still not done. >_>
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline ImOscardotcom

• Big Montana
« Reply #174 on: February 04, 2009, 05:34:58 PM »
I'm working on a piece of Teen Titans WG fanfiction with a lovecraftian Wonka esque villain. It's officially novel-length and it's still not done. >_>

I pray for you and your loved ones.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 212
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #175 on: February 20, 2009, 10:18:21 PM »
I admit it: I've written three separate pieces, all about Thief: The Dark Project.  Well, sort of.

Way back in 1999, I was a big fan of the games, and spent countless hours hanging out on the TTLG forums posting endlessly about God knows what (unlike today; I've never gone back to anything of the like since!).  The sister site of the forums also hosted a lot of short stories and novels in development.  I started reading them, and noticed something very odd; every single story was taking itself seriously.  This isn't a shot at those stories, mind you, but very few that I had read were humorous.

I set out to change that.  I wrote a very short story, "Unlicensed and Untrained," where three idiots try to rob somebody and end up way in over their heads.  The story had very little to do with the main characters in the game, but was set in the same world and mentions them.

I liked writing for those three guys so much I wrote a longer (but still relatively short) story.  I finished it around 2003 (yeah, sometimes it takes me awhile) called "A Contest of Fools, or, When Zombies Attack!"  Again, the story mainly focuses on my three idiots, but the main character of the games, Garrett, takes a much larger role, as a bunch of thieves are called up to prove they are the best thieves in the city by robbing the city's most haunted graveyard.  Lots of people die in embarrassingly silly ways.

I wanted to get one more story out of them, though, and I just finished a novel length (I think it's around 80,000+) story called "I Married a Pagan!" which isn't out on the site yet.  I'm going to release it serially over the next few weeks (as long as the guy helping me edit is up to the task).  It's actually more of a satire than fan fiction; it is still set in the same world, but I focus more on the conflicts and dogmas of the two main religious groups that feature in the series.  I still tried to make it funny.

I do have real stuff I'm working on, including screenplays and novels.  But stuff like this just keeps distracting me.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline SJP

• Liked: 212
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #176 on: March 02, 2009, 07:43:35 PM »
Quick update: The first part of the story just went up onto the the site March 2nd.  It's at http://www.thief-thecircle.com.  Check it out, if you'd like!

There is a slight error on the site: it's an eight-part, seven day story, not five parts.  No worries.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 01:48:38 PM by SJP »
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline BBQ Platypus

« Reply #177 on: April 09, 2009, 12:04:25 PM »
Finally!  A sequel to FULL LIFE CONSEQUENCES!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/0NiCYPrAoB8&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/0NiCYPrAoB8&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #178 on: June 28, 2009, 08:57:56 PM »

I pray for you and your loved ones.

It's finished now ( though not all of it is uploaded)

Sugar Rush (I can has reviews?)

Also did my first Azumanga Daioh fanfic. <_<
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline THE QUEEN!!!

« Reply #179 on: July 01, 2009, 02:41:16 PM »
I don't read fan fiction, but I might be guilty of writing it. I don't know if it counts as fan fiction, but my sister and I wrote several dada skits with the LOTR hobbits (i.e. FRODO: "Pass the beans." SAM does a double back flip. MERRY: "AAAA! A Walrus!!"). We also wrote newspapers based on the TV show Gargoyles called "Castle Chronicles". We also made lots of radio parodies of things we loved like Star Wars and Alvin and the Chipmunks (called The Potato Chipmunks). Plus we have written several dissertations based on a children's book called a different twist--one in which we proved through concrete evidence embedded in the text that the main character's best friend is Satan's literal child. :) But we don't like that book so we're not fans--it's just easy to make fun of. So if that counts as fan fiction, I'm guilty.
"Kissing is like WiFi. Just get within the general area." ---New Moon RT