Author Topic: Most Riffable Movie  (Read 4472 times)

Offline dignan

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 3
  • If Val's happy, I'm happy!
Re: Most Riffable Movie
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2006, 07:50:47 AM »
Mission To Mars and Vertical Limit were both very easy to riff on.  And I also would nominate The Postman (the Kevin Costner one, not Il Postino). 

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2006, 08:21:10 AM »
One semi-obscure, yet highly riffable movie that I saw was "Extreme Ops," a 2002 film starring nobody (and Bridget Wilson Sampras).  It's a piss-poor European attempt to make an "American-style" action movie in the "dumb fun" vein.  Sadly, it only half-succeeds.  Not even the title of this movie makes sense.  Contrary to what the title may imply, there are NO ACTUAL "OPS" IN THIS MOVIE!!!

Me, shouting at screen:  These guys AREN'T operatives!!!  They don't even have guns, for crying out loud!!!  This is an INSULT to anyone who has ever served in the Special Forces!!!  AAARRRGGHUIORLFKL!!!

There is no action or plot to speak of until the last 10 minutes of the movie - the first hour or so consists of the main "characters" (for lack of a better term) chilling out in a hot tub and writing each other's names in the snow with their own urine.  When the "plot" does come in, it is both very stupid and very European - the obligatory random Serbs want to kill the alleged protagonists for some reason.  (Those crazy Serbs!  You never know WHAT they're going to do next! ) Whatever their motivation to kill them might have been, I'm sure that all three people who actually watched this movie were rooting for the Serbs.  Alas, their noble attempt to kill the annoying twenty-and-thirtysomethings fails when some idiot does a snowboard jump over their helicopter while dragging a cable behind him.  I'm not kidding.  That is seriously how they manage to kill the Serbs.  Anycrap, the crashed helicopter causes an avalanche, which gives the group the opportunity to make the ad they came there to do, which leads to an extremely pointless scene involving snowboarding.  Yep, that's right - this movie was so lacking in creativity that it stole ideas from xXx.  'Nuff said.

I went to this movie with a friend and a couple of my brothers, since there weren't any other decent movies out that I hadn't already seen.  We didn't see any bad reviews for the movie, so we went.  Perhaps we should have paid more attention to the fact that it wasn't screened for critics.

Thank God we were the only people in the theater.  The riffing was all that kept us sane.  Ugh.  As riffable as this movie is, I wouldn't recommend it.  But in the unlikely event that you have to sit through it, forget about the people around you.  Riff the crap out of this, um...crap.  If you don't, your brain will disintegrate into a sloppy puddle of sauerkraut.

And to all European members of this board:  If you have any influence at all in the European film industry, for the love of God, please take action to prevent bad action movies like these from being made!!!  I don't mind if an action movie is dumb, as long as it isn't BRAIN-HEMORRHAGEINGLY BORING, like many Euro action flicks tend to be.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2006, 01:31:32 PM by BBQ Platypus »
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

Offline AmazingThor

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 14
  • Spam fed the Russian army
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2006, 11:17:26 AM »
I find I'm pretty good at chick flicks. I have been banned from watching them with any of my female friends. I had a roomfull of girls laughing by the end of "Steel Magnolias." That's none too easy my friend.

Offline JonnyFrag

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 0
  • Bad Movie Historian
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2006, 11:47:04 AM »
One movie that I have gotten a lot of riffing mileage out of, and it was one that we did as a Homegame, was:
Can't Stop the Music

How can you get through a Village People musical featuring Steve Guttenberg and Bruce Jenner.

Great fun for a group riffing!
Grapes? I hate grapes, I can't stand grapes. I loathe grapes. All kinds of grapes. I hate green grapes and I hate purple grapes. I hate grapes with seeds, I hate grapes without seeds. I hate them peeled and nonpeeled. I hate them in bunches, one at a time and in small groups of twos and threes.

Offline Odarmenian

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2006, 09:25:09 PM »
Chronicles Of Riddick.

I can't believe they spent $105 million on that.  Though Vin Diesel did go through like 80 pairs of sunglasses.