login

Author Topic: Harry Potter 7 Discussion!! (WARNING - SPOILERS)  (Read 7975 times)

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
Re: Harry Potter 7 Discussion!! (WARNING - SPOILERS)
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2007, 11:36:07 AM »
Okay, finished the book last night . . . or this morning, actually (around 6am). Had to wait for my wife to read it first since she's the one who got the book. First off, loved it. It was a little hard to get into it at first, though. Not because of the story itself, but because of the distractions of being a husband and father. So last night I decided to stay up and finish it off after everyone was asleep. Glad I did. Made the book much more enjoyable.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2007, 04:13:00 AM »
The only thing that confused me...

"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2007, 07:49:30 PM »
The only thing that confused me...

Funny enough, I actually figured it out by reading the synopsis on the Wikipedia entry. Who says that site isn't good for anything?

Offline DrForester

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 1
  • You Read It, You Can't Unread it
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2007, 07:15:04 PM »
Okay, finished the book last night . . . or this morning, actually (around 6am). Had to wait for my wife to read it first since she's the one who got the book. First off, loved it. It was a little hard to get into it at first, though. Not because of the story itself, but because of the distractions of being a husband and father. So last night I decided to stay up and finish it off after everyone was asleep. Glad I did. Made the book much more enjoyable.

You Read It, You Can't Un-Read It

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2007, 08:58:57 PM »

My wife said the exact same thing, and I pretty much agree.

Also,
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #35 on: August 20, 2007, 04:38:59 PM »

Offline msmpls

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
  • Watch out for snakes!
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2007, 07:59:34 AM »
Does Harry Potter die?
(I never read any of the books, never seen the movies, really don't care about the franchise, I just want to know if he kicks the bucket or not)
there, there my dear. Few corpses are worth tears.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2007, 08:01:56 AM »
Nope

Offline msmpls

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Watch out for snakes!
« Reply #38 on: September 07, 2007, 08:04:58 AM »
and the franchise lives on!
there, there my dear. Few corpses are worth tears.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2007, 08:11:49 AM »
I hope to God not, though judging by the end there's certainly leeway.

Actually I heard Joanne's writing a detective novel next.

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #40 on: February 28, 2008, 02:36:35 PM »
I have a lot of thoughts about this, but the one most pressing on my mind is

Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline headlesschocolatebunny

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #41 on: February 28, 2008, 02:41:10 PM »

I completely agree w/ you! plus there was so much death that by the time Lupin dies it is mentioned as an off handed comment! I had to re-read atleast 4 times for it to really sink in. I thought that was heartless!
Gravity, thou are a heartless bitch!

Offline Fortis

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • I'd just as soon kiss a wookie!
    • Jacob's blog on, life, the universe...everything!
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2008, 10:44:05 PM »

There is a way things have to be done in writing stories, stories differ from reality, the heroes have to dabble in illegal things. The heroes have to do everything and anything they can to stop the bad guys. If the heroes had an easy time of it without moral dilemma's, than the villain is obviously not scary/cool enough. Trust me, its good for characters to have this happen. And there were moral dilemma's to it, JK rowling just left us to deal with them, if she showed the repercussions it would slow down the pacing, because they aren't needed. Especially since this isn't the first time we have seen our heroes use them.

If you were on that cart, going into Gringotts and you knew that the only way you could find the thing you need to bring down the bad guy, was to take control of another person, would you do anything different? Would you say to the Goblin...hi, I need to break into somebody's vault, but no, I"m not stealing money, I'm stealing something from you know freakin who, but if I destroy it, it could potentially kill him..." You think he is going to let you? Even if he did, all those freaking death eaters had to do then was torture the goblin into telling them that he helped them. But by you casting that horrible spell on him, you get the thing and help destroy moldymort.

Well then...that is why she used them, sure they are horrible, they are illegal...I mean torture, loss of free will, and murder...I agree that those are prisonable offences...But sometimes the hero has to take matters into his own hand. (I'm still talking about harry potter)

I completely agree w/ you! plus there was so much death that by the time Lupin dies it is mentioned as an off handed comment! I had to re-read atleast 4 times for it to really sink in. I thought that was heartless!

Lupin's death wasn't an off hand comment, she used that part to shock people...as you obviously were. Those types of deaths create atmosphere, and pacing. If you are in a battle scene with dozens of characters you care about, the best thing the author can do is cause shock to readers by some people's sudden unexpected deaths. If JK Rowling had spent a lot of time on each characters death, the last chapter would be slow, with exposition interrupting action and emotion. Sure it can be dissatisfiying, but I fail to see how an author could have handled it better than her and still have the heart racing non stop action throughout that she was able to achieve. she handled it beautifully.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #43 on: February 29, 2008, 04:55:24 AM »
A problem I have with the books is that they become increasingly cruel. Not within the narrative per se, because it can be argued that hey the world is facing a great evil and thus tit seems darker. No, the general thrust of the books just becomes crueler and even the "good" characters become nasty pieces of work.

The death of the fox at the beginning of the fifth book really solidified my distaste for them.

And everythings so bleeding one dimensional.

Offline Fortis

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • I'd just as soon kiss a wookie!
    • Jacob's blog on, life, the universe...everything!
« Reply #44 on: February 29, 2008, 11:31:19 AM »
I dunno. I don't think she knows how to write a death; every one of her "deaths" was really, really anticlimactic.  And yeah, some smartass, glib responder will say "well that's how death is in real life--"  Well, firstly I don't agree, but it's possible to argue that way--but more importantly, it's just bad storytelling. 

All her deaths just seem like...wait, what the fuck just happened?

I dunno. She's got a good sense of creating a world, and she draws you in, but she's not a prose stylist or a master of exposition. I think Fortis gives her far too much credit.

I will give you that her deaths are kind of "holy crap" moments when they don't have to be, especially during books 1 - 6. Book 7 I think it is handled well, because deaths like that need to happen during scenes of battle. But you have to cut her a little slack, she is a novice writer who suddenly got thrown into this pit of success with bajillions of fans to make happy.

She is by far not my favorite author at all, the best way she can think up making names for things is to look in a Latin dictionary. Her books can drag from the beginning till the end, and it seems to me that she had mixed feelings between what kind of character she wanted to make Harry, so he becomes this character that is hard to relate to.

I to, can see the weaknesses of the Harry Potter books, but, I still think the seventh book was written very well, the seventh book was where all of her writing strengths are finally able to overshadow her weaknesses. You have to give her this though, she is a master at foreshadowing, even if not with prose or narrative.