Author Topic: Anime  (Read 10177 times)

Offline aneel

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
Re: Anime
« Reply #90 on: July 21, 2007, 11:21:36 PM »
Yes, back to anime.

I do like Lupin III; it sort of reminds me of The A-Team.  That said, this show was made back in the late 60s and 70s.  It seems like the anime these days is nothing but recycled concepts, from the "demon-slaying" magic show to the giant-robot show to the wacko-religious gory show to the nonsensical and juvenile "martial arts" show to the excessively expository science-fiction show to the monster-related kids show to the exploitative show.  There are dozens of different series for each of these concepts, and I think many of them are either poorly executed or take themselves too seriously.

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 32
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #91 on: July 21, 2007, 11:28:40 PM »
theres a cool anime out called the Grave of Fireflies, it kinda old, 1988, but its about two young japanese children after ww2.  Definetly not your average anime, and a goodd film in its own right....

Offline Reductio_ad_absurdum

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
    • A Singular Way
« Reply #92 on: July 21, 2007, 11:33:26 PM »
Yes, back to anime.

I do like Lupin III; it sort of reminds me of The A-Team.  That said, this show was made back in the late 60s and 70s.  It seems like the anime these days is nothing but recycled concepts, from the "demon-slaying" magic show to the giant-robot show to the wacko-religious gory show to the nonsensical and juvenile "martial arts" show to the excessively expository science-fiction show to the monster-related kids show to the exploitative show.  There are dozens of different series for each of these concepts, and I think many of them are either poorly executed or take themselves too seriously.

You must remember that Anime and manga is like our Hollywood.  For the three times worth of dreck comes the single worthy story.

Offline googergieger

• Magneto-cent Member
  • The Impact Kid
    • myspace
« Reply #93 on: July 22, 2007, 07:23:48 AM »
it turns out the world is fulled with asstards, and one of the many things that separates me from them is i'm not a total tool.

I think there are quite a few people who would disagree with that.  Can you please stop being negative and sarcastic and just post normally?  You get these threads all off topic.

Back to anime:

I just read a few later trades of Lupin III - and even if the stories can get a little bizarre, I can't get over what great expressions Monkey Punch creates.  And "Melodi no Salaryman" is also really, really funny.  I still can't find it collected, if anyone knows where - let me know!
And

hypocracy is awesome ain't it, angelpie?

almost as awesome as that guys photoshop masterpiece.

back to anime though, yeah!

like someone finally had the balls to say why they liked akira and me explaining why i didn't like it?

or how someone quoted me and said i didn't know i was talking about when i recommended an anime?

Why are you so angry?

At least that is the better option because what you have said either relates to a man who hates the world and spites it, or a man who is truly narcissistic.  Do you understand how you will destroy yourself if you continue down either road?  Bitterness and self-love will make a slave of you, and will isolate you from those who would have loved you and those who you would have loved.

This is a warning, not in regards to this forum, but on the happiness of your life my friend.  Rethink this self-destructive path.  You can trust that I mean this with good intentions or not, but this is what I hold to be truth from what you have exhibited in behavior.

well do you think you can help me? i mean its been so long since i've expressed or felt something for someone you know?
Stand by for action!

Offline the long undertow

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #94 on: July 22, 2007, 08:36:50 AM »
theres a cool anime out called the Grave of Fireflies, it kinda old, 1988, but its about two young japanese children after ww2.  Definetly not your average anime, and a goodd film in its own right....
Depressing as hell.

Offline Hebs

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #95 on: July 22, 2007, 08:57:06 AM »
Depressing as hell.

Oh god yes.  I don't usually get all misty eyed during movies, but the film made me choke up.  I got a little tin of those fruit candies, and after the movie I couldn't really eat them anymore..  They're just on my shelf, collecting dust  :-",
.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4901
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #96 on: August 03, 2007, 03:05:19 AM »
I finished Monster a few months ago, and I have to ask, fan to fan, how did you feel about the end?  No spoiler details needed, but I'm curious, because I don't know anyone else who's ever finished it.

A lot of people don't seem to like that ending but I found it very impressive.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Any other thoughts?

Offline ObscureGamer

• Magneto-cent Member
  • knows how many turkeys could fit in this forum
« Reply #97 on: August 03, 2007, 05:33:38 AM »
Depressing as hell.

Oh god yes.  I don't usually get all misty eyed during movies, but the film made me choke up.  I got a little tin of those fruit candies, and after the movie I couldn't really eat them anymore..  They're just on my shelf, collecting dust  :-

Ebert said it was the most humanizing anime he had ever seen in his entire life, and I am inclined to agree.

Offline call_me_nuveena

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Your local goddess of mediocrity.
    • Mindless Drivel
« Reply #98 on: August 03, 2007, 08:38:20 AM »

It's a Miyazaki film, so it is, by definition, not your average anime.

Made me weep like a little bitch.

Offline ObscureGamer

• Magneto-cent Member
  • knows how many turkeys could fit in this forum
« Reply #99 on: August 03, 2007, 08:44:32 AM »

Nope, not Miyazaki....it was Isao Takahata.   Miyazaki films may have sad moments, but they are generally upbeat,
optimistic films filled with fantasy, adventure, and hope.   Miyazaki never did anything this relentlessly nihilistic,
not even in his post-apocalyptic film Nausicaa of the Valley.

Offline call_me_nuveena

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Your local goddess of mediocrity.
    • Mindless Drivel
« Reply #100 on: August 03, 2007, 08:50:58 AM »

Nope, not Miyazaki....it was Isao Takahata.   Miyazaki films may have sad moments, but they are generally upbeat,
optimistic films filled with fantasy, adventure, and hope.   Miyazaki never did anything this relentlessly nihilistic,
not even in his post-apocalyptic film Nausicaa of the Valley.

You're right.  The fact that it was animated by Studio Ghibli is what messed me up.

Offline the long undertow

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #101 on: August 04, 2007, 03:51:53 PM »
I finished Monster a few months ago, and I have to ask, fan to fan, how did you feel about the end?  No spoiler details needed, but I'm curious, because I don't know anyone else who's ever finished it.

Any other thoughts?
I just didn't feel like

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4901
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #102 on: August 04, 2007, 05:37:24 PM »

Any other thoughts?
I just didn't feel like

Hmmm... I guess I can see that, but sometimes, I feel that it's not the size of the crime, but the nature.  And it's been a while since I've seen it, but just who was he planning to let live?  I mean, it's been a year since I've seen it.

Oh, and though it's not over, I highly recommend the manga 20th Century Boys.  Really cool.