Author Topic: Commercials We HATE  (Read 126189 times)

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
Re: Commercials We HATE
« Reply #855 on: January 25, 2010, 05:11:15 AM »
As a late-night TV viewer, I feel I've had just about enough of this one:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WYS5NtRXlZQ&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/WYS5NtRXlZQ&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1&amp;</a>

I've seen that and I could not get to the remote fast enough

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #856 on: January 26, 2010, 06:29:03 PM »
Two I hate have entered my life recently:

- 1-800-busy-dog ... what is it? Have a guess? Dog toy? No.. Dog sitting service? No.. A service to clean a flooded basement and seal it? Yup. Annoying jingle with product that has nothing to do with dogs.

- A college in Owensboro Ky advertises constantly. Every day on the same station at the same times. They make it look like they are doing a live telethon call bank with a lady hosting. Has a call count in the corner. Call now and learn about classes, etc. It isn't live at all. It is the same exact three spots spread out over an hour of Judge Judy. Thank god for DVR so I can fast forward the crap.

another that I think is stupid is one I hear on the radio. It is for a "seed bank". Basically they are selling non-hybrid seeds claiming that they will be worth more than their weight in gold in an economic meltdown. You get enough for a full acre of crops. Ok first off non-hybrid seeds do not grow as well as the hybrid ones do. Why? Because the others have been cross bred to give high yields and more bang for your buck. I highly doubt there is going to be a huge economic meltdown like they are claiming. If you do buy these and plant them, what is to stop neighbors and strangers from sneaking onto your property and stealing your planted food?

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 0
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #857 on: January 27, 2010, 07:49:58 AM »
Those recent Levi's commercials, featuring young adults doing various things, and a narration of some sort of poem or crap, none of which makes the slightest bit of sense. The phrase "We are the Pioneers" is uttered. The viewer is left thinking "WTF?"

I expect that will be a mainstay in Purgatory.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #858 on: January 27, 2010, 08:09:56 AM »
- A college in Owensboro Ky advertises constantly. Every day on the same station at the same times. They make it look like they are doing a live telethon call bank with a lady hosting. Has a call count in the corner. Call now and learn about classes, etc. It isn't live at all. It is the same exact three spots spread out over an hour of Judge Judy. Thank god for DVR so I can fast forward the crap.

Um, you DVR Judge Judy?

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #859 on: January 27, 2010, 01:07:03 PM »

Um, you DVR Judge Judy?

I'm occasionally out of the house when it is on. Also a girl who was in a class last year was supposedly on and I hope to see that one. as soon as i watch the episode I delete it..

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
« Reply #860 on: January 27, 2010, 02:00:26 PM »

Um, you DVR Judge Judy?

I'm occasionally out of the house when it is on. Also a girl who was in a class last year was supposedly on and I hope to see that one. as soon as i watch the episode I delete it..

Have you considered that maybe she lied, hoping you'd watch every day as an elaborate form of torture?

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #861 on: January 27, 2010, 02:13:44 PM »

Um, you DVR Judge Judy?

Have you considered that maybe she lied, hoping you'd watch every day as an elaborate form of torture?

Shut up.  I have a bet going.  You're gonna cost me 100 bucks.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
« Reply #862 on: January 27, 2010, 02:16:51 PM »

Um, you DVR Judge Judy?

Shut up.  I have a bet going.  You're gonna cost me 100 bucks.

I had an aquaintance in college who kept calling this number a girl gave him multiple times a day for a good solid  week, even though he got a fax machine Every. Damn. Time. Eventually... "I think that chick gave me a fake number."

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #863 on: January 27, 2010, 03:40:53 PM »
I believe her. She was on Tyra Banks once. I've seen the video.. It was people with unusual fears.. her's? Garden Gnomes.. Her older sister made her watch Leprechaun when she was little and it creeped her out.

go to about 4:44 mark that is her segment..

Offline TTYT

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #864 on: January 27, 2010, 04:13:34 PM »
Maybe it's just because I'm on Verizon, but I hate how all of AT&T's Luke Wilson ads "rebutting" Verizon's  claims - and AT&T users' complaints - actually don't say anything that could even be construed as a response to said claims & complaints. It's like watching John McCain in a political debate. Look, AT&T, my friends and I could give two shits about being able to talk on the phone and surf the web at the same time - LET ME TALK TO THEM WITHOUT THEIR PHONES CUTTING OUT ON ME ALL THE TIME! (And besides, unless you're Richard Reed or only use speakerphone so you can let everyone around you know what you and your friends are talking about, how the hell is being able to talk & surf the web simultaneously helpful?)

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #865 on: January 27, 2010, 04:25:32 PM »
Amen TTYT. I'm on verizon and get great service. AT&T should just have their ads be a picture of the iPhone and a chorus of "Jooooooin us! Jooooooin us! Jooooin uuuuuussss" because that is all they really got going for them.

Offline ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1269
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #866 on: January 27, 2010, 05:15:23 PM »
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #867 on: January 27, 2010, 05:55:19 PM »
Those recent Levi's commercials, featuring young adults doing various things, and a narration of some sort of poem or crap, none of which makes the slightest bit of sense. The phrase "We are the Pioneers" is uttered. The viewer is left thinking "WTF?"

The poem would be Walt Whitman's Pioneers! O Pioneers! and I agree, they're utterly rubbish (and I wear Levis mostly when it comes to jeans). While the boys in the ads might be of interest to Uncle Walt, none of the people featured in the ads look like they could pioneer anything except a new lip gloss.

Offline TTYT

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #868 on: January 27, 2010, 09:14:04 PM »

The poem would be Walt Whitman's Pioneers! O Pioneers! and I agree, they're utterly rubbish (and I wear Levis mostly when it comes to jeans). While the boys in the ads might be of interest to Uncle Walt, none of the people featured in the ads look like they could pioneer anything except a new lip gloss.

I actually kinda like those ads - but only because they expose a new generation to Walt Whitman - and as someone who studied Multimedia in college, the video work (editing, sound, cinematography, etc.) is excellent. The attempt to connect the imagery and poem to Levi's is stupid, but the people who actually made the ad should feel proud that they have something to show off in their demo reels.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #869 on: January 27, 2010, 09:37:11 PM »

I'm glad I am not the only one who is tempted to throw a brick at my $400 tv every time one of those adds comes on.  Putting on a pair of brand name jeans does not make you a rebel!