login

Author Topic: Commercials We HATE  (Read 125684 times)

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
Re: Commercials We HATE
« Reply #780 on: June 05, 2009, 03:32:24 AM »
May I just ask who the hell Charmin has in their test groups that keep giving those damn bears the okay? A bear taking a dump in the woods is adorable, apparently .

There's one where they were talking about how lesser toilet paper brands leave pieces of TP behind after you wipe. Of course this concept was given the visual aid of a bear brushing flakes of TP off his big hairy ass. Ew?

Everyone knows bears wipe with rabbits. Has nobody heard that joke?

That was one of my favorites when I was a kid.   The first time my dad told me, I just cracked up.

Offline Drusilla

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #781 on: June 05, 2009, 09:25:33 AM »
Billy Mayze (sp?)  frightens me... no-one should be that excited over cleaning products...

Thos cash4gold commericals... honestly I just don't trust those bastards.

Axe commericals, but specifically the Axe Chocolate commerical... not only is it sexist it is disturbing.

quid dicendum sit libere dicam

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5643
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #782 on: June 05, 2009, 09:32:44 AM »
I hate the Axe commercials, and most all cologn commercials* because they always use some guy who looks like he could smell like raw sewage and still get women.

*Except for Bruce Campbell's Od Spice commercials, because, well, they're just awesome!

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 8
  • Snarl!
« Reply #783 on: June 05, 2009, 10:14:20 AM »
Yeah, Axe commercials make me want to somehow escape my demographic like it's a burning building.

Offline Courtney

• Liked: 5
  • How Twilight could have been better.
    • Hobo Trashcan - Outside of the In-Crowd
« Reply #784 on: June 05, 2009, 12:26:50 PM »
I hate the Axe commercials, and most all cologn commercials* because they always use some guy who looks like he could smell like raw sewage and still get women.

*Except for Bruce Campbell's Od Spice commercials, because, well, they're just awesome!

Old Spice has good ones.  The NPH one is also awesome.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #785 on: June 05, 2009, 01:41:52 PM »

I HAVE to see that. Is it on Youtube?

jasimon1

« Reply #786 on: June 05, 2009, 02:21:22 PM »

May I just ask who the hell Charmin has in their test groups that keep giving those damn bears the okay? A bear taking a dump in the woods is adorable, apparently .

Actually, Charmin very rarely tests the Bears any more. I work in market research and my client is Charmin and Bounty. They are pretty set on the carrier of the message. It's really just the message that is constantly changing. Most likely the only way Charmin is going to move away from the bears is if Cottonelle moves away from the puppy and vice versa.

Offline Trumpysgirl

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #787 on: June 05, 2009, 07:19:07 PM »

Actually, Charmin very rarely tests the Bears any more. I work in market research and my client is Charmin and Bounty. They are pretty set on the carrier of the message. It's really just the message that is constantly changing. Most likely the only way Charmin is going to move away from the bears is if Cottonelle moves away from the puppy and vice versa.

Sicgirl I beg you, on behalf of the human race, lock the Charmin marketing executives in a room and beat some sense into them. Or just beat them, I'm not picky.

The Cottonelle puppy works because it's cute, not disgusting and ridiculous like the bears.
Dammit, Maverick! Why don't you play by the rules?!

"Joel, what's a Harringway?"
"About a pound."

Offline Courtney

• Liked: 5
  • How Twilight could have been better.
    • Hobo Trashcan - Outside of the In-Crowd
« Reply #788 on: June 05, 2009, 07:54:54 PM »

I HAVE to see that. Is it on Youtube?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/TusJ8HSLaUs&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/TusJ8HSLaUs&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #789 on: June 05, 2009, 08:28:59 PM »
Thanks, that was funny.

Offline Trumpysgirl

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #790 on: June 05, 2009, 09:21:01 PM »
I love Neil Patrick Harris, it made it even harder when he was officially taken off of the market for us chicks.
Dammit, Maverick! Why don't you play by the rules?!

"Joel, what's a Harringway?"
"About a pound."

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #791 on: June 06, 2009, 05:49:54 AM »

Sicgirl I beg you, on behalf of the human race, lock the Charmin marketing executives in a room and beat some sense into them. Or just beat them, I'm not picky.

The Cottonelle puppy works because it's cute, not disgusting and ridiculous like the bears.

Not sure if Sicgirl has the same experience of how people receive research as me (though I suspect she might) but clients often look to research to confirm what they have already decided upon rather than listening to advice against that particular element.

If they're dead set on the bears, it would take a massive amount of research to change that.

Offline daltysmilth

• Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #792 on: June 06, 2009, 06:41:31 AM »
So we all have to suffer because some executive at Charmin thinks the f---ing bears are "cute"?
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #793 on: June 06, 2009, 07:36:44 AM »
Pretty much, yes. I mean they might change their mind down the road but like Sicgirl said, they're interested in what those "cute" bears can say rather than if those bears are indeed "cute".

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 199
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #794 on: June 06, 2009, 08:45:24 AM »
The Charmin bears, by themselves, are one thing...what made me cringe at them forever was the one second shot in one commercial.  In that shot, there's a close-up of one of the bear's faces, and from its facial expression, it's really enjoying what it's doing with that Charmin.  I'm shocked it didn't go around town afterwards showing it to everybody.

Nothing says charm quite like a cartoon bear shoving toilet paper up its ass with a big ol' grin on its face.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.