login

Author Topic: Commercials We HATE  (Read 130200 times)

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
Re: Commercials We HATE
« Reply #720 on: May 29, 2009, 03:23:27 PM »
Who the hell is this one aimed at?  It plays before every movie at our local theater and its just stupid.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/kg-p5Xsct4Y&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/kg-p5Xsct4Y&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #721 on: May 29, 2009, 04:23:02 PM »
Who the hell is this one aimed at?  It plays before every movie at our local theater and its just stupid.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/kg-p5Xsct4Y&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/kg-p5Xsct4Y&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

It's sort of taking the Mr. Sparkle approach to product advocacy.

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #722 on: May 29, 2009, 05:29:52 PM »
Recently I've heard on the radio yet another iteration of the commercial where some idiot calls the company's customer service line wanting to know what the "catch" is on the company's most recent deal.  For those that don't know what I'm talking about, here's the script that they use for every iteration of the commercial, a script that does not change in any iteration except for the name of the product or service being offered.

OPERATOR:  Hello, (Name of product or service) help line, how can I help you?
CUSTOMER:  Yeah, what's the catch?
OPERATOR:  Catch?
CUSTOMER:  Yeah, you guys have that (general details of deal or sale going on) deal going on, so I want to know what's the catch?
OPERATOR:  There's no catch, sir (or ma'am), (operator then re-states what the customer just said, only going into slightly more detail).  Oh, but there's one more thing...
CUSTOMER:  The catch, right?
OPERATOR:  No, actually (operator then goes on to talk about another aspect of the deal or sale that the customer apparently did not know about.)
CUSTOMER:  Wow, that is a great deal!
OPERATOR:  Yep, and there's no catch.

Here's my version of the commercial.

OPERATOR:  Ajax Insurance Company Help Line, how can I help you?
CUSTOMER:  Yeah, I wanted to ask about the catch.
OPERATOR:  The catch, sir?
CUSTOMER:  Look, you asshole, your company offers the lowest insurance rates in town, and I know you can't offer rates that low unless you're going to try to find some way to f*ck me over.  So if you don't stop DICKING me around and tell me what the hell the goddamn catch is, I will find you and I will set your f*cking house on fire!!!
OPERATOR:  OH GOD!!! PLEASE, SIR, THERE'S NO CATCH!!! I SWEAR TO GOD!!!  PLEASE!!!
CUSTOMER:  DON'T YOU LIE TO ME!!! DON'T YOU DARE F*CKING LIE TO ME, YOU STUPID BITCH!!!
OPERATOR:  SIR, PLEASE, ON THE LIVES OF MY CHILDREN, I SWEAR I'M NOT LYING!!! THERE IS NO CATCH!!!  NOT A ONE!!!  PLEASE!!!
CUSTOMER:  NO CATCH?!!!
OPERATOR:  No sir!
CUSTOMER:  NO F*CKING CATCH?
OPERATOR:  Absolutely no catches, sir!  I would tell you if there were, I swear!
CUSTOMER:  So your prices really are that low?
OPERATOR:  Yes sir.
CUSTOMER:  Wow.  That is a great deal.
OPERATOR:  Yes sir, we like to think so.
CUSTOMER:  You'd have to be some f*cking short bus riding retard not to want to sign up for this right away.
CUSTOMER:  F*ckin' A Right!
OPERATOR:  F*ckin' A, sir!

I think that would be a more intersting variation on the theme, don't you?
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5896
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #723 on: May 29, 2009, 09:19:08 PM »
Recently I've heard on the radio yet another iteration of the commercial where some idiot calls the company's customer service line wanting to know what the "catch" is on the company's most recent deal.  For those that don't know what I'm talking about, here's the script that they use for every iteration of the commercial, a script that does not change in any iteration except for the name of the product or service being offered.

OPERATOR:  Hello, (Name of product or service) help line, how can I help you?
CUSTOMER:  Yeah, what's the catch?
OPERATOR:  Catch?
CUSTOMER:  Yeah, you guys have that (general details of deal or sale going on) deal going on, so I want to know what's the catch?
OPERATOR:  There's no catch, sir (or ma'am), (operator then re-states what the customer just said, only going into slightly more detail).  Oh, but there's one more thing...
CUSTOMER:  The catch, right?
OPERATOR:  No, actually (operator then goes on to talk about another aspect of the deal or sale that the customer apparently did not know about.)
CUSTOMER:  Wow, that is a great deal!
OPERATOR:  Yep, and there's no catch.

Here's my version of the commercial.

OPERATOR:  Ajax Insurance Company Help Line, how can I help you?
CUSTOMER:  Yeah, I wanted to ask about the catch.
OPERATOR:  The catch, sir?
CUSTOMER:  Look, you asshole, your company offers the lowest insurance rates in town, and I know you can't offer rates that low unless you're going to try to find some way to f*ck me over.  So if you don't stop DICKING me around and tell me what the hell the goddamn catch is, I will find you and I will set your f*cking house on fire!!!
OPERATOR:  OH GOD!!! PLEASE, SIR, THERE'S NO CATCH!!! I SWEAR TO GOD!!!  PLEASE!!!
CUSTOMER:  DON'T YOU LIE TO ME!!! DON'T YOU DARE F*CKING LIE TO ME, YOU STUPID BITCH!!!
OPERATOR:  SIR, PLEASE, ON THE LIVES OF MY CHILDREN, I SWEAR I'M NOT LYING!!! THERE IS NO CATCH!!!  NOT A ONE!!!  PLEASE!!!
CUSTOMER:  NO CATCH?!!!
OPERATOR:  No sir!
CUSTOMER:  NO F*CKING CATCH?
OPERATOR:  Absolutely no catches, sir!  I would tell you if there were, I swear!
CUSTOMER:  So your prices really are that low?
CUSTOMER:  Wow.  That is a great deal.
OPERATOR:  Yes sir, we like to think so.
CUSTOMER:  You'd have to be some f*cking short bus riding retard not to want to sign up for this right away.
CUSTOMER:  F*ckin' A Right!
OPERATOR:  F*ckin' A, sir!

I think that would be a more intersting variation on the theme, don't you?
Now if only we could get Tarentino to start making commercials instead of movies....

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #724 on: May 30, 2009, 10:42:52 AM »
How about the one with they guy going around taking pennies, so, what's the image/message they are going for there?  Come to Taco Bell, our customers are giant douches...

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #725 on: May 30, 2009, 10:46:03 AM »
Plus wouldn't you need slightly more than the 89 pennies he collects, not been in a Taco Bell for a while (not since the opened a Del Taco near me) but I seem to recall them charging tax.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #726 on: May 30, 2009, 05:41:26 PM »
Plus wouldn't you need slightly more than the 89 pennies he collects, not been in a Taco Bell for a while (not since the opened a Del Taco near me) but I seem to recall them charging tax.

I guess they shot the commercial in Delaware, or one of the other states that doesn't have a sales tax.

I've noticed they have a new version where they ony show the guy with all the cents on the counter, don't show him going around taking them.

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Liked: 8
  • Snarl!
« Reply #727 on: May 31, 2009, 02:31:44 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/FyuaCLM_syA&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/FyuaCLM_syA&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

I understand the idea behind this kind of commercial, but what I don't get is why they're applying the idiot characterization to their own costumer base.

Offline daltysmilth

• Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #728 on: May 31, 2009, 07:44:25 AM »
I don't get the trend in commercials that grossing people out will get them to buy your product.  Like that axe commercial about the guy whose sweat comes out of his armpits like water out of a fire hose until he starts using axe.  If the commercial grosses and weirds me out, I'm less likely to buy that product.  So I don't get it.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Doctor Who?

« Reply #729 on: June 02, 2009, 10:33:32 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tq4nrmnqY9o&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Tq4nrmnqY9o&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

Wow that add made me want to run a line of shopping carts into the next prius I see at work.

I hate SMUG!

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 0
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #730 on: June 02, 2009, 10:41:22 AM »
There's a reason they call it the Toyota Pious.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #731 on: June 02, 2009, 02:20:53 PM »
Too bad the bad the fuel savings don't overcome the extra sticker-price.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #732 on: June 02, 2009, 02:26:31 PM »
True but then it's a rare (or pharmaceutical focused) advert that points out the demerits of the product.

Nothing can be done about the looks of the Prius it seems,

Doctor Who?

« Reply #733 on: June 02, 2009, 02:30:46 PM »
No I hate the add because it seems to be says "if everyone bought our product the world would be perfect and if you don't buy it you are an evil person who is killing the planet".

You do know that hybrids are not going to stop global warming don't you?

We all need to stop using oil period.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #734 on: June 02, 2009, 02:34:53 PM »
I've said this before and I'll say it again, they just need to make these
a bit more appealing and we'll all be able to cut out petrol, and have the trimmest thighs you ever did see. :)