login

Author Topic: Commercials We HATE  (Read 125931 times)

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
Re: Commercials We HATE
« Reply #705 on: March 01, 2009, 06:14:56 AM »
Another one I hate is KFC with the woman talking about how fresh the chicken is and she knows because she is the "cook" at one and that there is one in every KFC. The way she says this makes it sound like she is head chef at a 5 star bistro. YOU WORK IN FAST FOOD LADY!! I worked at Taco Bell one summer. I made food on the line. Did that make a cook? NO! I was a fast food worker and nothing more. IF you can learn to do a job in about 10 minutes on making food, then you are not a cook. You are Food Prep Worker, nothing more.

That's not what bugs me about that commercial...what bugs me is that, at the bottom of the screen, it clearly says "Actor Portrayal". And suddenly, NOTHING makes any sense!

WHY did they need to hire an actress to read some facts and say she's a cook? Were there no actual cooks at any KFCs who looked friendly enough? (Actually, I suppose that is a possibility.)

Okay. Fine. So, they figure we'd rather look at a friendly-but-nondescript actress than an actual cook. So why bother having her claim to be a cook? Do they really think we'll trust her more on this issue if she claims to be a cook? Because that trust is kinda undermined by those words at the bottom of the screen. If she's willing to lie about being a cook, how do we know she's telling the truth about the damn chicken? Frankly, I'd be more inclined to believe her claims about the chicken's freshness if she just admitted "How do I know? Because I'm reading it off a damn cue card!" At least then we can believe she's honest.

Go to hell, KFC, for causing me untold sleepless nights of anguish with your stupid, nonsensical commercial. To hell, I say!

:clap:

Offline Trumpysgirl

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #706 on: March 04, 2009, 01:49:13 PM »
Man, I could go for some popcorn chicken right about now....
Dammit, Maverick! Why don't you play by the rules?!

"Joel, what's a Harringway?"
"About a pound."

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #707 on: March 04, 2009, 02:26:48 PM »
Man, I could go for some popcorn chicken right about now....

I'd love some popplers right now.

Those things are good.  I wonder what they're made of.

Offline Trumpysgirl

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #708 on: March 04, 2009, 02:28:43 PM »
Those things are good.  I wonder what they're made of.

I try not to remind myself of that question when I eat calamari.
Dammit, Maverick! Why don't you play by the rules?!

"Joel, what's a Harringway?"
"About a pound."

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #709 on: March 04, 2009, 02:48:33 PM »
That KFC commercisal just creeps me out. Anyone that proud of what they do at KFC is almost assuredly feeding you fried people poppers.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5648
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #710 on: March 04, 2009, 07:08:26 PM »
fried people poppers.
Mmmm. Tastes like chicken.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #711 on: March 04, 2009, 07:43:02 PM »
I re-watched the Gershwin Prize concert tribute to Paul Simon last night; I can safely say that the most annoying commercials in the world are still not worse than PBS pledge drives.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #712 on: March 05, 2009, 06:26:57 AM »
Another two I hate are the new Old Navy with the mannaquins. God those are stupid. I like my manaquins to have the vapid vacent stare with the pouty look. Not some horrid mutant smile.

Another is for a sales training course for Sandler Training. The guy Sal Aliadda or something gives a sales tip. The problem is he speaks in a very dull monotone voice. You think if you are trying to sell classes on salesmanship, you might want to pick someone who is exciting and sounds interested in what he is selling.

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #713 on: March 05, 2009, 09:36:54 PM »
Sandler Training?  Is that where they teach you how to act like Adam Sandler?
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #714 on: March 05, 2009, 09:45:56 PM »
I don't necessarily hate this one but it's definately strange.  It's a local radio commercial I heard this afternoon.  The first sentence of the commercial started out like this.  "Since the March Madness tournament is right around the corner, what's a better time to get your vasectomy?"   What?  They apparently only have 30 spots left that are scheduled to get you home in time for the games.  So sign up now gang.  I can think of hundreds of better ways to skip out on work to watch the tourney if that's your deal.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #715 on: March 06, 2009, 06:51:33 AM »
There was a local vasectomy place that used to put up "humorous" billboards at the side of the interstate advertising their services. One said: "Tour Buses Welcome; Drivers FREE."
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #716 on: March 06, 2009, 07:16:58 AM »
I don't necessarily hate this one but it's definately strange.  It's a local radio commercial I heard this afternoon.  The first sentence of the commercial started out like this.  "Since the March Madness tournament is right around the corner, what's a better time to get your vasectomy?"   What?  They apparently only have 30 spots left that are scheduled to get you home in time for the games.  So sign up now gang.  I can think of hundreds of better ways to skip out on work to watch the tourney if that's your deal.

Maybe the idea is that you love March Madness so much that you randomly impregnate women?

No wonder women are suspicious of men.....

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #717 on: March 06, 2009, 07:20:21 AM »
Or maybe it's "Hey I'm mad me, why don't you wave that scalpel right under my jublies and then do a bit of jiggery pokery with them!":

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 8
  • Snarl!
« Reply #718 on: May 29, 2009, 02:11:47 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tq4nrmnqY9o&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Tq4nrmnqY9o&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #719 on: May 29, 2009, 02:47:45 PM »
There's a business here in the southeastern Pennsylvania area called Carsense.  They sell used cars.  They have two lots in Pennsylvania and one in New Jersey.  They advertise their high quality used cars at good prices.

The newest ad is about the economy, and how people have to cut back to save money.  It shows a kid with a bad haircut with the caption "cutting your own kids' hair".  It shows a family in beach gear crammed into a wading pool with the caption "vacations closer to home".  It shows one or two other things I can't remember.  Then it says "We all have to make cutbacks.  It's nice that there's one place you don't.  Carsense."

I always get irritated and think that, if your money is tight, especially so tight that you have to save 15 bucks by cutting your kids' hair yourself, the last thing you should be doing is buying a car.