Author Topic: Commercials We HATE  (Read 125786 times)

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
Re: Commercials We HATE
« Reply #585 on: October 31, 2008, 07:44:39 AM »
Not necessarily a commercial I hate but the most random radio add ever.

It started out as an informational announcement about Trick or Treating safety and then went "Parent's before releasing your monsters on the neighborhood why not stop by (whatever resturant it was)."  Then and this is almost exactly what it said.  "Speaking of Spooky, don't let the econic analysts on Wall street scare you, come down to (such and such Credit union) where you can still get that home morgage at last years rates." 

Talk about confusing.

Haven't had anything quite like that but have had two that kinda irritated me..

First is for a haunted house. Back in Sept. when they first started running the radio ads it talked about it featuring "The Joker!". Well I guess they ran into legal trouble of using that name so they now have the same ad but replace "The Joker!" with "The Stalker!". They don't even try to hide it is a rip off joker. They talk about the smile carved into his face and bad make up. Ugh.

Another is using the political season as its theme. It is for a place that does printing for sports uniforms and such. They have panel discussion show called The O-Rileme (Rile me) Factor. They business is liberal with its designs and conservative with its prices, etc. And it basically nothing but bickering between both political factions. The one you constantly hear is one woman saying "Are ya nuts? You conservatives just want to gaff..'" Then the host says he is going to give the president of the company "who is completely unbiased" the last word. "Well I am a little biased" she says. As if there wasn't enough reason to hate election time.

Also I start muting my radio at EVERY political ad.

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 0
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #586 on: October 31, 2008, 07:45:17 AM »
I hate it when fast food joints compare their offerings to anything in a real restaurant. Their food is so processed and engineered, it doesn't even resemble real food...

Doctor Who?

« Reply #587 on: October 31, 2008, 08:31:42 AM »
I've come to the realization that I prefer that to "real food."  I hate courses made up of "simple" items.  Here's a chicken breast--why season it? It's DELICIOUS.  Here are some boiled green beans. DELICIOUS.  Here is a boiled potato. DELICIOUS.

What a simple, delicious meal!

You know what? Fuck you. PUt them in a pot pie or casserole or something and season the shit out of it and i'll eat it.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:\

Well said.

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 8
  • Snarl!
« Reply #588 on: October 31, 2008, 11:43:46 AM »
There are these new Glade commercials with this horse-faced freak of a housewife lighting a scented candle and trying to pass it off to her clutch of cackling friends as some kind of French... thing. I think I screamed the first time I saw them.

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #589 on: October 31, 2008, 02:29:25 PM »
And the banshee laughter of the friends makes me cringe.

Also places like Wendy's claiming to NOT be fast food. Um yes you are fast food.

One that I kinda hate right now is the KFC $10 challenge. Can you buy all the ingredients to make fried chicken for less than $10. Well you kind of can. The flour & stuff you use more of it later so technically while you are paying $XX.XX for it initially you are not going to use the entire bag. Same with the oil and spices. with measuring and a lot of math and shopping in bulk you will probably be less than $10 and can make more later with the bulk items.

Offline daltysmilth

• Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #590 on: November 08, 2008, 11:09:01 PM »
There's a radio commercial where this guy says "You know how when you go to a store and you want the best stuff, you ask what they have in the back?"

As a retail employee, I can tell you that the stuff in "the back" is of the same quality as the stuff out on the sales floor.  And if someone asks what we have in the back, it's not because they think it's better than what we have out on the sales floor.  It's usually because we don't seem to have any more of the item they're looking for on the sales floor, so they want us to check the stockroom to see if we have any back there.  Which we usually don't.  And in our store, "the back" is also where we put damaged and defective items.  So, in fact, some of our worst items are in the back.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #591 on: November 09, 2008, 05:23:59 AM »
Yeah when I hear that ad I think "why yes of course I do, because this s 1947 and rationing is still going on" ::)

I radio commercial I dispise is actually a script that is constantly reused for various products and services, I've hear the same script used for steel buildings, language tapes and diet pills. I expect to keep hearing it. It goes like this:

Telephone Operator: Hello welcome to company, where you can description of product or service howe can I help you?
Idiotic Everyman/woman Caller: Yeah, what's the catch?
TO: Excuse me?
IEC: The catch, repeats the claims about product or service, so what's the catch?
TO: Oh there's no catch, slightly more detail but mostly another rehash of claim, oh but there is one thing...
IEC: Ah the catch!
TO: Claim of an additional benefit
IEC: Exclamation of wonderment at this last claim.

So why do I hate it so much, aside for the fact that it's overused? it's the last part; nobody prefaces a claim about a benefit with "oh but there is one thing" that is how you preface a detriment. I mean the ad company was going to shop this around to as many clients as possible it seems, they couldn't take the time to actually write the thing more effectively?
« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 05:27:37 AM by TripeHoundRedux »

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Liked: 8
  • Snarl!
« Reply #592 on: December 02, 2008, 08:20:57 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/TubjfUFhecg&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/TubjfUFhecg&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>

Pretentious c-c-c-c-combo breaker!

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3785
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #593 on: December 02, 2008, 08:22:26 PM »
Yeah, I'm ready to buy it, Just to Recycle It! :deadhorse:

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3114
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #594 on: December 02, 2008, 11:57:21 PM »
Well you'll need to recycle it next Christmas when they release the NEW New Macbook. :^)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3785
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #595 on: December 03, 2008, 05:00:23 AM »
Well you'll need to recycle it next Christmas when they release the NEW New Macbook. :^)
oohhh yeaaahh... :o

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #596 on: December 03, 2008, 05:07:03 AM »
I'm sick of the Anti-smoking one where they squeeze the gunk out of the artery of a smoker.. disgusting.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #597 on: December 03, 2008, 09:32:51 AM »
But it sounds like it looks cool! Do you have a link? :)

Doctor Who?

« Reply #598 on: December 03, 2008, 09:36:03 AM »
I'm sick of all the anit-piracy adds at the start of dvds.

The funny thing is the only way to skip them is if you make a pirated copy,so i do that to every dvd that has one of those stupid adds.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #599 on: December 03, 2008, 09:39:41 AM »
Yeah, they're getting to much aren't they

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/-yNugFfLyxA&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/-yNugFfLyxA&amp;hl=en&amp;fs=1</a>