Author Topic: Commercials We HATE  (Read 127250 times)

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 0
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
Re: Commercials We HATE
« Reply #480 on: July 22, 2008, 10:51:43 AM »
I work at the home office of JCPenney in Plano, Texas.

I wondered myself just where they were going with the new spot. I thought it was funny that every kid in the spot probably had no idea what they were emulating, because they were not even born when The Breakfast Club was released...

But yeah, I also hate the fact that they're selling a Nirvana t-shirt to young girls, even though Nirvana sang songs like "Rape Me" and "I hate myself and I want to die"...

Not good marketing, in my book, but they are trying to cater to the young hip crowd.

JCPenney's not your mother's department store anymore.

acoletterose

« Reply #481 on: July 25, 2008, 08:46:45 AM »

But yeah, I also hate the fact that they're selling a Nirvana t-shirt to young girls, even though Nirvana sang songs like "Rape Me" and "I hate myself and I want to die"...

See now... I actually thought that was hilarious. But I am rather twisted soooo...  :-\

I hate the McDonald's commercials they have out now thanking whoever invented the new sandwich. The main thing that annoys me about it is that the people in the commercial are grovelling at the feet of whoever created this new masterful sandwich when all it is is chicken on a roll with lettuce. It's not like it's a masterpiece with 20 ingredients that create some heavenly taste. They basically glorify their uncreative and less than tasty sandwich. It's nothing new with McDonald's, but this particular sandwich hype seems to be even more obnoxious than usual.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 08:49:12 AM by acoletterose »

Offline Tron

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #482 on: July 27, 2008, 12:53:45 AM »
God I am sooo sick of those "freecreditreport.com" commercials, I agree with the guy who said the smirking headbob at the end makes his blood boil, and they're even getting worse now with the idea that you shouldn't get married without  the approval of the corporate overlords at freecreditreport.com or you won't be able to get a good house.

I mean, HTF does HER bad credit keep HIM from being able to buy a house? And if it does, then why don't they seperate, he gets the new house and after getting it they remarry?

The commercial basically says that good credit is more important than, say, love for deciding who to marry, and that just boils me.  Now corporate approval is more important that marrying someone you love, for frak's sake!

Also I'm so sick of "the singing loser" in general it makes me want to barf. This guy seems to blame everyone else for his problems, and then sings about what a loser he is and how it's the fault of an identity thief.

Hey, singing loser! I got a song for YOU! Here's how it goes:

We're all sick of hearing, so sick of hearing 'bout what a loser you are.
We're tired of hearing you can't get a decent job or a good ca-ar.
Why don't you shut your damn mouth, just shut your damn mouth,
get a shotgun, stick it under your chin and blow your loser head off?
Smith and wesson 12 guage, baby!"     (Last line sung to the tune of "freecreditreport.com baby" complete with smirk and headbob.)

Offline Tron

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #483 on: July 27, 2008, 12:56:48 AM »
I hate the new Burger King commercials.  The ones for that steakhouse burger?  God, those are irritating.  Especially the fact that they keep using the word "arrogant" over and over in them.

Seriously.

I'd like to see one where a guy's eating a steakhouse burger and some dick asks him what he did to deserve it, and the guy says "Who the hell are you that I have to justify what I'm eating to, asshole?!"

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #484 on: July 27, 2008, 04:14:49 AM »
God I am sooo sick of those "freecreditreport.com" commercials, I agree with the guy who said the smirking headbob at the end makes his blood boil, and they're even getting worse now with the idea that you shouldn't get married without  the approval of the corporate overlords at freecreditreport.com or you won't be able to get a good house.

I mean, HTF does HER bad credit keep HIM from being able to buy a house? And if it does, then why don't they seperate, he gets the new house and after getting it they remarry?

The commercial basically says that good credit is more important than, say, love for deciding who to marry, and that just boils me.  Now corporate approval is more important that marrying someone you love, for frak's sake!

Also I'm so sick of "the singing loser" in general it makes me want to barf. This guy seems to blame everyone else for his problems, and then sings about what a loser he is and how it's the fault of an identity thief.

Hey, singing loser! I got a song for YOU! Here's how it goes:

We're all sick of hearing, so sick of hearing 'bout what a loser you are.
We're tired of hearing you can't get a decent job or a good ca-ar.
Why don't you shut your damn mouth, just shut your damn mouth,
get a shotgun, stick it under your chin and blow your loser head off?
Smith and wesson 12 guage, baby!"     (Last line sung to the tune of "freecreditreport.com baby" complete with smirk and headbob.)

The one that really get's me of those is he goes to buy a new car and leaves with a beat up subcompact and he is whining about it. Uh why did you buy it in the first place?

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #485 on: August 02, 2008, 09:58:18 AM »
Can't find a video, but the JC Penney Breakfast Club ad with the New Found Glory cover of "Don't You Forget About Me" makes me stabby.  The girl in the pink Nirvana shirt just seals it.

I think it's cute. Maybe the fact that I only see it in movie theatres helps.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Tron

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #486 on: August 02, 2008, 10:23:52 PM »
Some other commercials I hate are the ones where they attack the "individualized credit cards" with personalized pictures on them.

The first one has a guy trying to board a plane with a credit card with kittens on it, only to be seized and whisked away by security, apparelty to be given an anal probe by some big black guy. (BTW, isn't that a little racist, playing on white fears?) They don't show the guy missing his flight, being harassed and suing the airline and the airport later when he finds it was all over his credit card's picture.

The other one has this american with, I admit, a silly looking credit card and these incredibly arrogant germans sneering at it, mocking him in german with their big toothed smiles, then walking off, mocking him in german but with pleasant sounding voices. meanwhile the guy is portrayed as so dumb he doesn't even get what happened, and a "smart" woman pays for the dinner with her "looks like everyone else's" card.

I really got steamed at that commercial. I even yelled at the TV the second time I saw it with my own riff:"Hey, klaus, frau blucha! You's prefer a holographic swastika on it maybe?!" (Ok, low blow but the arrogance of those germans with their huge toothed demeaning smiles just got to me...)

Individuality is being wiped out in american society in favor of the corporate culture of conformity and compliance. I favor anything that allows a trace of individuality to exist. I support these cards and might get one if my company makes them available. If someone doesn't like it, they can bite me.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #487 on: August 02, 2008, 10:43:16 PM »

Also he sings the song in front of his new wife while she is washing his clothes?!

What an Asshole!!

I will tell you something my mom and Dad had to live in my grandparents house the first years they were married and they are now going on 25 years of being married and they are still in love and I have never heard them fight once.

Money isn't everything.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 07:12:14 AM by Doctor Who? »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #488 on: August 03, 2008, 05:53:34 AM »
Actually on that point, why does Bad Credit mean you have to work at Long John Silvers?

I understand the other ads, vaguely, bad credit can indeed mean you won't be able to finance a car or get a workable mortgage (though, as you pointed out, the mortgage doesn't have to be a joint one) but I'm not sure how bad credit forces one to take a job as a gimmick heavy fish supper joint.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #489 on: August 03, 2008, 06:00:42 AM »

I really got steamed at that commercial. I even yelled at the TV the second time I saw it with my own riff:"Hey, klaus, frau blucha! You's prefer a holographic swastika on it maybe?!" (Ok, low blow but the arrogance of those germans with their huge toothed demeaning smiles just got to me...)

Ha-ha, I was thinking the same thing the first time I saw it too

Offline Tron

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #490 on: August 03, 2008, 07:04:33 AM »

I knew it was crappy to make nazi cracks at germans just because they annoy you, but thhey were just so...smug and arrogant it overloaded me, glad to see I wasn't the only one there.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #491 on: August 03, 2008, 07:10:46 AM »

I knew it was crappy to make nazi cracks at germans just because they annoy you, but thhey were just so...smug and arrogant it overloaded me, glad to see I wasn't the only one there.

Hey, I'm half German and the douchebag level of Eva and Klaus in that ad bothered me too.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #492 on: August 03, 2008, 07:14:36 AM »
Actually on that point, why does Bad Credit mean you have to work at Long John Silvers?

I understand the other ads, vaguely, bad credit can indeed mean you won't be able to finance a car or get a workable mortgage (though, as you pointed out, the mortgage doesn't have to be a joint one) but I'm not sure how bad credit forces one to take a job as a gimmick heavy fish supper joint.

yeah last time I check employers didn't check your credit report so why did he have to take that job?

Do people with bad credit get kicked out of high school ?!

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 379
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #493 on: August 03, 2008, 02:12:00 PM »
That Pizza Hut commercial advertising those chocolate dunkers is awful.  :grr:  The lady has the worst fake French accent I've ever heard, on tv or real life.  I'm pretty sure there's footage on some editor's floor covered in takes of customers laughing at either that lady's accent, the smugness of "In yo' face, it's Pizza Hut, sucker!" or both.  Btw, I googled "chocolate dunkers french" to see which chain was selling them; the 4th entry is Commercials I Hate Forums.

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #494 on: August 03, 2008, 03:52:07 PM »
I hate that Hardee's commercial with the "Fake Restaurant, 'Real' People" thing.  I'm supposed to believe that they somehow went to the trouble of creating an entire fictional restaurant just to fake people into thinking they're getting food from somewhere other than Hardee's and then, surprise surprise, the food is actually from Hardee's.  Then the customer smiles and everyone applauds.  Assuming that yes, Hardee's commercial producers have so much money and time on their hands that they can fabricate a simulated restaurant in order to fool people, how many people would they have to go through to get the reaction of delighted surprise that they're looking for?  It brings to mind the SNL sketch where Chris Farley is in a hidden camera commercial for, I think, General Foods International Coffee, and he starts angrily attacking the waiter saying "You bastard!  You lied to me!"  And why are the other patrons clapping when the victim finds out his food was from Hardee's?  Are they all in on it?  It seems like an awful lot of trouble to go to just to fool one person at a time into thinking they're getting food from a quality restaurant when really Hardee's was the one that made it.  All the more reason NOT to eat at Hardee's.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104