Author Topic: Commercials We HATE  (Read 125728 times)

Offline Ranika

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
Re: Commercials We HATE
« Reply #405 on: December 14, 2007, 10:32:28 AM »
Any ad for food that offers only vague platitudes about how good it is but won't tell me the exact composition of the food. Insurance commercials cause they scare the hell out of me.
"If two friends ask you to judge a dispute, don't accept, because you will lose one friend; on the other hand, if two strangers come with the same request, accept because you will gain one friend." - St. Augustine

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #406 on: December 15, 2007, 03:02:31 PM »
'just because you're paranoid, don't mean their not after you ;)

Spy budget, at $43.5 billion
http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSN3020622720071030

Add to that the increase in spending on shredding services used by this current Administration....

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2007/12/bush-secret-shredding-soars.php

Oh...sorry...I forgot.   I'm not suppose to bring up anything political.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2593
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #407 on: January 01, 2008, 03:25:17 PM »
Anyone seen a stupid insurance ad telling everyone to "get in the pool"?  Man that thing is stupid, annoying, and long....

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #408 on: January 02, 2008, 11:38:44 AM »
Anyone seen the commercial... I think it's for American Airlines, where this guy and girl are gossiping about a co-worker who got promoted ahead of them?  And they make absolutely no effort to connect anything the people are saying to American Airlines.  It just shows these two people badmouthing their co-worker, then it shows the American Airlines logo.  What the hell?
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Liked: 8
  • Snarl!
« Reply #409 on: January 02, 2008, 01:51:36 PM »
I'm pretty sure American Airline's previous slogan was "Want to get away?" as in "want to hop on a plane and temporarily escsape your nightmare existance?". If they assume that everyone in America has memorized that fact, maybe they just cut the part where they say their slogan out and skipped right to their logo to try and look edgy and modern.

As predicted, ads for jewelers and diamond-hawkers have dried up completely now that Christmas is over. There aren't enough sneers in the world to show my contempt for their industry.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 01:53:27 PM by RobtheBarbarian »

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #410 on: January 02, 2008, 02:56:47 PM »
I think Southwest (not AA) is probably working on some sort of lame story arc....... like we are supposed to care about the sales man on performance enhancers (e.g. Southwest).

The "wanna get away" ads were great.    I loved the one with the woman snooping in the medicine cabinet and the shelves fall out.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #411 on: January 02, 2008, 03:26:20 PM »
I liked it better when Southwest just focussed on the animals they paint on their planes for a quick joke before they brought up prices.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #412 on: January 03, 2008, 11:12:03 AM »
How about the ads from the local Ambulance chasers.  In Wisconsin we have Habish, Habish and Rottier.  I see at least 4 adds a day on various cable channels.  If I ever need a lawyer, I don't think I'll be picking one that airs there commercials during the 3 am re-run of Sportscenter. 

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #413 on: January 03, 2008, 01:43:27 PM »
I think its hilarious that I can see the same bad lawyer commercial in three different states, just with a different firm name at the end.  The one I'm thinking of has a couple execs in a room talking about some kind of injury case against them.  They're shot in black and white, so you know they're EVIL!  One of them asks the other who's representing the victim.  In Ohio when I watched it, the camera cut away from evil exec one who answered "JIM GIESENFELD!!"  *Dramatic chord* the camera would then cut back to evil exec one as evil exec two said back "Jim Giesenfeld?  Lets settle this one."  So the last half of the ad, you never saw the mouth moving of the actor currently speaking.  This is because they sold this ad to as many lawyers in different areas as possible, and they just dub in a new name when needed.   ;D

I've also seen lawyers that can turn into CGI tigers and "The Strong Arm" who can pound his name into steel with his bare fist.

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #414 on: January 03, 2008, 06:17:22 PM »
If I ever need a lawyer, I don't think I'll be picking one that airs there commercials during the 3 am re-run of Sportscenter.

Most people with jobs can't stay up and watch 3am reruns of anything....   So, the possiblity that these are people that are home because they can't work.  Meaning they might need an ambulance chaser  a lawyer.

That's why - if you're ever been home sick and tune past "Jerry Springer" - they're advertising the Medical Transcription/DeVry-type schools because they have a big audience of the unemployed.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #415 on: January 03, 2008, 06:25:38 PM »
Yeah, I work nights and so I see tv at 11:00pm and 1am on my breaks.  Job training and sex lines and not much else being advertised.

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Thom_Serveaux

• Liked: 1
  • *Platypus Sound*
« Reply #416 on: January 04, 2008, 03:08:37 PM »
Reminds me of some commercials I had to put on the computer at the radio station.  It was for a wine called "Corbett Canyon".  (Not sure if it's any relation to Bill, but if it is, moderators, could you ask Mike to punch him really hard on the arm for me?)  The commercials all involved smartass preppy upper-middle-class types talking to each other about how good Corbett Canyon is.  They were so disgusting and obnoxious.  The worst part is when the people would say the name of the wine, they would repeat it as though they were trying to do an echo effect despite having never heard an actual echo themselves, and all they had to go by were what other people had told them echoes sound like.  So they'd say "Corbett Canyon canyon canyon" and then laugh that pretentious laugh that only preppy upper-middle-class-types can laugh.  God, I wanted to punch something after hearing those commercials.

P.S. Seriously, if Bill Corbett is in any way responsible for those commercials or the wine they endorse, have Mike give him a good kick in the shins.
I remember the radio commercials as being even worse.  Since they couldn't show you the product, they resorted to repeatedly reusing the gag of having the last name of the company echo over and over, ad nauseum (canyon... canyon...anyon... on...)  about 3 or 4 times in a 30 second spot...

Now, unless you're Elvis or Oprah,nobody pays for a car outright there are always payments.

Do you mean the taxes?  Because actually some non-uber-wealthy people do pay cash for a car to avoid the interest on the payments-- they just save and save until they can afford it.  And maybe that big bow on the car means that the giver is taking care of  the payments.  I would hope so, anyway :)

Don't forget the auto unions ,either.  Back in '76 my parents bought a brand new Chrysler Cordoba, which at that time was considered a mid-sized luxury car.  The sticker price was $5,000...

Any add for Esurance.

Why would I buy car insurance from someone just becouse they have cute cartoon?!

A sentiment shared by quite a few in this forum.  :)
I just wish they'd stay off their ever present soapbox about 'mother earth'  When it's just a scam to sell more insurance, 'cause logicaly, if you took it to heart and carpooled and such, their would be fewer cars n the road, and by extension, fewer people needing car insurance, and less profits for them. The One commercial with the mad scientist and the Erin clones was alright, but the one I really hate is the one that harps about CO2 emissions.  If they at least pretended to care enough about the environment to do a little research, I wouldn't mind so much, it's just that they're being so transparent about it.  As far as the threat of CO2...

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/131232/global_warming_carbon_dioxide_and_methane.html
(I apologize, as I have posted this before in a previous rant)

"Another interesting fact to digest: .036% of the atmosphere is carbon dioxide. To paraphrase: Of 100,000 molecules in the atmosphere, only 36 of them are carbon dioxide. Can you really believe that these 36 carbon dioxide molecules among 99,964 are the source of most of our problems?"
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 03:39:25 PM by Thom_Serveaux »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #417 on: January 04, 2008, 03:43:35 PM »
Ok how about those "You Heard us first on radio" travesties.

My particular most loathed is the one featuring Alicia Keys. You know for a girl who's apparently is quite bright, she has no idea where to put emphasis to make a point.

"Before you knew my over night success was seven years in the making!"

WTF? I think you meant

"Before you knew my over night success was seven years in the making!"

ya dumb ivory tinkling broad.

The Madonna one is also fecking irksome, she didn't invent MTV, the man whose mum invented Liquid Paper did.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 04:10:58 PM by TripeHoundRedux »

Offline Thom_Serveaux

• *Platypus Sound*
« Reply #418 on: January 04, 2008, 03:45:59 PM »
this is the credit card companies line of b.s.  Most stores pefer cash instead of checks and credit cards.  What most people don't understand is that stores that do have a handy-dandy swipe and pay, or some kind of card-swipe terminal, have to pay a licensing fee and equipment rental to have it in their stores, which is really more for the consumer than the store.  Don't freak out.  Like i said, this is the CREDIT CARD telling you its hip and cool and faster to use their scanning card, neglecting the fact that most stores ask for a photo I.D. when you pay with a card, regardless wheter or not its "swipe and pay"and if its a Credit card and not a debit card, they also make you sign a recipet to put on file, so the illusion crumbles when reality sets in.  It will be a long time before we become a cashless society.

The fact that i hear a whole multitude of people from all walks of life start to bitch about those commercials, gives me a bit of optimism.

I still bet that the government, especially the one we have now, would love to get rid of that icky old untraceable cash and replace it with something that let them know how, when and where you spent every last cent.

You think they give half a fuck what effect it would have on the public?

That's why I never shop at those stores that insist on you having a "store card" to get their sale prices.  They make note of everything you buy.

I even heard a woman interviewed by George Nori who said that manufacturers were working with stores to have chips put into the soles of shoes that can be traced with sensors in floors of stores and malls that can track where people go and in what order.   I take a lot of what I hear on there with a grain of salt but more and more of what she talked about when it comes to surveillance has come true.

Too much paranoia for me!!
seconded.

Offline Thom_Serveaux

• *Platypus Sound*
« Reply #419 on: January 04, 2008, 03:55:49 PM »
'just because you're paranoid, don't mean their not after you ;)

Spy budget, at $43.5 billion
http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSN3020622720071030

Add to that the increase in spending on shredding services used by this current Administration....

http://radaronline.com/exclusives/2007/12/bush-secret-shredding-soars.php

Oh...sorry...I forgot.   I'm not suppose to bring up anything political.
Um, one question, if  this is*shhh* secret*shhh* shredding, how is it that we can believe these numbers are accurate?  I mean the story itself, admits that that the organization tracking these expenditures is 'spanking new'' (their words, not mine)  I mean for example:

1.) How can they give a reasonable representation of shredding expenditures that took place before they existed?

2.) Since anyone who believes this invariably also believes that all politicians are liars, how can they assume that any administration, past or present, is giving them the actual *shhh* secret *shhh* shreddding?