Author Topic: Commercials We HATE  (Read 130807 times)

Offline Beverly

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
Re: Commercials We HATE
« Reply #390 on: December 12, 2007, 05:27:42 PM »
LOL, my husband and I just don't talk about chiropractors or we will get in a HUGE fight!  Once he helped me out of some boots and immediately bent back my feet at this very painful angle, on the theory that feet "need to be cracked" after being in boots.  It might work for some people, but the whole chiropractor thing doesn't add up for me.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 05:29:38 PM by Beverly »

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #391 on: December 12, 2007, 08:58:10 PM »
qualified Chiropractor

OXYMORON ALERT!

Damn you for beating me to it, Imrahil! Damn you TO HELL!
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Zardoz!

• Magneto-cent Member
A commercial that really disturbs me, and it should disturb you...
« Reply #392 on: December 13, 2007, 01:47:13 AM »
There's this commercial for this new type of credit card that has several minor variations of the same theme.

There's a business, and a lot of "cool", "smart" types, all good looking, well dressed, "hip" types are shopping in it to a musical tune, and they're all using this new credit card that they just swipe and go, do ID, no confirmation, just swipe and go.

Then along come they guy who sticks out like a neon cockroach in a peanut dish. He's either older, or balding, on not well dressed, whatever. He's obviously not "cool".

He comes up to the register and, horror or horrors!, pays with cash(!), or a regular check. Well, this just ruins everyone's day, it's just so uncool.

Everyone gives mr. uncool looks of bare tolerance, if not disdain, and he scurries off to get out of the cool people's sight lest he be subject to more contempt.

So the message is that "cool" people use this new card and "uncool" people use cash or checks.

Some people may see nothing wrong with this commercial. After all, the form of tapeworm known as advertisers have been using the "Cool people use our stuff! Nerds don't!" meme for decades, but I find there are some future possibilities with this ad that I find disturbing.

What if this is just the first step in an assault on cash? Cash is pretty nice, you know. It's hard to trace, hard to control, hard to pin down. If you pay with cash the government and corporations can't trace you very easily if they don;t have the serial numbers of your money, which is unlikely if you don't rob a bank.

I bet the government and corporations just hate cash and would like to see it eliminated. Imagine a society with no cash. You can't spend one red cent without a card of some type being swiped thru a reader linked to the computer net. In other words, you can't spend a red cent without "them" knowing where you are, what you bought and when you bought it.

I think that sucks, personally. I think they know too much as is. But of course they won't be happy until you can't fart without there being an automatic environmental impact report being filed and, probably, being subject to an environmental tax for the harm to the ozone you did.

So these new commercials try to make cash out as something "cool" people don't use. (Of course people who don't want to pay more fees to spend their own money may not use it either, but that's being intelligent, and they don't want people to be intelligent, intelligent people are harder to control. They want people to be worried about being "Cool" because cool people are easier to control. They do whatever they're told is cool.)

So eventually we get some places that only take the new system, they won't take cash or checks. It'll be places that "cool" people go, like starbuck's, at first. They'll claim it saves time and money, not having to lug cash to the back every day and instead just making everything digital.

Then, as the new system spreads like a metastasizing tumor, some places will impose a surcharge for using cash. "Well, we do have to have someone come and take it to the bank, after all, and have a safe to store it in, so it's only fair that you pay the surcharge for using it." I could see walmart doing that sometime in a decade or so...

A few of us, like me, will reject the new system to our dying breaths as we do not want the fucking system to know where, how and when we spend every cent we have so that the government can control us and the corporations can target us for computer customized advertising (Brainwashing).

I'm sure eventually they'll get around to the final phase of the war on cash, and the war on the privacy and freedom from monitoring and surveillance it makes possible. They'll finally claim that "Terrorists use cash to buy things to do bad things with because it's untraceable!" and "Anyone who doesn't want the government to be able to track how he spends every penny is a terrorist or a terrorist sympathizer!" 

Then, of course, in the holy name of NINE....ONE....ONE!!! or whatever reichstag fire they've cooked up by then, they'll make it illegal to use cash without a federally government approved ID scanned into a network that tracks how, where and when you spend every last cent you make. Sure, it'll be expensive, but you'll be the ones paying for it. Sure, it'll drive small businesses under, but that's what corporate america wants.

Next time you see an ad for one of these new credit card systems that makes it look so cool and smart to use them instead of that old, slow, dorky cash, think about what it means when you use a card like that, and where it can lead to.

Today, using things like these new wonder cards is a choice. I want to encourage as many people as possible not to use them, so it will remain a choice. If enough people get suckered into using them, the rest of us might not have a choice later on.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 01:56:45 AM by Zardoz! »
Everyone who believes in justice, racial equality and free speech should support Duane "the Dog" Chapman and boycott anyone who takes action against him.

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 33
    • Ortega's Covers
Re: A commercial that really disturbs me, and it should disturb you...
« Reply #393 on: December 13, 2007, 02:13:07 AM »
this is the credit card companies line of b.s.  Most stores pefer cash instead of checks and credit cards.  What most people don't understand is that stores that do have a handy-dandy swipe and pay, or some kind of card-swipe terminal, have to pay a licensing fee and equipment rental to have it in their stores, which is really more for the consumer than the store.  Don't freak out.  Like i said, this is the CREDIT CARD telling you its hip and cool and faster to use their scanning card, neglecting the fact that most stores ask for a photo I.D. when you pay with a card, regardless wheter or not its "swipe and pay"and if its a Credit card and not a debit card, they also make you sign a recipet to put on file, so the illusion crumbles when reality sets in.  It will be a long time before we become a cashless society.

The fact that i hear a whole multitude of people from all walks of life start to bitch about those commercials, gives me a bit of optimism.

Offline doggans

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
« Reply #394 on: December 13, 2007, 03:27:06 AM »
Yeeeeeeaaaaaah, speaking as a former cashier (aren't we all, really?), I can safely say that I hated it when people payed with credit cards, unless it was for a really large order. Slowed everything way down.

I'm reminded of the Dave Barry column where he suggests an "annoyance charge" for credit card users, based on how many people are behind you in line and similar factors.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #395 on: December 13, 2007, 06:09:35 AM »

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #396 on: December 13, 2007, 06:31:36 AM »
I hate the pharmaceutical ads too.  People actually do ask their doctor or pharmacist about them and a lot of doctors cave in and give them what they "demand."  The hell? He went to medical school for 4 years, did as many years of a residency and probably has been in practice for a while and you're telling him what to give you?

If they don't do it, patients think they're bad doctors and go elsewhere. I actually had one guy pick up a prescription and when he saw the drug was just under $10, he demanded me switch him to something better.  Something better? Funny, all the lit says that this one is just as good as the "repacked" $120 one, but no, he ended up on a fancy-schmancy name brand.  It's what he wanted.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 06:36:32 AM by AmandaGal »
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #397 on: December 13, 2007, 07:28:21 AM »
Chiropractors are as reliable and logical as astrologers.

Unfortunately, that is somewhat true, unless you go to a Chiropractor who practices the method called "Gonstead". It is far more accurate and requires much more study than any other form of Chiropractic, and I can personally attest to its quality.

Offline Zardoz!

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #398 on: December 13, 2007, 07:53:27 PM »
this is the credit card companies line of b.s.  Most stores pefer cash instead of checks and credit cards.  What most people don't understand is that stores that do have a handy-dandy swipe and pay, or some kind of card-swipe terminal, have to pay a licensing fee and equipment rental to have it in their stores, which is really more for the consumer than the store.  Don't freak out.  Like i said, this is the CREDIT CARD telling you its hip and cool and faster to use their scanning card, neglecting the fact that most stores ask for a photo I.D. when you pay with a card, regardless wheter or not its "swipe and pay"and if its a Credit card and not a debit card, they also make you sign a recipet to put on file, so the illusion crumbles when reality sets in.  It will be a long time before we become a cashless society.

The fact that i hear a whole multitude of people from all walks of life start to bitch about those commercials, gives me a bit of optimism.

I still bet that the government, especially the one we have now, would love to get rid of that icky old untraceable cash and replace it with something that let them know how, when and where you spent every last cent.

You think they give half a fuck what effect it would have on the public?
Everyone who believes in justice, racial equality and free speech should support Duane "the Dog" Chapman and boycott anyone who takes action against him.

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #399 on: December 13, 2007, 08:01:05 PM »

I still bet that the government, especially the one we have now, would love to get rid of that icky old untraceable cash and replace it with something that let them know how, when and where you spent every last cent.

That's why I never shop at those stores that insist on you having a "store card" to get their sale prices.  They make note of everything you buy.

I even heard a woman interviewed by George Nori who said that manufacturers were working with stores to have chips put into the soles of shoes that can be traced with sensors in floors of stores and malls that can track where people go and in what order.   I take a lot of what I hear on there with a grain of salt but more and more of what she talked about when it comes to surveillance has come true.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #400 on: December 14, 2007, 04:19:26 AM »

That's why I never shop at those stores that insist on you having a "store card" to get their sale prices.  They make note of everything you buy.

I even heard a woman interviewed by George Nori who said that manufacturers were working with stores to have chips put into the soles of shoes that can be traced with sensors in floors of stores and malls that can track where people go and in what order.   I take a lot of what I hear on there with a grain of salt but more and more of what she talked about when it comes to surveillance has come true.

That's one reason when I do go to Safeway (which does have those discount cards) I use the card the cashier gave me, that was really just out of a box full of lost cards.   :D  Otherwise I'd never want to use it.  So now nothing I do traces to me, and I'm making their info about the original owner incorrect.  If anyone asks there I'm "Mr. Beeson"
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #401 on: December 14, 2007, 06:09:28 AM »

Too much paranoia for me!!

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #402 on: December 14, 2007, 09:49:35 AM »
Is what you're buying at the grocery store really interesting enough for the CIA to be monitoring it?

If so, remind me not to be your neighbor.  I'm not in to house explosions. :)
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Doctor Who?

« Reply #403 on: December 14, 2007, 09:53:31 AM »
I hate all those video game adds that don't show you any videos of the game being played,they just show some people acting weird and then at the very end they tell you the add was for a video game.

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #404 on: December 14, 2007, 10:11:03 AM »

Too much paranoia for me!!

'just because you're paranoid, don't mean their not after you ;)

Spy budget, at $43.5 billion
http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSN3020622720071030