Author Topic: Commercials We HATE  (Read 130632 times)

Offline LadyKenobi

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
    • BlondeChampagne
Re: Commercials We HATE
« Reply #360 on: December 04, 2007, 05:07:43 PM »
I hate ANY commercial that changes the words of a song.  One Elvis classic was ruined for me forever by some pet food company.

Love me tender
Love me sweet
Feed me Tender Chunks...

Now that I'm reading that as an adult, its doubly disturbing.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2007, 12:11:37 AM by LadyKenobi »

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3212
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #361 on: December 04, 2007, 05:25:11 PM »
She's got legs! She knows how to use them. Sheer(R) Energy legs...

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #362 on: December 04, 2007, 11:48:51 PM »
Every single smokeshop add I hear on the radio does that, they're always playing around with some stupid song, sung badly, but made about pipes and glass and detox tea.  Oi.

Why don't they just be honest.  Open a smokeshop called "We can sell you everything but the pot"
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #363 on: December 05, 2007, 05:11:47 AM »
Every single smokeshop add I hear on the radio does that, they're always playing around with some stupid song, sung badly, but made about pipes and glass and detox tea.  Oi.

Why don't they just be honest.  Open a smokeshop called "We can sell you everything but the pot"

They can actually advertise where you live?

Here (in Facist Fort Lauderdale) they keep a VERY low profile.

Offline Hebs

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #364 on: December 05, 2007, 05:44:06 AM »

Haha, I once saw a great stand up act from Matt Besser, 1/3rd of Upright Citizens Brigade.  He was talking about how the whole "FOR TOBACCO USE ONLY" sign is completely ridiculous, because they openly sell bongs and whatnot.  They might as well put signs in gun shops that say "NOT FOR MURDER". Haha :)
.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #365 on: December 05, 2007, 06:29:33 PM »

So far I've lived in near Dayton Ohio and near Denver Colorado, and in both you'd get radio ads for smokeshops.  Never TV, but tons of repetitive annoying radio ads.  The funniest ones were back in Dayton though, for a place called Dream Merchant, which were low-key ads with a guy named Nolan who obviously got stoned out of his mind every time he recorded.

Shoot, there's one morning show here in Denver that has a "5am salute" where the DJ takes a call, they have the caller take a hit off his bong held up to the phone (being careful not to say what's in it) then they send the guy a free cd or something.

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #366 on: December 05, 2007, 06:51:03 PM »

So far I've lived in near Dayton Ohio and near Denver Colorado, and in both you'd get radio ads for smokeshops.  Never TV, but tons of repetitive annoying radio ads.  The funniest ones were back in Dayton though, for a place called Dream Merchant, which were low-key ads with a guy named Nolan who obviously got stoned out of his mind every time he recorded.

Shoot, there's one morning show here in Denver that has a "5am salute" where the DJ takes a call, they have the caller take a hit off his bong held up to the phone (being careful not to say what's in it) then they send the guy a free cd or something.

Amazing.

I mean, I've heard someone call up an entertaiment talk show and take a bong hit....

But that was back before Janet Jackson and Justin Timberlake did the stupidest thing ever and the radio as well as the TV stations started running scared.

Before then, the ones here used to play Pink Floyd's "Money" uncensored.  Now they've even cut out the "Bull" part of that line...   :grr:

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 8
  • Snarl!
« Reply #367 on: December 07, 2007, 10:23:28 AM »
Commercials for the Planet Earth series are really starting to wear thin. They consist of rediculously dramatic orchestral music over picturesque scenes of natural environments and wildlife, and once or twice they're pretty impressive... at about the 15th time you see it in any given day, however, it gets underwhelming and really, really repetative. If they'd gone with slightly less dramatic music it might have more milage.

Offline Hebs

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #368 on: December 07, 2007, 02:12:20 PM »
Commercials for the Planet Earth series are really starting to wear thin. They consist of rediculously dramatic orchestral music over picturesque scenes of natural environments and wildlife, and once or twice they're pretty impressive... at about the 15th time you see it in any given day, however, it gets underwhelming and really, really repetative. If they'd gone with slightly less dramatic music it might have more milage.

Haha the environment is kinda boring isn't it?

"Nature smells!" - Final Sacrifice
.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....

Offline scottrkrv

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #369 on: December 09, 2007, 12:27:39 AM »
Ok...

Why are you people watching commericials you do not like?

I either...

1) swicth the channel when one comes on
2)watch DVDs
3) go to the bathroom/kitchen/turn off the TV and go to bed
4) go out into the real world.

Complaining about commericials you don't have to watch is like complaining about....
damn...
complaining about stupid shit you don't have to watch.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #370 on: December 09, 2007, 05:19:13 AM »
Because we can derive a little bit of amusement by pouring derision on said commercials.

Offline Sheik Yerbouti

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #371 on: December 09, 2007, 05:58:27 AM »
I hate the commercials for COX Cable that we get here in Las Vegas.  I moved from the East Coast and I'm used to companies like Comcast who never felt the need for mascots.  'It's the cable company, deal with it'.  That should be the slogan.  But Cox apparently wanted to put a personal face on things so they came up with a mascot which is... a cartoon white guy wearing a blue shirt.  A very average looking white guy at that.  Nothing comical about him apart from the fact that his hair is a little pointy.   He looks a little like a character from The Sims.  I don't know if he has a name but it's probably 'Bob' or 'Joe'.  Seriously, why bother with a mascot if you're not going to make him funny?  You're that afraid of offending someone?  And again, this is from a company named COX.  Think of all the offensive possibilities they passed up!  I was also disappointed to learn that their pay per view service is just called On Demand and not the much more suggestive COX On Demand.

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #372 on: December 09, 2007, 06:11:09 AM »
I'm not sure I want to know what you want COX's mascot to be.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #373 on: December 09, 2007, 01:13:41 PM »
I'm not sure I want to know what you want COX's mascot to be.

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #374 on: December 09, 2007, 01:48:35 PM »
Or perhaps after he retires from being Michigan's Attorney General, Mike Cox could do the job

Oddly enough in his first election for the job, his opponent was Garry Peters so the electorate had to ask themselves "Cox or Peters?"