login

Author Topic: Commercials We HATE  (Read 125824 times)

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: Commercials We HATE
« Reply #315 on: November 19, 2007, 06:29:57 PM »
I'm not sure when it started, but diamonds in wedding and engagement rings are a somewhat modern thing.  I've seen a lot of old wedding rings that are diamond-less.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #316 on: November 19, 2007, 06:35:51 PM »
Yeah I had a look and couldn't find a definitive answer to your question Bathtub but certainly DeBeers benefits from the trend.

Wedding rings started out being made from Iron.

At some point I should take a pic of my wifes engagement ring which is mostly sapphires in a band that looks not unlike Geordi LaForge's Visor, only , you know, elegant and pretty.

Offline LadyKenobi

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
    • BlondeChampagne
« Reply #317 on: November 19, 2007, 08:11:20 PM »
Obi-Wan gave me an engagement ring with a single sapphire, which thrilled me, because that meant we would actually be able to eat for the first five years of our marriage.

Offline Jinto

• Big Montana
« Reply #318 on: November 19, 2007, 08:44:39 PM »
Is it true that the whole diamond wedding ring is a fairly recently 'created tradition' by DeBeers? Or is that an Urban Legend?

Here's a 1982 article on the subject of diamonds that I ran across somewhere or another...:

http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/print/198202/diamond

Offline darthtron

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #319 on: November 20, 2007, 05:31:55 AM »
okay, okay

lets get back to topic at hand: Commercials We HATE  :clap:  :grr:  :clap:  :grr:  :grr:  :clap:  :clap:

you what Commercial i hate the ones for master card taking about something being priceless and for everything else there is master card

particularly the new one this holiday season where the guy gives his girlfriend/wife a brown paperback and and a box of tissues before he reviled the cars. I would have smacked  my husband/boyfriend if it were me, if he gave me a brown paperback and and a box of tissues for xmas. Thus not giving him an immediate chance to revile the cars

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #320 on: November 20, 2007, 05:47:03 AM »
Actually many a car commercial irks me because they show people giving the gift of a car. Now, unless you're Elvis or Oprah,nobody pays for a car outright there are always payments.

Somebody presents me with a car, I'm socking them, "You bastard! What makes you think I can afford the payments on this piece of shit?"

Offline darthtron

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #321 on: November 20, 2007, 05:59:17 AM »
Actually many a car commercial irks me because they show people giving the gift of a car. Now, unless you're Elvis or Oprah,nobody pays for a car outright there are always payments.

Somebody presents me with a car, I'm socking them, "You bastard! What makes you think I can afford the payments on this piece of shit?"

here  :clap: here :clap: oh and bill gates would likely outright pay for a car!!!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #322 on: November 20, 2007, 06:05:05 AM »
Yes Gates too, but even a bunch of super wealthy people will want to avoid dropping several thou (and it will be several judging by the type of cars that use the irksome ads) on a car. That's how they stay super wealthy :)

Offline LadyKenobi

• Big Montana
    • BlondeChampagne
« Reply #323 on: November 20, 2007, 06:17:29 AM »
Now, unless you're Elvis or Oprah,nobody pays for a car outright there are always payments.

Do you mean the taxes?  Because actually some non-uber-wealthy people do pay cash for a car to avoid the interest on the payments-- they just save and save until they can afford it.  And maybe that big bow on the car means that the giver is taking care of  the payments.  I would hope so, anyway :)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #324 on: November 20, 2007, 06:23:09 AM »
Now, unless you're Elvis or Oprah,nobody pays for a car outright there are always payments.
Do you mean the taxes?  Because actually some non-uber-wealthy people do pay cash for a car to avoid the interest on the payments-- they just save and save until they can afford it. 

Yes, but that's hardly the implication of the ad is it? The idea given is that dude/dudette has simply walked into the dealership and plonked down the readdies.

And maybe that big bow on the car means that the giver is taking care of the payments.  I would hope so, anyway :)

I'm still socking the bastard: "Wow! Saddling me with a whole set of new insurance paperwork to fill out , god I love you ::)"

I don't take too kindly to big presents overmuch. :D

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #325 on: November 20, 2007, 03:06:17 PM »
I don't take too kindly to big presents overmuch. :D

Well!  I was going to buy you a private plane, but now I shan't.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #326 on: November 20, 2007, 03:07:02 PM »
Good, I'd have to fill out paperwork with the FAA  :angry:

:D

Offline Hebs

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #327 on: November 20, 2007, 03:42:33 PM »
Do you mean the taxes?  Because actually some non-uber-wealthy people do pay cash for a car to avoid the interest on the payments-- they just save and save until they can afford it.  And maybe that big bow on the car means that the giver is taking care of  the payments.  I would hope so, anyway :)

A friend of mine did that!  I was like... "Oooh that's why you were so cheap these past few years" ;)
.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....

Doctor Who?

« Reply #328 on: November 30, 2007, 11:32:37 AM »
Any add for Esurance.

Why would I buy car insurance from someone just becouse they have cute cartoon?!

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #329 on: November 30, 2007, 11:41:43 AM »
Any add for Esurance.

Why would I buy car insurance from someone just becouse they have cute cartoon?!

A sentiment shared by quite a few in this forum.  :)