login

Author Topic: Commercials We HATE  (Read 127064 times)

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Re: Commercials We HATE
« Reply #345 on: December 03, 2007, 06:18:34 PM »
Plus it's bollocks credit cards are never less hassle than cash for the shop. If the shop is small enough it's a bleeding bind to have to pay the monthy processing/equipment rental fee.

Oh and in that one set in N'awlins where the non card carrying offender is the big wealthy jessie type, cut that crap out right now: Admittedly in this day and age it would be surprising to find anyone without a credit card but an effete east coast/old southern money* patrician?

* because I'm not entirely sure which rich white stereotype they're going for there.

Offline Plastic Self-Cleaning Duck

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 2
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #346 on: December 03, 2007, 06:25:47 PM »
Oh and in that one set in N'awlins where the non card carrying offender is the big wealthy jessie type, cut that crap out right now: Admittedly in this day and age it would be surprising to find anyone without a credit card but an effete east coast/old southern money* patrician?

* because I'm not entirely sure which rich white stereotype they're going for there.

I think it's a swing at "old fashion thinking"   ::)

And you site the problem it is for the stores....

Seriously watch those commercials where all these people have to do it swipe the card once (yeah, that always happens  ::)), never wait for the connection to their main computer to verify the card and the amount and then they never sign!

If life was like that, I guess they'd have a bit of a point...

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #347 on: December 03, 2007, 06:29:31 PM »
See that might work in England, but I don't think anywhere makes Chip and Pin work in the US.

Of course I speak as somebody who left England before C&P was rolled out and only has US credit cards so I might have entirely the wrong impression of how that works.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 06:47:28 PM by TripeHoundRedux »

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #348 on: December 03, 2007, 06:43:27 PM »
Ditto on the credit card commercials.  You don't need to pay 22% interest on a cup of fuckin coffee. 

And I'm gonna say any company who changes the lyrics to an annoying Christmas carol to sell there product is on my shit list.  Garmin I'm looking at you. 

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #349 on: December 03, 2007, 11:08:19 PM »
To be fair, those commercials are for debit cards, not credit cards, thus no interest (unless you're an idiot and end up with overdrafts and massive fees) but also to be fair, I've always hated those ads for the message they're sending.  Okay so I like paying with cash, don't give me the freaking stinkeye, wait in line like a good little automaton and like it!
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Hebs

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #350 on: December 04, 2007, 05:36:27 AM »
: Admittedly in this day and age it would be surprising to find anyone without a credit card but an effete east coast/old southern money* patrician?

You know, in my life time (22 years) 3 noteworthy things have yet to happen:

1. I've never been stung by a bee
2. I've never bought anything from Starbucks, I've only used their ladies room
3. I don't have a credit card

My boyfriend is on me right now to sign up for one so I can start paying off my student loans in 6 months but I really don't want to.
.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #351 on: December 04, 2007, 05:46:30 AM »
hm

1: Me neither (wasps sure and other nasty things but never a bee)
2. I've been given free things from Starbucks but I've never given them money
3. Your boyf is correct. a credit card is a very useful thing to have as long as you use it sensibly.

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #352 on: December 04, 2007, 05:47:24 AM »
: Admittedly in this day and age it would be surprising to find anyone without a credit card but an effete east coast/old southern money* patrician?

You know, in my life time (22 years) 3 noteworthy things have yet to happen:

1. I've never been stung by a bee
2. I've never bought anything from Starbucks, I've only used their ladies room
3. I don't have a credit card

Three things we have in common (although I've never been in a Starbucks ladies room).

And I just wish I was 22.   :'(

• Mr Bungle
  • Duck!!!
« Reply #353 on: December 04, 2007, 05:50:16 AM »
3. Your boyf is correct. a credit card is a very useful thing to have as long as you use it sensibly.

Okay, I have a debit card with my checking account.  And those are worth having.

Amazing the stuff you can get cheaper - or just plain can't find in stores - with one of those online.

I wouldn't have half my DVD collection without Deep Discount's Semi-Annual 20% off sales and some of their "Buy 2 get One Free" sales....

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 8
  • Snarl!
« Reply #354 on: December 04, 2007, 05:54:22 AM »
I haven't seen any commercials for it, but they're using Family Guy to advertise sandwiches at Subway.
On one poster, you have Jared's gly face representing the Subway Diet, and on the other you have Peter Griffin, the representitive of unhealthy fat white American men everywhere.
?

This commercial has also led me to believe that Family Guy isn't funny if it can't be offensive.

Offline Hebs

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #355 on: December 04, 2007, 06:02:01 AM »

Okay, I have a debit card with my checking account.  And those are worth having.

Yeah, I do have a debit card linked to my checking and a separate savings, but I think I'm going to have to get a credit card and pay off small things to build some good standing.

Know what commercials I HATE?!  High fashion commercials for perfume, like Calvin Klein or Deisel or whatever - everyone stands around all wispy and not talking, enjoying their loveliness, and I assume how good everyone smells.
.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #356 on: December 04, 2007, 06:05:29 AM »
What I hate are the commercials that you have to wait until the very end to find out what they're even selling, and it still doesn't make sense.  I saw one that was a still frame of a garage band with text on the screen talking about their "career" in music and how they'd never been paid for a gig or whatever.  The ad was for Converse shoes.  WTF?

Converse, the official shoe of loser transient musicians.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline ChrisHanel

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #357 on: December 04, 2007, 06:07:27 AM »
Oh yeah, I just saw that one. I was playing the game of trying to guess what the commerical was for. I kept waiting for the title card, "They were killed by a drunk driver who was leaving their show."

"Don't drink and drive."

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #358 on: December 04, 2007, 12:01:35 PM »
OK anyone out there with Yahoo mail seen the same annoying ad I have?

It's for some computer game or other but it features a hefty girl in jodhpurs and riding jacket and a crop (you know ad people not every equestrian woman is a Gorg, most as utterly smoking). Anyway she berates you about some sort of video game but the really annoying thing is i cannot get the damn thing to go without logging out. I don't mind there being ads but ones that I cannot switch off and which obscure the screen annoy the living crap out of me.

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 8
  • Snarl!
« Reply #359 on: December 04, 2007, 04:14:15 PM »
What I hate are the commercials that you have to wait until the very end to find out what they're even selling, and it still doesn't make sense.  I saw one that was a still frame of a garage band with text on the screen talking about their "career" in music and how they'd never been paid for a gig or whatever.  The ad was for Converse shoes.  WTF?

Converse, the official shoe of loser transient musicians.

That's cuz Converses are, like totally indie and people who where them because a commercial tells them they're indie aren't fake at all.