Author Topic: What's In A Name?  (Read 31584 times)

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
Re: What's In A Name?
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2007, 07:52:39 PM »
The name's "Steve", and I make the ladies say, "O!"

I just made that up.  The part about the ladies, I mean.  The rest is all true.

It's sort of been my nickname since high school, after a commercial for a local car dealership in which Chick Hearn said, "Steve-O, that's my line!"  I say "sort of" because absolutely nobody calls me that.  But the general douchiness of referring to yourself as "Steve-O" when nobody else does amuses me, so I've stuck with it.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2007, 07:55:20 PM »
Sideswipe happened to be my callsign while I was in Iraq.  I drove armored Hummvees in convoy security and MSR(main supply route) patrol missions and had a reputation for side swiping Iraqi drivers who were stupid enough to try to break into our convoys.  Also is the name of a favorite Autobot from a favorite cartoon show so I encouraged the use of it.

Wow, a double earned nickname!

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3781
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2007, 07:57:20 PM »
Sideswipe happened to be my callsign while I was in Iraq.  I drove armored Hummvees in convoy security and MSR(main supply route) patrol missions and had a reputation for side swiping Iraqi drivers who were stupid enough to try to break into our convoys.  Also is the name of a favorite Autobot from a favorite cartoon show so I encouraged the use of it.
WOW!! Excellent!
Also a fan of the 80's Transformers.
Hello to a fellow Veteran.Glad You made it back safe.
I was in the U.S. Navy Nuclear Submarine Force from 1988-92, during the 1st Iraq war driving and navigating 5 different subs in my 4 year career.

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2007, 07:58:15 PM »
Quote from: Steve-O
I just made that up.  The part about the ladies, I mean.

Yeah, you could have stuck with the truth...
But i guess that Steve?-Eww wouldn't have been the best forum name.

:rimshot:

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2007, 08:04:26 PM »
I just made that up.  The part about the ladies, I mean.

Yeah, you could have stuck with the truth...
But i guess that Steve?-Eww wouldn't have been the best forum name.

I'm considering changing it to "Steve-EatMe".  What do you think?

Offline Rude

• Forum Czar
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2007, 08:09:03 PM »
I'm considering changing it to "Steve-EatMe".  What do you think?

Uh... tasty?

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2007, 11:59:49 PM »
Sharktopus is the obscurest Futurama reference ever. So obscure, in fact, that I thought I'd made the word up for a while. It may also be an unintentional, but appreciated reference to Devil Fish. My subconscious and I don't really talk much.

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 33
    • Ortega's Covers
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2007, 12:25:57 AM »
eh......for you Non-MSTies, there was a odd character in eps 812.  i liked the character, so there you go.  Plus, it was the first name that came to mind.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3113
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2007, 02:53:56 AM »
My very first online experiences were on the Nintendo.com chatrooms back in '95. Since I was going to do most of my chatting about Nintendo games, I figured I should come up with a good video game themed name. Back then, Nintendo cartidges were known as Game Paks. At some point it struck me that I could combine the term Game Pak with one of my favorite old-school arcade games, mix in a bad pun and be the Pak-Man.

And now you know the rest of the story. Good day. :^)

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2007, 05:36:04 AM »
It's cool to hear all these name origins.

By the way Sharky, have you seen this?

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2007, 08:45:53 AM »

whoa... quoted for total kickassedness!

Anyways, Nunyerbiz is an old high school nickname. I would always crack jokes in conversations that I wasn't a part of...  which would lead to somebody telling me to "mind my business" .. which sorta combined with my last name to form Jason 'none your business' Nunn... shortened to Nunyerbiz... and then further shortened to Nunyer... but the 'biz' on the end works better for a forum name I thought.

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 0
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2007, 09:05:09 AM »
Well, originally I went by just Kodiak, which was the short form of "The Kodiak Marmoset", a character that appeared in one episode of the great Ren and Stimpy show, back when it was good. He was the world's largest smallest primate. BTW the episode is one of my all-time favorites: The Royal Canadian Kilted Yaksmen.

Some time back, I learned to juggle, and had so much fun with it I decided to add it to the moniker.

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2007, 09:43:03 AM »
This will only make sense to the veterans on this board, but remember that poster named ZachsMind?  He was ranting about Tom Cruise, seething hatred form every pore.  His posts were some of the first I read on the board, before I registered.  I registered just to respond to some of his ramblings, and I picked a really obscure Tom Cruise reference to do it with.  Smilin' Jack Ross is what Tom Cruise's character calls Kevin Bacon's character in A Few Good Men.

Later on, cuz I was bored, a google search revealed that Tom Cruise's reference may have sprung from the old aviation serial comic Smilin Jack.  Another source said that the reference was to Kevin Bacon's character "Smilin Jack Casey" in Quicksilver.

Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline rocket9

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2007, 10:15:55 AM »
Mine's fairly obvious to any MST fan, but to those who are not, Rocket #9 was the external camera on the Satellite of Love - Joel, Mike and the 'Bots geosynchronous movie-house prison.

Offline Thom_Serveaux

• Liked: 1
  • *Platypus Sound*
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2007, 07:40:49 PM »
Mine's only slightly more complex than that.  I had seen the MST3K ep where they riffed Hamlet.  During a host segment, the 'bots had to come up with new names for themselves.  I was trying to use Tom's new name from memory, but I screwed up the spelling, and so 'Htom Sirvieaux' became Thom Serveaux...