Author Topic: Harry Potter Book 7 Speculation  (Read 7546 times)

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
Harry Potter Book 7 Speculation
« on: July 02, 2007, 07:42:09 PM »
So what does everyone think is going to happen in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows?  Who's going to die?  Who's going to survive?  Who, if anyone, is going to come back from the dead, or turn out to have not been dead in the first place?

Some theories of my own:

Harry is going to die.  But his death is going to be necessary, because I think it's going to turn out that Harry himself is a horcrux.  Think about it.  In order to make a horcrux, you have to commit murder, and in the creation of a horcrux, one transfers part of one's soul to the object.  That could explain why Harry got some of Voldemort's powers.

Harry will find out that Snape was acting on Dumbledore's orders all along.  It only makes sense.  We'll also find out what happened between Snape and Dumbledore that made Dumbledore trust him so implicitly. 

We'll find out that R.A.B. is Regulus Black, Sirius's brother.  It fits the initials. 

Dumbledore's brother will take a large part in the story.

And here's a question I have to ask: am I the only person who is kind of hoping that there will be some kind of redemption for Draco Malfoy?
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline Lady Kitsch

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 1
Re: Harry Potter Book 7 Speculation
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2007, 12:21:20 PM »
A fun idea for a thread!  My theories are as follows:
Harry will not die.  He will be willing to die in order to stop Voldemort, but it won't come to that.  I do agree that Harry is a horcrux or that the book will at least fake us out by making us think that before revealing someone else to be so.  However, a lot of people seem to think that Harry will die, so who knows?

I agree with the Snape-acting-on-Dumbledore's-orders theory.  Snape will probably be killed in the book.  Someone major besides Voldemort will also die - perhaps Ron. 

I think that Draco will not be redeemed, if only because Rowling seems to be disgusted by how much fans love him in spite of her efforts to make him see repulsive. 

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 0
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2007, 01:03:23 PM »
I wholly disagree with the assertion that Harry is a Horcrux. I just don't see Voldemort using Harry to split his own soul. It just doesn't fit, IMO.
Besides, why would Voldemort use another person, someone who has a soul of their own, to protect part of his soul? At the very least I don't think Voldemort had any intention of using Harry as a Horcrux. He was just acting on what little of the prophecy he knew.
And I don't think Jo would kill Harry, even though he'd definitely sacrifice himself for the greater good, or to protect those close too him.

What is the significance of the sound of apparition? Most are described as loud cracks, some are faint cracks, and some, such as Voldemort or Dumbledore are not described as making any sound. Could it be that the volume of the sound may indicate a wizard or witch's level of power?

And why can the house elves apparate inside Hogwarts? Is it just their brand of magic? Or is it allowed for them to apparate inside the castle only? Plus, Dumbledore uses Fawkes the Phoenix to disappear from Hogwarts when he was being cornered by Fudge and his gang. Did he really disapparate or was it just a trick?

It's so cool that there's only a couple more weeks until we get closure!!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 01:11:19 PM by kodiakthejuggler »

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
  • The FBI Pays Me to Surf
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2007, 04:56:02 PM »
i've never read a harry potter book past book two so I'ma say that I am a Horcrux - muahahaha!
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...

Offline daltysmilth

• My Space
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2007, 07:08:01 PM »
i've never read a harry potter book past book two so I'ma say that I am a Horcrux - muahahaha!

D'oh!  I knew it! 

Also

I wholly disagree with the assertion that Harry is a Horcrux. I just don't see Voldemort using Harry to split his own soul. It just doesn't fit, IMO.
Besides, why would Voldemort use another person, someone who has a soul of their own, to protect part of his soul? At the very least I don't think Voldemort had any intention of using Harry as a Horcrux.

I should have been more specific.  I don't think Voldemort made Harry a Horcrux on purpose.  Or at the very least, I don't think he went to the Potters' house intending to make him one.  I think it most likely happened accidentally, as a side effect of when his use of the Avada Kadavra curse failed.  It backfired on Voldemort, and somehow that caused part of his soul to be trapped in Harry's body.  Or maybe when it backfired on him, he realized he was dying, and not wanting to take any chances, he attached part of his soul to the nearest object he could find, which happened to be Harry.

In any case, does anyone ever wonder if J.K. Rowling plays a lot of video games?  I remember thinking when I read the first one that it read almost like a novelization of a Zelda game, what with all the puzzles and whatnot that Harry had to get through to get the Philosopher's Stone (why they changed it to "Sorcerer's Stone for us Americans I'll never know.)

And now, with what's going to happen in book 7, I mean, just exchange the name "Harry Potter" with "Link" and "Horcrux" with "Piece of the Triforce" and you've got a perfect setup for a Zelda game.  I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I can just picture J.K. Rowling sitting at her Nintendo 64, trying to figure out how to make Link play "Jessica" on the Ocarina.

Offline MSTJedi

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 604
  • In a not too distant future far, far away. . . .
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2007, 07:11:39 PM »
Anyone seen the book that speculates on what will happen in book 7? I just can't see the logic in that. I mean, why go to the trouble to publish a book that will be obsolete as soon as the book comes out? But, I suppose there will be the crazy people who will actually buy the thing just to see if their theories are shared by someone else. It's not like the author of the book is privy to any of Rowling's notes or anything.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 01:53:48 PM by MSTJedi »

anais.jude

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2007, 11:45:15 AM »
Wow, my first post, I feel so....shiny and new.
Anyway, I was thinking that Harry might be a horcrux too, but I don't think so. I def don't think he will die in this book unless he quickly marries and impregnates Ginny. I don't think she would have introduced a love interest for Harry if she knew he would die (she=j.k.). Also, I read on her website a long time ago that it was very important to realize that Ginny was the first female weasley in many, many years.
I completely agree that Snape was working on Dumbledore's orders. I re-read number 6 recently and Dumbledore def knew what was going on the whole time (with Draco, Snape, etc). I think that it was Snape's remorse after he caused the death of James and Lily that made Dumbledore trust Snape.
As for the horcruxes, I think that one of them has to be at the orphanage where Voldemart (I mis-spelled that on purpose, that is what i call him. Shop smart, shop voldemart) was born and grew up. Also, I think there is one at Godric's Hollow, where Voldemart killed Lily and James. Remember that he wasn't planning on killing Lily, but no one ever said that he didn't plan on killing James. He killed James and placed one of the horcruxes in Godric's Hollow (that would also be his gryffindor reference).
finally, as much as i would hate for it to happen, i really don't want ron to die, but he and hermione have not officially gotten together.
love andrea  >:D

Offline headlesschocolatebunny

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2007, 06:08:30 AM »
i also think longbottom (tht is really funny to type that!) is going to play a bigger part than he is in the previous books. they sure are hinting at it-what if they kill him too?!?!? :speechless:
Gravity, thou are a heartless bitch!

Offline DrForester

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • You Read It, You Can't Unread it
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2007, 09:03:42 PM »
I don't think Harry's a Horcrux, but I do think his scar is the result of a failed  horcrux.,  The way the Horcrux spell was described it sounds like the caster kills someone and it splits their soul (Splits within them, not transfers to the murder victim).  Then they would transfer that piece of their soul into whatever item they wanted to make a Horcrux.  It wounds like a 2 part spell and Voldemort got stopped after part 1.  Harry as a Horcrux just makes no sense, because then Voldemert would have (in his view) been trying to make a dead baby one of his Horcrux's.  The Killing curse is not supposed to leave any mark.  As a failed Horcrux I don't think it gave Harry a part of his soul, but really just left a link to him.  Lets also not forget that Harry's house was destroyed, the Killing curse also does not do that.

As for who's going to die, I know she's said 2 main characters, but she's said that in the past.  JK Rowling's view of "Main Character" is quite broad.  I do not think that any of the main 3 will die.  The only character I think is defiantly going to die is Snape.  I do not think he is evil, but that Dumbedore had to die for really no other reason in his mind than that it was necessary to save Draco, one of his students, and Snape who made the unbreakable vow.  I really think Snape's dead regardless of his loyalties.  I do think someone in the Weasly family will die, and my guess is either Arnold, or Fred and George will be killed.
You Read It, You Can't Un-Read It

Offline daltysmilth

• My Space
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2007, 11:55:26 AM »
You forget, however, that according to Barty Crouch Jr. (In the guise of Mad-Eye Moody) said that Voldemort did use the Avada Kedavra curse on Harry, and that Harry is the only person to ever survive the killing curse, because of the protection his mother gave him with the strength of her love .  And don't forget, Voldemort had already killed Harry's parents by the time he got to Harry, so that would surely have sufficed for the first part of the horcrux spell.  And I think Harry had postulated that Voldemort's snake, Nagini might be a horcrux herself, and if that's true, then it stands to reason that Voldemort would be able to transfer part of his soul into other living creatures as well.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2007, 12:18:23 PM »
« Last Edit: July 08, 2007, 12:23:36 PM by PSLOwner »

Offline DrForester

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • You Read It, You Can't Unread it
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2007, 01:39:29 PM »
You forget, however, that according to Barty Crouch Jr. (In the guise of Mad-Eye Moody) said that Voldemort did use the Avada Kedavra curse on Harry, and that Harry is the only person to ever survive the killing curse, because of the protection his mother gave him with the strength of her love .  And don't forget, Voldemort had already killed Harry's parents by the time he got to Harry, so that would surely have sufficed for the first part of the horcrux spell.  And I think Harry had postulated that Voldemort's snake, Nagini might be a horcrux herself, and if that's true, then it stands to reason that Voldemort would be able to transfer part of his soul into other living creatures as well.

Yeah but Voldemort was trying to kill Harry and it backfired.  There would be no reason to try to turn a 1 year old baby that you're about to kill into a Horcrux.  Like I said, the killing curse is not supposed to leave a mark, or blow up houses.  More happened at that House than just Voldemort having a spell backfire on him.  I still think Harry Scar is the result of a failed Horcrux. 

Or, the Avada Kedarva curse itself could create that link, we know that in order to perform it one has to want to use it to pretty much summon within them pure evil to pull it off, it's not a casual spell at all.  An imprint of the user on the victim could be just a side effect of the spell, but since people don't survive it, no one has ever noticed. 

Also, don't forget that When Tom Riddle emerged from the Diary, he had (Or at least never gave any indication) that he knew anything about the current Voldemort beyond what Ginny told him .  He had no mental link to Voldemort, nor does Voldemort have any link that tells him the status of his Horcrux's (Hence him not knowing the Diary had been destroyed until Lucious told him).  Having some type of mental link seems to not have anything to do with Horcrux's.
You Read It, You Can't Un-Read It

Offline daltysmilth

• My Space
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2007, 03:40:59 PM »
But the diary was not a living object.  And Voldemort was not aware of the mental link between himself and Harry until after Harry realized that Voldemort was trying to get into the Department of Mysteries.  And like I said before, I don't think Voldemort purposely made Harry a Horcrux.  And I never said that the destruction of the house had anything to do with the Avada Kedavra curse.  Although... we only know for sure what it looks like when the killing curse works.  We're not sure what happens when it fails, because, again, the only person who it failed to work on was Harry Potter.

anais.jude

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2007, 01:31:06 PM »
I agree that Neville is becoming more important as a character, but I hope that Neville doesn't die. I want him and Luna to get together and have a bunch of weaird but cool babies!

Offline Dim of the Yard

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • Do the Servo Swivel!
    • Dim's Twitter Page
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2007, 01:39:00 PM »
I know what happens at the end of the story.  The cast all sit in a diner and eat onion rings while listening to Journey's "Don't Stop Believing."  Suddenly, there's a blackout, then ten seconds of silence, then the credits roll.

But back on topic, I have heard two different spoilers for the book from people who swear that what they heard was true, and there was one fact in the one set of spoilers that contradicted the other spoiler I read.  As far as the supposed "spoilers" go, I'm chalking it all up to poorly named speculation.

I think that Hagrid is going to bite the magical, proverbial bullet.  He was essentially the one that introduced Harry to magic in the first place, and he's a pretty close friend of his.  I think he's just too close to Harry not to end up on the list of victims for Book 7.  And I've heard that Kreacher was going to be important to the plot, as well.  They almost took him out of the fifth movie, but when they ran it by JK, she said that if they did that, it would make the seventh movie very, very tricky.  So there's something else to think about there.

A friend of my mother's thinks that Harry is definitely going to live, although she doesn't use the canon to back that up.  She uses the fact that the Harry Potter series is getting its own theme park in Universal Studios.  (I think it's Universal Studios, anyway....)  Because, honestly, who in their right mind would dedicate a theme park to a book series where the main character dies?  If there isn't one thing in this world that saps the fun out of a place, it's the lingering fact that the beloved childhood character to which this park was dedicated to is six feet underground (or at least the Wizarding equivalent).

Whatever happens, I think my favorite part of the experience will be following the crazies of the fanbase.  I've seen somebody threaten to take her artwork off of the Internet if one particular character turned out to be... well, not up to her standards, I'll say.  I would go so far as to say that my favorite part of being a Harry Potter fan is keeping an eye on the fanbase and checking out their antics or their reactions to certain things.  Fun times for all.