login

Author Topic: Thoughts & Favorite Lines  (Read 27826 times)

Offline RandyMistie

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 116
  • Hello!
Re: Thoughts & Favorite Lines
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2007, 12:23:22 PM »
I am a Trek fan and I like the TV show Next Generation very much!  But, none of the Next Generation movies have had very good writing, and this one was indeed, as Mike and Kevin pointed out in the beginning, the very silliest of the Star Trek movies, (possible exception, STV).  Also, with the exception of Stewart, (who had some bad moments in this movie!), none of the other actors are really "big screen" material... know what I mean? 

So, I loved the 'Trax and I love it when the guys skewer Trek movies.  I say, do 'em all!!!
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2007, 04:08:15 PM »
"They look like the offspring of Ted Nugent and a snapping turtle."

Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2400
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2007, 04:13:45 PM »
I am a Trek fan and I like the TV show Next Generation very much!  But, none of the Next Generation movies have had very good writing, and this one was indeed, as Mike and Kevin pointed out in the beginning, the very silliest of the Star Trek movies, (possible exception, STV).  Also, with the exception of Stewart, (who had some bad moments in this movie!), none of the other actors are really "big screen" material... know what I mean? 

So, I loved the 'Trax and I love it when the guys skewer Trek movies.  I say, do 'em all!!!

"You speak what we all are thinking!"

Principal_Skin-trade

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2007, 07:08:36 PM »
I never did even care for "First contact" all that much either... the Borg Queen blowing on Data's skin then saying "Was it good for you?" made me physically ill. Plus Zefram Cochrane being the "reluctant hero" type really never worked. I thought it was a very lame story point. For me, the next gen movies are sad, horribly cliched and lame... but they're still better than Phantom menace and Attack of the clones, albeit barely.

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2007, 07:13:39 PM »
What I like about the Star Trek films in general is that they ARE fun on their own, at least of the ones I've seen.

Principal_Skin-trade

« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2007, 08:21:37 PM »
Well, the classic trek films are more credible as good cinema... save The motionless picture and Star trek V of course.

Offline RandyMistie

• Liked: 116
  • Hello!
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2007, 09:40:04 PM »
Well, the classic trek films are more credible as good cinema... save The motionless picture and Star trek V of course.

Pretty much agreed.  Wrath of Khan was fairly splooge worthy all around, (although it has riffable moments, you must admit), and I really liked Search for Spock, because of Rev. Jim's Klingon Commander-- the best Kilngon ever.

"You Klingon bastard.... you killed my son..."  ah, classic....
Hi!  I'm Randy and I'm a Riffaholic...

Offline SecretAgentSuperDragon

• Liked: 3
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2007, 10:06:20 PM »
I liked the Extras joke about Picard rolling down the hill saying "I've seen everything!" That was hilarious. If you don't know what I'm talking about, enjoy:

[yt=425,350]3jGHMY7nzRs[/yt]

Offline lapager1

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2007, 01:52:30 AM »
I enjoy most Trek movies, save Insurrection. First Contact may be my favorite. I could understand people liking the newer films less since it's kinda hard to keep coming up with fresh ideas that remain in the Trek universe and that appeal to old fans while not totally boring potential fans. At least the new ones have had Patrick Stewart, probably the most credible actor to be have a major role in Star Trek.

Oh yeah, favorite line: "You tell 'em Rhonda!"
"How absurd men are! They never use the liberties they have, they demand those they do not have. They have freedom of thought, they demand freedom of speech."  --Soren Kierkegaard

Offline PlayMSTie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2007, 09:32:43 AM »
"Next time I'll wear a cup."

;D

"Did we do it?"
"Not that I know of."

I liked how they sort of tried to tone it down a bit for the Kirk death  -- I don't care beans for "Star Trek" and the Shat is the hammiest ham that ever hammed it up,  but a little respect for the dying is nice. But that one zinger was classic.  ;D ;D ;D

The Picard and his Victorian children bits were funny, but I'm surprised they didn't do even more "Christmas Carol" riffs. Hasn't Stewart played Scrooge more than once? That would have been perfect.

Great riff, though, and I for one am game for more "Trek" riffs. Not caring beans for the shows or movies apparently really helps you enjoy the riffs! :)
"There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal." C. S. Lewis

Bring back Bridget!

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2007, 09:46:34 AM »
I liked the Extras joke about Picard rolling down the hill saying "I've seen everything!" That was hilarious.

Good catch, I never would have gotten that joke.
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2007, 11:24:52 AM »
While this riff had some great belly laughs, the whole "BUY MORE RIFFTRAX" running gag was completely stupid.  I cut all of it out for my re-author...it's the first time I've ever edited a bad joke out of a rifftrax.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2007, 11:26:26 AM by Smilin' Jack Ross »

Offline SecretAgentSuperDragon

• Liked: 3
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2007, 04:04:07 PM »
That sounds good. I'll probably do that too. I have to anyway because the riff is way louder than the movie audio, and I don't have any subtitles.

Offline estwald

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2007, 10:36:03 PM »
I've only watched the first half, but my God, I was laughing at Riker's "I'll be bouncing on the Counselor."

Also, I had completely forgotten about the strangest line of all time: "They say that time is the fire in which we buuuuuurn." When this first came out my friends and I would grab each other by the arm and repeat this, each time pronouncing the word burn more and more ridiculously.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2400
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2007, 12:45:58 PM »
I've only watched the first half, but my God, I was laughing at Riker's "I'll be bouncing on the Counselor."

Also, I had completely forgotten about the strangest line of all time: "They say that time is the fire in which we buuuuuurn." When this first came out my friends and I would grab each other by the arm and repeat this, each time pronouncing the word burn more and more ridiculously.

My friend kept saying that line over and over before I put the movie in on Friday.   Needless to say, he will be doing that all day at work on Monday.