login

Author Topic: UNOFFICIAL Rifftrax DVD Creating Step-by-Step Guide (Now With Rifftrax Lite)  (Read 208468 times)

Offline Gran

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
Here's a little time saver with ChapterXtractor (apologies in advance if this is old news)...

Before you open the IFO file, go to the Format tab.  Delete all the text in the Header field.  Change the format field to %f\n (that's percent eff backslash enn).  Then open the IFO file as you would normally.  The data will now be in the desired format (one column of numbers without anything else).

HTH
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 04:00:40 PM by Strawberry 5 »

Offline SecretAgentSuperDragon

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 3
  • Cake or Death?
Thanks for the heads up. I'll amend that to the original post.

Offline Melvis

• Blue Beer Drinker
It may have taken me all day, but I finally wrapped my mind around making the Rifftrax dvds.  Great guide SecretAgentSuperDragon, even a layman such as myself was able to put this all together without too many issues.

• Cake or Death?
Cool. Enjoy them.

• Cake or Death?
I haven't done all the rifftrax, but I can tell you that using 2 channel audio whenever possible is the best thing you can do. The audio doesn't go really outta whack or anything like that. Only real bad ones I can remember where daredevil, LOTR, & battlefield earth, but if you run amplify the wave file by 10 db in PX3 Convert, that will usually normalize the audio when put in audacity, then you can just lower the sound levels on the left hand side.

It's usually easier than just finding every single loud part and turning it fown.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1008
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Okay, technical question time.

Last night I sat down and tried the Lite guide to making a DVD. After discovering that none of the 75 blank DVD-Rs that I bought will work in my burner, I finally managed to burn a disc. But unfortunately, when I went to play it, the sound started off well, but quickly began to sound as if they'd replaced the soundtrack with an audiofile of a vacumn cleaner running.

Now, I haven't cleared my temp files, so I went back and checked the wav file, and it sounds fine, with both the riffs and the movie showing up.  Is there something that I missed that might be causing the audio file to get garbled when it is burned to the disc?

• Cake or Death?
Well first off, after you dvd author it w/ rejig, don't immediately burn to dvd. Click on the folder where the files are saved to, and go to video_ts and click on the VTS_01 ifo file. This should launch your dvd player application and play the movie you authored as if it were a dvd. Then you can check and see if the audio is off before you go wasting discs.

I don't know what to say about the 75 dvd-r's. Are you sure your computer takes those and not dvd+r's?

The best advice I can give is if you have trouble with rejig, use ifoedit. If you have trouble with ifoedit, use rejig. Everybody's computer is different in that way.

Try that out. It should help.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1008
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Well, the DVD-R thing is just me griping about being an idiot and buying the wrong blank DVDs at the store. A quick abuse of an Officemax rewards card fixed that problem.

As for the actual audio problem, I've discovered that if I skip ahead in the video, either by hitting next chapter or by manually doing so on the computer, that's when the bad audio comes in. If I let it play normally, it sounds fine. Any idea as to what maybe causing that?

• Cake or Death?
Haven't heard of that before. Try ifoedit and see if the same problem persists.

Offline kylrbeez

• Disembaudio's Squadio
im pretty new in these forums and i started to get some rifftrax here, i read about it all in wikipedia, im not worthy!!,lol you guys have like over 10 films out. i tried the "long" method of the dvd conversion with reign of fire, and it worked like a charm, the only thing i did different was i didnt use audacity. for some reason it kept on crashing and it was a pain to mute the disembaudio parts, but i used vegas video to synch up the rifftrack and movie audio, did all what the instructions said and yessssssss, first try i got it burned to a disk with original audio and the audio/riff on lang select, thank you for the great tutorial, awesome ;D ;D

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 357
Awesome!

I need to go and brush up on subtitles now for SW ep 2

Offline Qrusher14242

• Schnappi Supporter
Anyone have any problems with Willy Wonka? i got to where i am going to use ifoedit, but i put it into ifoedit and it completes it was no errors, but only the first 31 mins. Gonna try rejig.

Well damn that didnt work either. Not sure what to do, just ripped in DVD Decrypter and did it like all the others. Guess i wont be watching it tonight :( All it does is make 1 gig of vobs and 40 mins of video and then stops.

Well i re-ripped it using DVD Decrypter, but it still only creates one VOB and then stops, with no errors. Guess i'll wait until the next rifftrax to watch one. Had watched everyone until now.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 09:13:52 PM by Qrusher14242 »

Offline Jonny Jit

• Schnappi Supporter
    • http://www.myspace.com/jonnyjit
I guess I'll throw in my method.

I use only 2 programs to make my Rifftrax DVD's, Nero 6 and DVD Decrypter.

First I pay for the DVD and the Rifftrax (I sell the DVD later)
I unzip the Rifftrax to the folder where I keep them.
I decrypt the movie to my hard drive into its own folder.

Next I start Nero 6 and use the program that converts DVD's to mpeg4.  Nero does an excellent job of identifying the main movie title, which is all you really want, filtering out menus, special features, other audio tracks. The program also reprograms the mpeg4 file to fit on a regular sized DVD.  This takes about as long as the movie plays.  I have never had a problem with the audio getting out of sync with the video using this program

Next I go to the "make movie" feature in Nero 6.  I import the unzipped Rifftrax and drop it down into the audio container.  I then play the rifftrax and pause the audio when Mike tells me to.  I then make a segment cut and delete the rifftrax intro. (Don't worry, the original rifftrax remains intact)

I then bring in the mpeg4 movie file and drop it into its container.  Using the grab feature I can adjust the audio rifftrax to sync up perfectly by shifting the audio track back and forth in its container if it is out of sync.  I adjust the movie volume to be just below the Rifftrax volume.  Nero does a good job of equalizing the volume so there are no loud or soft variations after you get the volumes to where you want them.

I then use Nero 6 to add chapters automatically, create a menu screen and then burn the DVD.

It takes a little over 4 hours to do all this if its a 2 hour movie. I am very pleased with the results

I like to use this method too.  The only challenge I have is with forced subtitles (like aliens in the Star Wars').  It's not a big deal, but would be nice to have.
Me Stan. Bachomp Ba chuey chomp.  Ba Chuey chomp.

Offline Qrusher14242

• Schnappi Supporter
Ok, i just played the .mpv file i ripped from willy wonka iits just the last 45 mins of the movie?? wtf? i just select the PGC 1 which is 1:39 and rip it and turns out to be 2.8 gigs, but its only 45 mins?? but the audio is from the whole movie. I dont get this dvd at all.

Weird, never seen this before. I used DVD2One to shrink the dvd to fit onto a 4.5gb disk, but i've dont that for all of them. If i cant rip the video, guess i cant watch this rifftrax. Not sure what else to do. Can i demux in any other dvd ripper?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 09:40:10 PM by Qrusher14242 »

• Cake or Death?
Just do everything with rejig. Rip the audio, the subtitles, and the uncompressed m2v video with rejig. Then overlay your riff, then go to rejig dvd author and put everything back together. That should work.