Author Topic: UNOFFICIAL Rifftrax DVD Creating Step-by-Step Guide (Now With Rifftrax Lite)  (Read 208388 times)

Offline Moose

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
  • I'm the wind, baby!
Re: OFFICIAL Rifftrax DVD Creating Step-by-Step Guide (Now With Rifftrax Lite)
« Reply #240 on: February 19, 2007, 04:45:52 AM »
I've found that pretty good Audacity settings (for Battlefield Earth at least) are...

Movie Audio - compressed at around mid level (30, 32 dB) at a ratio of 7.5:1 gives a nice even level (without going too far) and knocked up to +6 on the gain to compensate
Riff  - levels exactly as they come out of the box, so to speak.

It works for me.

Offline jakedietz

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #241 on: February 19, 2007, 08:45:45 AM »
hi everyone, Im having lip sync issues with about 50% of my dvds.  There is no delay in the AC3 file everything seems fine but on Reign of Fire and The fifth Element, after I make an IFO or burn the DVD the audio is around 1 or 2 seconds off the video.  Does anyone know why?

MontyServo

« Reply #242 on: February 23, 2007, 02:05:41 PM »
I've been meaning to post my thanks to you, SecretAgentSuperDragon, for writing up the step by step guide.  Last week, I took a crack at making a re-author DVD of Star Trek 6, and it turned out perfect!  It is so much easier to just be able to pop in the re-authored DVD to watch a Rifftrax!  I'm gonna start working on the back catalog and also do each new release as they come out.

Thanks again for the most excellent guide!

;D

Offline SecretAgentSuperDragon

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 3
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #243 on: February 23, 2007, 02:11:09 PM »
No problem, Monty. I uuse it too, so its no big deal. ;)

Offline stirrell

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #244 on: February 23, 2007, 11:37:19 PM »
Same here, SuperDragon. I have actually been thinking about being "a switcher" (moving from a PC to a Mac) but the ease of re-authoring a Rifftrax DVD has been a factor in my decision :-). Seriously, your guide and Gamma's guide have been very helpful in re-authoring DVDs.

Offline eegah

• Liked: 444
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #245 on: February 24, 2007, 05:11:38 AM »
Ok, I'm sorry for posting three times in a row here.

But the DVD finished and I noticed two problems:
1. The rifftrax is really low and quiet while the movie soundtrack is super loud and blaring.
2. I thought I read in the guide that there would be an option to turn the rifftrax on and off so I could just watch the movie sans Rifftrax, but my DVD doesn't seem to have that option.

But otherwise, it came out ok. It's all snyched up and everything, so thanks very much for this guide.
-Jason

I use audacity for all my dvd's.  When all is synced up and you want to export to wav - on the left of each track is the Gain slider.  I make the movie -3, most the time leave the riff at 0 or maybe +3.  This helps even it out during the loud movie parts.

When I use ffmpeggui instead of PX3Convert to make the decrypter movie audio audacity-friendly, I don't have to mess with the gains at all. It's worked for 3 or 4 DVDs so far.

Offline John Roberts

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Like a trained Ape. Without the training.
« Reply #246 on: February 25, 2007, 05:46:00 AM »
First of all, great guide here.  I managed to learn something from this that I have tried to learn for bloody months.  Or perhaps just ONE month.  A long enduring month. :o 

Anywho!  After going through it all, syncing it together ever so perfectly if I do say so myself (and I do), and then burned the bugger.  The problem I have now -and I apologize if this problem has already been mentioned and solved previously - is that the audio from the movie itself all static-y while the RiffTrax audio is crystal clear.  Have I... missed something, or done something so obviously wrong that it is staring right at my face and laughing?

Offline eegah

• Liked: 444
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #247 on: February 25, 2007, 06:31:39 AM »
First of all, great guide here.  I managed to learn something from this that I have tried to learn for bloody months.  Or perhaps just ONE month.  A long enduring month. :o 

Anywho!  After going through it all, syncing it together ever so perfectly if I do say so myself (and I do), and then burned the bugger.  The problem I have now -and I apologize if this problem has already been mentioned and solved previously - is that the audio from the movie itself all static-y while the RiffTrax audio is crystal clear.  Have I... missed something, or done something so obviously wrong that it is staring right at my face and laughing?

I've had PX3Convert do that to movie files. Somehow, the high volume points would get too high and introduce static. If that's what you are using, try ffmpeggui or something else instead.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 357
« Reply #248 on: February 25, 2007, 08:00:31 AM »
yeah haven't noticed any static myself, I am still using besweet and ffmpeg, which ones are you using?

• Cake or Death?
« Reply #249 on: February 25, 2007, 10:34:07 AM »

Did you have the normalize button checked? Sometimes if it isn't, or if it is amplified, it will come out crackly. Make sure you use the 2 channel audio too, if available. That will get rid of static sounds. Which movie are you trying to do?

Offline John Roberts

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Like a trained Ape. Without the training.
« Reply #250 on: February 26, 2007, 01:38:14 PM »
Well I started it over again from the start.  Not sure what I did wrong the first time, but I DID make sure the normalizer was ticked this time through, and the finished product came out just fine and dandy.  Anywho, thank you for the fast responses. :)

The movie I was making by the way was Firewall.

Offline Trumpy

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #251 on: February 27, 2007, 05:21:17 PM »
Just did my first Rifftrax DVD using the "regular" method and it came out quite well. Thanks for this thread. It even worked on a movie I had to record off a movie channel!

I tried using the Lite method but ran into problems using Rejig. It would get to the end and stop without finishing the job. I had to kill it several times.

Nevermind, though, since the regular method worked so well. I'm tempted to try and unite Dark Side of the Moon and The Wizard of Oz...

• Cake or Death?
« Reply #252 on: February 27, 2007, 07:05:21 PM »
You certainly could do so, although I believe it would be easier to do with windows movie maker. You can download the Echoes/2001 sync here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3191211059169801591&q=dark+side+of+the+moon+oz+duration%3Along

• Cake or Death?
« Reply #253 on: February 27, 2007, 07:07:05 PM »
As far as the whole rejig, ifoedit thing goes., I guess it depends on how your system reacts to either one. Most of the times it seems to be either rejig works and ifoedit doesn't, or vice versa. So if one doesn't work, try the other. That would be my advice to you.

Offline Shinigami

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #254 on: February 27, 2007, 08:05:42 PM »
Muxman is also a good option for authoring.