Author Topic: UNOFFICIAL Rifftrax DVD Creating Step-by-Step Guide (Now With Rifftrax Lite)  (Read 206782 times)

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 845
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
What was the warning? What was issuing the warning?
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
I started to download the software for this and I was getting a warning about one of the files.  Not sure which one now. 

Are there any alternative programs or a new way to do things now?  I was hoping to attempt this with one of my Harry Potter DVDs. 

Alternatives to what?  There are eight different programs involved in the reauthor process.  Maybe one of the download links at the top is out of date?

I have links in my guide.  

Offline quistisffviii

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
McAfee popped up.  I use Avast but when I first got the computer it was McAfee and it still pops up to tell me which sites are safe.  This time it said the file may contain adware, spyware, etc.  I just checked again and it was the Audacity file.  

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
McAfee popped up.  I use Avast but when I first got the computer it was McAfee and it still pops up to tell me which sites are safe.  This time it said the file may contain adware, spyware, etc.  I just checked again and it was the Audacity file.  

Well, you should be able to get Audacity from Sourceforge.

Goldwave does the same thing.  Dunno if it's free.  RVR II uses Pinnacle Studio, but you gotta pay for that.

Offline quistisffviii

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
Oddly, it was a sourceforge link and I usually don't have problems with them. 

I went to the official site and got it through there.  Everything was fine. 
« Last Edit: July 28, 2010, 07:35:03 PM by quistisffviii »

Danecho1967

Re: UNOFFICIAL Rifftrax DVD Creating Step-by-Step Guide (Now With Rifftrax Lite)
« Reply #665 on: September 09, 2010, 10:35:25 AM »
I thought I'd ask here, because I haven't seen anyone else have this issue.

I have re-authored several movies (5 to be exact) and I'm having an issue with Independence Day.

For the first 30 minutes or so, Disembaudio is perfectly synced up, but at 38 minutes in (or a few minutes before) the Rifftrax is about one second early.  I will re-rip the CD and try again from scratch, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue.

I am using the fullscreen edition (mother bought it for me as a gift some years ago, not knowing I'm a widescreen snob), but it is not a special edition with any extra footage.  I watched it on the computer once before without any issues that I remember, but this is my first time re-authoring it.

Anyone ever had similar problems with the tracks going out of sync in the middle of the film?

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4869
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: UNOFFICIAL Rifftrax DVD Creating Step-by-Step Guide (Now With Rifftrax Lite)
« Reply #666 on: September 09, 2010, 10:45:55 AM »
It could just be a burn issue with that particular dvd.. I have issues like this with movies that only fit on double layer discs mostly (very few single layer discs) and I just splice the RiffTrax in my Pinnacle Studio program where the movie 'hangs up' or splice out a rifftrax 'dead spot' to bring the RiffTrax back in sync with the movie - adjust the rifftrax accordingly till it's synced back up, and burn it to dvd once I'm satisfied.. 8)

Danecho1967

« Reply #667 on: September 09, 2010, 11:07:07 AM »
Sounds like I could add some "dead air" to the rifftrack in the right location.  Just a second or so.

Doing this, you have never had the audio get out of sync with the video?

I assume it wouldn't, as long as I only edit the Rifftax, and not the movie audio, but I thought I would ask.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 4869
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #668 on: September 09, 2010, 11:16:02 AM »

Nope..
The way I do it is a bit different from others.. I'll capture the entire movie to my hard drive via Pinnacle Studio, then i'll add the RiffTrax mp3 in the edit part of the program, sync them up using the 1st and last Disembaudio sync lines and if they both line up, I'm good to go, but if they don't, that's where I'll need to find the out of sync spot and make the necessary edit(s) to make in line up and then burn it to a new DVD to watch in 5.1 surround sound.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #669 on: September 09, 2010, 01:22:46 PM »
Sounds like I could add some "dead air" to the rifftrack in the right location.  Just a second or so.

I assume it wouldn't, as long as I only edit the Rifftax, and not the movie audio, but I thought I would ask.

It has happened before.  There are two possible causes:

1) Rejig did it during the demultiplexing step at the beginning.  If you check the box that says "Correct AC3 delay", this might happen.
2) If you cut anything out of or paste anything into the movie audio track (not the Riff Track), it'll cause a delay.

The solution to case number 1 is to add the delay back in during the final authoring phase of Rejig.  The delay is usually around 500 ms, but you'll know for sure what it is if you look at the ripped AC3 file.  It will have a name like "0x80_AC3_Audio_delay500ms_corrected_to_0ms".  That "500 ms" is the delay that was "corrected" via removal.  You need to put it back in.

Danecho1967

« Reply #670 on: September 11, 2010, 09:51:45 PM »
I listened closely for the point where it was obviously out of synch and added a little less than a second of dead air to the rifftrax.  It turned out perfectly.

I am a little dissapointed that my DVD's end up with 2 channel audio, but I definitely prefer to watch reauthored DVD's rather than synching up on the fly.  Autoducking gives it a very professional sound, too.  I can't believe I'm doing all of this with freeware.   :)

Anywho, thanks for the help guys.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1519
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
Well due to the (possible) death of my HP, I'm back to reauthoring on Mac... 

I plan on redoing my guide that was mentioned at the beginning of this thread since thanks to the updates in GarageBand (adding autoducking mainly) it's a heck of alot simpler to sync things.  I just did Jaws 3 in about 5 minutes.  Another upside is that I can start adding stingers back in really easily on the Mac.

Here's the question I have though... Ripping it via Handbrake & importing it into GarageBand will most likely cause a drop in video quality.  That was a problem I had way back at the beginning when Rifftrax first started out.  Not sure if the newer releases of HB or GB will resolve that issue.  In the event that it doesn't, does anyone know of a way I can rip the audio & video on a Mac similar to the way that I had been doing on PC using DVD Decrypter?  Or any other ideas?  I'd like to avoid having to pay for additional software if possible.  I do have Final Cut Express, the latest iLife suite, etc.

**note to self: mention 120bpm issue with Garageband export**
« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 02:28:36 PM by k1 »

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 532
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
Hey k1... I don't have an answer but I do have a question that I think you may be able to answer. Please forgive me if I've asked before but I've done most the work now and plan on authoring by end of this week, and I haven't been able to locate the answer on the forum.  My question is, do you know how to author a dvd using multiple, selectable audio tracks?  I have GarageBand, iMovie, and Final Cut Express.  Is it something I need to do with those or use a different app?  I'm trying to have one for the movie's audio, one for the RiffTrax (+movie, of course), and one for the isolated score.  Thanks.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1519
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
Hey k1... I don't have an answer but I do have a question that I think you may be able to answer. Please forgive me if I've asked before but I've done most the work now and plan on authoring by end of this week, and I haven't been able to locate the answer on the forum.  My question is, do you know how to author a dvd using multiple, selectable audio tracks?  I have GarageBand, iMovie, and Final Cut Express.  Is it something I need to do with those or use a different app?  I'm trying to have one for the movie's audio, one for the RiffTrax (+movie, of course), and one for the isolated score.  Thanks.

Good question.  I was wondering that myself when I was making a dvd of our Burn-E riff.  (I ended up doing 3 separate video files on one DVD because I couldn't figure it out.  1 unriffed, 1 riffed, 1 riffed with our sing-along subtitles.)

I'm pretty confident that iDVD is smart enough to pull it off.  But I would be interested in doing that myself.  Anyone have any ideas?

Offline stansimpson

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 532
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!

Good question.  I was wondering that myself when I was making a dvd of our Burn-E riff.  (I ended up doing 3 separate video files on one DVD because I couldn't figure it out.  1 unriffed, 1 riffed, 1 riffed with our sing-along subtitles.)

I'm pretty confident that iDVD is smart enough to pull it off.  But I would be interested in doing that myself.  Anyone have any ideas?
All the research I've done shows that iDVD won't allow on-the-go switching audio tracks. The only thing I found was DVD Studio (but it costs like $30).

So... anyone have any ideas... that's also free?