login

Author Topic: UNOFFICIAL Rifftrax DVD Creating Step-by-Step Guide (Now With Rifftrax Lite)  (Read 208152 times)

Offline xrampage16

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 0
  • I AM the Burger King!
Re: UNOFFICIAL Rifftrax DVD Creating Step-by-Step Guide (Now With Rifftrax Lite)
« Reply #600 on: December 16, 2008, 10:29:36 AM »
If you use DVD Decrypter, the audio delays are usually posted as part of the file name when you rip the audio stream.

Other programs that you use to demux and remux will handle these delays for you automatically.

but if you use IFOEdit to fix your DVD and remux, then you will manually have to input the delay.

I'd attempt to just use DVD Decrypter, set it to IFO mode, save it out as streams, and select your audio streams.  Should create the AC3 file for you, with the delay built into the name, and you're good to go there.

Hell, you could just start the process, and cancel out, and save the incomplete files. It should have the name right away.

Are there other ways to do it, yep. Do I remember them off the top of my head? Nope... sorry.

Offline Axnollouse

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
  • Behold the better matrix!
    • Flying Monkey Productions
Re: UNOFFICIAL Rifftrax DVD Creating Step-by-Step Guide (Now With Rifftrax Lite)
« Reply #601 on: December 16, 2008, 06:45:19 PM »
Well thanks for the help, I use ReJig and Decrypter for my DVD's and the times aren't posting for those two movies. Today I just rented The Happening from RedBox (maybe it was my DVD i thought) and this is what I ended up getting in my filename via ReJig:

AC3_Audio_0xBD_0x80_Delay_0ms_fixed.ac3
and with my DVD:
AC3_Audio_0xBD_0x80_Delay_0ms_CorrectedTo0ms.ac3

but the fixed one worked! And I was happy.

Then 10 min later i got this with Harry Potter 3 with no settings changed:
AC3_Audio_0xBD_0x80_Delay_-67ms_CorrectedTo0ms.ac3

So I assume it has something to do with my Happening DVD but I guess I have to wait at this point for my rental of The Day After Tomorrow to see if it my disc as well which I would be pissed over being I bought the Steelbook of it for an extra $5.
Axnollouse, the youngest in the skullf*ckery finals, may win the gold."

Offline xrampage16

• Global Moderator
  • I AM the Burger King!
« Reply #602 on: December 17, 2008, 12:51:04 PM »
The happening

0ms delay

Harry Potter
-67 second delay

I don't quite understand the problem now

Well thanks for the help, I use ReJig and Decrypter for my DVD's and the times aren't posting for those two movies. Today I just rented The Happening from RedBox (maybe it was my DVD i thought) and this is what I ended up getting in my filename via ReJig:

and with my DVD:
AC3_Audio_0xBD_0x80_Delay_0ms_CorrectedTo0ms.ac3

but the fixed one worked! And I was happy.

Then 10 min later i got this with Harry Potter 3 with no settings changed:

So I assume it has something to do with my Happening DVD but I guess I have to wait at this point for my rental of The Day After Tomorrow to see if it my disc as well which I would be pissed over being I bought the Steelbook of it for an extra $5.

Offline Axnollouse

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
  • Behold the better matrix!
    • Flying Monkey Productions
« Reply #603 on: December 18, 2008, 03:32:38 PM »
The problem was that there was a delay and the program acted differently for The Happening than it did for Harry Potter 3. It seems to me it auto fixed The Happening and just gave me the delay for Harry Potter 3
Axnollouse, the youngest in the skullf*ckery finals, may win the gold."

Offline stm68

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #604 on: December 24, 2008, 08:37:03 PM »
For those of you interested in putting the riff-track on the rear surround-sound speakers, here's the procedure I used with free software.  I really like this system because you can control the volume of the riff separately using your receiver surround sound settings.

- do steps 1 and 2 in the official guide above (rip DVD files and fix audio track, you should read full official guide to get details on the full process)

- download Audacity 1.3.6 (I got it from audacity.sourceforge.net)

- go to Edit|Preferences, Import/Export tab, download FFmpeg library

- on same tab, in box "When exporting tracks to an audio file", choose "Use custom mix"

- load in fixed AC3 file (from step 2 in official guide), it should load in 6 channels which I believe are: left, center, right, rear-left, rear-right, subwoofer

- import rifftrax mp3 file, should load as track #7

- in Edit|Preferences, Quality tab, set sampling defaults to 48,000 Hz and 16-bit (default for DVD AC3)

- align rifftrax (channel 7) with main audio (channel #2) using time shift, silence sections as desired, copy/paste silent portion to the end (join any splits)

- select entire movie track, all 7 channels, from beginning of DVD audio (the rifftrax will start earlier if you used the time shift method above)

- select File|export selection and choose WAV format

- click OK on the Edit Metadata screen if it appears (there's an option to make it not appear)

- on the Advanced Mixing Options screen, choose 6 channel output and map the tracks (by clicking diagram) as follows:

1st track (left) to channel 1
   2nd track (center) to channel 3
   3rd track (right) to channel 2
   4th track (rear-left) to none
   5th track (rear-right) to none
   6th track (subwoofer) to channel 4
   7th track (riff) to channel 5 and channel 6

* this ordering is necessary because the next step changes the order, and this makes it go back to the original DVD order

- use AftenGui (with aften.exe, I got both from videohelp.com) to encode the 6-channel WAV into 5.1 AC3 (I used all the defaults)

- use the newly created AC3 to make DVD folder with IFOedit or rejig (step 6 in official guide)

- option A: use DVD shrink to make iso file for burning (final step in the official guide)

- option B: use ConvertXToDVD (commercial software) to make DVD file with a menu screen (and shrink to fit on single-sided DVD); then use imgtool.exe to create iso file for burning

Good luck!

Offline netrage

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #605 on: December 25, 2008, 02:14:01 PM »
Transformers

Ok, I've got everything else figured out but my big problem is EVERY time I've tried to put the audio back with the video, it ends up all WAY out of sync and I can't figure out why. I've tried Simple DVD Creator, Muxman, IFOedit. It doesn't seem to matter. When I ripped it from the DVd, there was nothing to indicate there was a delay.

I'm stumped, anyone got any ideas?

Offline iv3rdawG

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 104
  • Mr. K. Dilkington
    • Controlled Obsession
« Reply #606 on: December 30, 2008, 06:57:04 PM »
Just wanted to say thanks for a great guide.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 01:50:56 PM by iv3rdawG »
Controlled Obsession (My website - Movie, TV, Video Games)

Offline elcatch22

• Disembaudio's Squadio
Great guide! Thanks!

I do, however, have a question.  I saw that it was asked on page 6 by Sun:

Ok, I'm a total noob at this.   I DL DVDShrink 3.2 and it's says I need "Nero" in order to burn the movie onto a DVD.  Am I doing something wrong?

But I never saw a response after hunting through the next 7 or so pages or running a search.  This is probably because he stated that the problem solved itself.  It hasn't for me and so any advice would be appreciated.

My problem is that in DVDShrink 3.2 under the tab "Select Backup Target" I can choose "Iso Image File" but not "Iso Image File and burn with DVD Decrypter" as the guide suggests I should select.

What am I missing? 

Offline iv3rdawG

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 104
  • Mr. K. Dilkington
    • Controlled Obsession
As it seems like on the last page I'm having trouble getting Pirates working too. Everything works fine mostly. I'm able to put the Riff and the Audio together, the video extracts fine, etc. up until I have to put the new AC3 riff, the old AC3 audio, the video and the chapters into Rejig and it looks like it does everything fine but when I go into DVDShrink I click on "Open Files", go to the Video_TS file click it and it doesn't do anything. It says the main movie is like 0.46 MB and if I try and click Backup and do the normal ISO Image File and Burn with DVD Decrypter, press OK and it wont do it. Any suggestions? :-\

*edit* Fixed it :)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 08:07:47 PM by iv3rdawG »
Controlled Obsession (My website - Movie, TV, Video Games)

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
Great guide! Thanks!

Ok, I'm a total noob at this.   I DL DVDShrink 3.2 and it's says I need "Nero" in order to burn the movie onto a DVD.  Am I doing something wrong?

But I never saw a response after hunting through the next 7 or so pages or running a search.  This is probably because he stated that the problem solved itself.  It hasn't for me and so any advice would be appreciated.

My problem is that in DVDShrink 3.2 under the tab "Select Backup Target" I can choose "Iso Image File" but not "Iso Image File and burn with DVD Decrypter" as the guide suggests I should select.

What am I missing? 

You'll need to download Nero.  It will burn in DVD Decrypter, sorta.  You'll see the progress bar in DVD Decrypter, but it will still use Nero to burn.  The strange thing is that even after the trial period of Nero expires and you can't launch it any more on its own, DVD Decrypter can still use it to do the burning.

Offline hailxenu

• Blue Beer Drinker
Great guide! Thanks!

What am I missing? 

You'll need to download Nero.  It will burn in DVD Decrypter, sorta.  You'll see the progress bar in DVD Decrypter, but it will still use Nero to burn.  The strange thing is that even after the trial period of Nero expires and you can't launch it any more on its own, DVD Decrypter can still use it to do the burning.

That may not be the case.  I've never had Nero on my current computer, but I haven't had a problem burning with DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter.  Maybe the install of the DVDFab burning engine from an earlier version accomplishes the same thing?

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 36
    • Ortega's Covers
When you make the image file with DVD SHrink, you have the option of either burning with Nero, DVD Decrypter, or just making an image file.  I've been able to go straight from DVD Shrink right into Burn Mode on DVD Decypter without having Nero installed.  Most of the time, i just make an image file first, without burning, load the ISO into one of my virtual drives, and check the quality/see if the subtitles came out OK, then i'll start up DVD Decrypter, and use the ISO Burn Mode.  From my experience, you don't need Nero to burn with DVD Decypter.

Offline xrampage16

• Global Moderator
  • I AM the Burger King!
If you have an ISO of the completed file, just go and download the free version of DVD Decrypter, and burn it onto a DVD using that program. It's free, it's easy, and it works great

Offline Alleged

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 2
    • The Alleged MST3K Site
I've been capturing in analog (and mixing audio, and reauthoring)  for a couple of years now, with no real motivation to join the 21st century  and reauthor using SASD's methods.

The barrier?  I strongly dislike working in Audacity - long load times, just plain bad luck with instability in my particular system.

I can report that if you, for whatever reason, have access to Adobe Premiere, it is more than adequate as an audio mixer.  Yes, I actually captured DVDs in analog, which to my eye is perfectly acceptable for riffing.   PCX seems to convert .ac3 to .wav very nicely, and ffmpeggui goes the opposite direction in a very spiffy fashion. 

I purchased the "Halloween" rifftrax a couple of years ago, and never got around to authoring it (doing everything in analog makes me think long and hard before I take on a video editing project).  I reauthored a disc in a little more than an hour, following SASD venerable (and quite good) directions.

Included in my process:

1.  A two minute "intro" video with the first two minutes of the Rifftrax over the animated Mike .gif - it segues directly into the feature.
2. A separate audio track with Carpenter's commentary.
3.  A  third audio track with the DD 5.1 audio.

I'll still do the analog method - having access to a huge LD collection sometimes gives me a break from having to purchase/rent a DVD - but I'm starting to think I like the digital age better.

All of this in about 1/3 of the time.
Alleged
aka Alleged

Offline xrampage16

• Global Moderator
  • I AM the Burger King!
But it's analog!