Author Topic: UNOFFICIAL Rifftrax DVD Creating Step-by-Step Guide (Now With Rifftrax Lite)  (Read 208382 times)

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 0
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
Re: OFFICIAL Rifftrax DVD Creating Step-by-Step Guide
« Reply #150 on: December 30, 2006, 09:24:23 AM »
I'm having some sort of crazy issue with Audacity.

When I start the program, my computer's audio drops out, and doesn't come back until I restart!!

What's that about??

Offline SecretAgentSuperDragon

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 3
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #151 on: December 30, 2006, 11:44:18 AM »
Could be your computer. I've never heard of anything like that happening. Maybe try uninstalling it and downloading it again.

Otherwise, call your computer's manufacturer.

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #152 on: December 31, 2006, 01:49:08 PM »
I am my computer's manufacturer.   ;)

I'm thinking it's my lousy sound card. It was very cheap, and I've had various audio problems.

• Cake or Death?
« Reply #153 on: December 31, 2006, 04:14:02 PM »
You got a good computer surplus place around? Those places are really nice for picking up what you want at a great price.

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #154 on: December 31, 2006, 04:46:38 PM »
I am my computer's manufacturer.   ;)

I think you should call yourself up and put yourself on hold for hours and hours before you finally come on the line and spend an hour trying to fix the problem via software when it's a hardware issue.  That's what most manufacturers do.

Hey, I'm a Magneto-cent Member now, the magic number must be 250.
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Offline pyro

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #155 on: January 02, 2007, 11:52:42 PM »
Star Trek V has been a pain in my ass for the past week...

I just wrote out a long rant about the process but I decided to just put it in a text file to remind myself how horrible this could end up   :P

short story, spent about a week on and off working with this through many problems ripping, compressing, burning, etc only to finally be able to burn it and have it work perfectly up till 2 minutes left in the film where the sound suddenly goes out  completely :D

Offline PsypherPunk

• Big Montana
    • PsypherPunk
« Reply #156 on: January 03, 2007, 04:09:06 AM »
I'm having some sort of crazy issue with Audacity.

When I start the program, my computer's audio drops out, and doesn't come back until I restart!!

I occasionally get issues like this (either Audacity locks the sound system or it's already "in use" and Audacity can't play sound). In Linux you can just restart the sound system: ('rcalsasound restart' or
'/etc/init.d/alsa restart'). No idea what the equivalent would be in Windows.

Offline BEERxTaco

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 32
  • Does this bug you? I'm not touching you...
    • BEERx
« Reply #157 on: January 04, 2007, 11:15:10 AM »
I guess I'll throw in my method.

I use only 2 programs to make my Rifftrax DVD's, Nero 6 and DVD Decrypter.

First I pay for the DVD and the Rifftrax (I sell the DVD later)
I unzip the Rifftrax to the folder where I keep them.
I decrypt the movie to my hard drive into its own folder.

Next I start Nero 6 and use the program that converts DVD's to mpeg4.  Nero does an excellent job of identifying the main movie title, which is all you really want, filtering out menus, special features, other audio tracks. The program also reprograms the mpeg4 file to fit on a regular sized DVD.  This takes about as long as the movie plays.  I have never had a problem with the audio getting out of sync with the video using this program

Next I go to the "make movie" feature in Nero 6.  I import the unzipped Rifftrax and drop it down into the audio container.  I then play the rifftrax and pause the audio when Mike tells me to.  I then make a segment cut and delete the rifftrax intro. (Don't worry, the original rifftrax remains intact)

I then bring in the mpeg4 movie file and drop it into its container.  Using the grab feature I can adjust the audio rifftrax to sync up perfectly by shifting the audio track back and forth in its container if it is out of sync.  I adjust the movie volume to be just below the Rifftrax volume.  Nero does a good job of equalizing the volume so there are no loud or soft variations after you get the volumes to where you want them.

I then use Nero 6 to add chapters automatically, create a menu screen and then burn the DVD. 

It takes a little over 4 hours to do all this if its a 2 hour movie. I am very pleased with the results

I'm probably getting ahead of myself here (since I don't have a DVD burner in my PC yet lol) but I must say I like the simplicity of this method (except for selling the original DVD, that sounds like too much work lol). Is there anything special required of the DVD Decrypter step or is the method described in the original post by SASD still the proper way to go about it? Anyone have any issues/problems with this method (besides the one that was posted)?

Oh, and I have Nero 7, any thoughts on this changing the process, adding steps or making life in general easier? I have a burner on order as we speak, lol...
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 12:00:38 PM by BEERxTaco »
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"
-Dean Wormer, Animal House R.I.P.

• Cake or Death?
« Reply #158 on: January 04, 2007, 06:01:20 PM »
Well, BeerxTaco, I must say that my guide more or less has a success rate of about 85%. It usually works for everyone, and the dvds I make play in pretty much any player, including the xbox/360.

Sometimes though, due to a computer's hardware and/or software configurations, there will be problems for a couple of people. My suggestion to them is to check out some of the other guides.

As far as the DVD decrypter step goes, and even the guide in general, if you follow it word for word, it will work.

If you are one of the 15% who haven't gotten a proper working dvd, usually just post questions here and somebody should be able to help you. But if it seems to be something unfixable with your hardware or software, then I would suggest reading some other guides.

A friend of mine had a dvd decrypter timecode problem that was messing with his dvd's timecodes, but he tried tmpgenc and its dvd author and it worked good. The only problem in doing it with tmpgenc is that it is not free, while my entire guide shows you how to make the rifftrax dvds using free software that you do not need to pay for or let the trial run out.

Uggh. Now that I'm done rambling, I'll leave it up to you to do what you want. Hope I could help out a little though. ;)

Offline BEERxTaco

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 32
  • Does this bug you? I'm not touching you...
    • BEERx
« Reply #159 on: January 05, 2007, 07:02:56 AM »
Thanks Mr. Super Dragon, and all of you who have posted here... I'm sure I will find some measure of success in some way, somehow, lol. I'm just lazy by nature and am looking forward to the simnplest route possible, at least for a first attempt... ;D
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son"
-Dean Wormer, Animal House R.I.P.

Offline leeving

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Take it from me. I love you!
« Reply #160 on: January 05, 2007, 12:09:01 PM »
it seems we may need a new thread for those that convert to divx/xvid/mp4.  As this one is more for dvd-to-dvd creating.

As for making avi's, i've found it is much harder to do correctly and still get good quality.  dvd-to-dvd conversion is actually much simpler for me to do, and Friends can watch it if they want to borrow them.  I've got a philips 642 so I could play divx if I wanted to, but that conversion process seems to be a little over my head.

• Cake or Death?
« Reply #161 on: January 05, 2007, 01:18:43 PM »
Well if you just want the video on your computer, I suggest using Windows Movie maker. Just rip your bought and paid for dvd onto the hard drive as a divx or mpeg or something (i'm sure www.videohelp.com/tools has something that will do that) then open it up with windows movie maker and import the rifftrax file into the audio section(right under video section), and line it up so that its perfect, then save the entire thing as a wmv. There you go.

Only reason I don't do this is because I find that it takes up a lot of space on my hard drive, and it's just easier to make a $0.25 DVD.

But there you go.

Offline Alleged

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 2
    • The Alleged MST3K Site
« Reply #162 on: January 07, 2007, 05:23:51 PM »
It's not free, but Adobe Premiere simply works wonderfully in a. capturing the movie (I have gobs of laserdiscs/DVDs/VHS tapes and already own 75% of Rifftrax movies) and b. overlaying the Rifftrax audio and c. setting the audio to an appropriate level.

DVD-lab (shareware and reasonably priced) works as a DVD Authoring solution since I usually put the normal soundtrack as an option instead of the Rifftrax'ed soundtrack.
Alleged
aka Alleged

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #163 on: January 07, 2007, 07:12:55 PM »
It's not free, but Adobe Premiere simply works wonderfully in a. capturing the movie (I have gobs of laserdiscs/DVDs/VHS tapes and already own 75% of Rifftrax movies) and b. overlaying the Rifftrax audio and c. setting the audio to an appropriate level.

DVD-lab (shareware and reasonably priced) works as a DVD Authoring solution since I usually put the normal soundtrack as an option instead of the Rifftrax'ed soundtrack.

Ideally if you want to sustain quality, you shouldn't capture from a DVD. Ripping it is the best method, play with the audio only (mixing), then mux the audio back to the original video and re-author. If the final re-author is bigger then 4.35 GB, then either burn to a dual layer DVD or use DVD shrink to make it fit to a single layer DVD.

Offline Grillslinger

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
    • Grillslinger's Creations
« Reply #164 on: January 08, 2007, 11:24:15 AM »
Here's a question. I some movies (especially matrix and LOTR), the audio goes waaaaay up in places and the riffers are overpowered. Would it help to use the stereo track instead of the 5.1 track wen making the DVD?