Author Topic: UNOFFICIAL Rifftrax DVD Creating Step-by-Step Guide (Now With Rifftrax Lite)  (Read 208387 times)

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
You broke it.
On timeout

Offline CHF01

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 61
In ReJig, there is a PGC setting under the Copy Subtitle Colors option. This setting defaults to 0. When mutiplexing DVD VOBs, should this setting not be changed at all? I've scanned the multiple threads about DVD re-authoring and have not seen anything about this setting. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 36
    • Ortega's Covers
yeah leave it alone.  Your best bet is to fix the subtitle color in IFO edit.  i might be repeating myself, but i'll do it anyway. 

1. Reauthor the DVD with the subtitles.

2. Load up IFO edit, and at the bottom, click the open tab, and chose the IFO of the ripped DVD.

3. You'll see a bunch of information on the DVD come up, but what you want to look for is at the top, and  click on VTS_PGCITI, which will open up a bunch of PGCs.  We only need one, so pick PGC 1.

4. at the top of the screen you'll see a tab that says Subtitle Color. Witht he PGC 1 highlighted clcik on it and click Copy Colors from this PGC.

5. Now clcik on the open tab again but this time, open the IFO of the reauthored DVD.  No repeat the steps, VTS_PGCITI, to PGC1, and goto the  Subtitle Color tab again, but this time, PASTE the colors.

Now click on the  Get VTS sectors tab, and after that, click save.

That should make sure the subtitle colors are the same as the real DVD's.

Hope that helped.

Offline CHF01

• Big Montana
It does, Ortega, thanks. What's with the prompts in IfoEdit to capitalize the file names?  ::)

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Ortega's Covers
What's with the prompts in IfoEdit to capitalize the file names?  ::)

Don't know.  I think its a German program, and you know how those Germans are......

Offline ltmarcos

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
Thank you so much for posting this I had been looking for a way to do this

Offline ltmarcos

• Disembaudio's Squadio
I dont know about Menus, but you can keep the intro on the disc.

When you are synching with GW or Audacity, Before you cut the intro, copy it, and paste into a new project, then save as mp3.

Load the mp3 into Windows Movie Maker.

Drag the mp3 into the timeline, add a begginning credit scroll, and i usually load one of JP's posters into the time line as well.

Save the project as DV-AVI.

Take the created video file, adn load it into Nero Or Roxio or any burn program, and save to a dvd folder.

Then in DVDshrink, click the reauthor tab, and make the intro the fitst title, then the Riff'd movie as the second.

I tried this but all i get is the picture with no audio the only difference is I can't seem to figure out how to save as dv-avi and also i burn it in nero not dvd shrink

Offline Lemming Howard

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 178
  • God rest you Brother.
I dont know about Menus, but you can keep the intro on the disc.

When you are synching with GW or Audacity, Before you cut the intro, copy it, and paste into a new project, then save as mp3.

Load the mp3 into Windows Movie Maker.

Drag the mp3 into the timeline, add a begginning credit scroll, and i usually load one of JP's posters into the time line as well.

Save the project as DV-AVI.

Take the created video file, adn load it into Nero Or Roxio or any burn program, and save to a dvd folder.

Then in DVDshrink, click the reauthor tab, and make the intro the fitst title, then the Riff'd movie as the second.

I tried this but all i get is the picture with no audio the only difference is I can't seem to figure out how to save as dv-avi and also i burn it in nero not dvd shrink

If you're using Nero you can create menus with Nerovision.    You add a poster as I like to do and it also lets you customize by selecting an audio file such as the saved intro.  Just be sure to click "Fit to adio duration to play the whole intro.
And I'm worse than Hitler.

Offline Turducken

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 7
  • Move. Run. Go.
wow this is no sunday picnic, wondering if it's worth it... .a few random thoughts here

I haven't had the time to read all the posts but wondering if anyone has found a method for including the rifftrax intros, i quite enjoy those....

these programs all seem like smaller pieces of a larger one.. is anyone using something like adobe premiere or final cut to ease some of these steps?

alot of dvd's i already backed up to a 'rifftrax' drive and are in ifo and vob files... is there any step i can skip by just using those instead of my dvd?

Seems like the audacity part is the least spoken about in the main guide on first page... and definitely took some time to figure out it's retarded controls...  plus the idea of having to grab dead air from a commentary seems backwards, ... can't you just slide something over to create silence like in normal editing programs...

arghh, matrix is my first try, almost done i 'll let you know how it went

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2517
    • Ronin Fox Trax
wow this is no sunday picnic, wondering if it's worth it... .a few random thoughts here

I haven't had the time to read all the posts but wondering if anyone has found a method for including the rifftrax intros, i quite enjoy those....

I picked up from a few other people the idea of making a slideshow type thing with Windows Movie Maker using the audio from the intros.  Then you can save them, use a burning program like Roxio or Nero to make an IFO of them, then reauthor from there, in the end putting it on the disc in DVD shrink before the main movie so they'll play in order.

these programs all seem like smaller pieces of a larger one.. is anyone using something like adobe premiere or final cut to ease some of these steps?

That one I don't know about.

alot of dvd's i already backed up to a 'rifftrax' drive and are in ifo and vob files... is there any step i can skip by just using those instead of my dvd?

If you have a virtual drive program, you can mount an ifo to it and decript it just like it was the physical dvd.

Seems like the audacity part is the least spoken about in the main guide on first page... and definitely took some time to figure out it's retarded controls...  plus the idea of having to grab dead air from a commentary seems backwards, ... can't you just slide something over to create silence like in normal editing programs...

Yes, you can just slide the Rifftrax over using the double sided arrow control ( <--> ) on the toolbar.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • Ortega's Covers

I think the reason all of those little programs were chosen, was because with all the tools mentioned, everyone of them is freeware.  You probably might be able to accomplish all the tasks in one huge program, but more often than not, that type of program isn't cheap.

Offline Turducken

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 7
  • Move. Run. Go.
wow thank you for the comprehensive response... still bogged down in getting the audio ready for full authoring, .. i saw it's size so small and figured it must be wrong...

Tried raising the bitrate, used that, but screwed up by not giving directory path, and thought i messed up by changing size, so now back to regular bitrate and ifo edit is outputting now lol.... we'll see if it works

****Was having major problems in Audacity trying to deal with sectioning off pieces of audio to raise or lower volume, idk if i'm used to higher end programs or what (haha i'm an editing elitist!) , but nothing i was doing seemed to work.   Wanted to be able to highlight certain sections and just raise/lower volume.  Nothing left any markers or such of my actions, so ... idk... this program doesn't like my brain.

Ortega - yeah i have adobe elements installed, but having used full premiere before, it sux... i hate when they make things so user friendly that i can't find any tools anymore

edit* - great now ifoedit just couldn't find a vob file that i dont' even think was in the list... maybe adding chapters killed me

edit#2* - using rejig now with same files and suddenly working,... possibly i forgot the ntsc pal switch

edit#3*- so it worked, thx guys ... my only issues now are fine tuning the audio in certain points

edit#4* - omg, i just realized this whole thread is just preparation for the coming apocalypse where we all end up editing audio for rifftrax! damn you ! you did it, didn't you!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 07:41:45 PM by therealribbit »

Offline hailxenu

• Blue Beer Drinker
I need to offer some payback for all those DVD covers and inkjet labels I've been printing (Epson R280 is highly recommended for printing on DVDs).

To re-author a DVD that includes a rifftrax audio file but otherwise exactly replicates the original DVD structure, including menus, audio files (if there is an extra audio file that can be replaced), and subtitles, you will need the following software:

PGCDemux  (http://download.videohelp.com/jsoto/tools/PgcDemux_1205_exe.zip)
IFOEdit  (http://download.videohelp.com/download/Ifoedit0971.zip)
VobBlanker  (http://download.videohelp.com/jsoto/VobBlanker/VobBlanker_2130_exe.zip)
DVDShrink  (http://www.mrbass.org/dvdshrink/dvdshrink32setup.zip
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 06:34:56 PM by hailxenu »

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2517
    • Ronin Fox Trax
I don't think I've seen anyone else offer such a method, hail, and I think it would be much appreciated.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline CHF01

• Big Montana
I'm going to try this out with Over The Top and report back the results. Thanks hailxenu.