login

Author Topic: UNOFFICIAL Rifftrax DVD Creating Step-by-Step Guide (Now With Rifftrax Lite)  (Read 208500 times)

Offline Dr Z

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
Re: OFFICIAL Rifftrax DVD Creating Step-by-Step Guide
« Reply #105 on: November 19, 2006, 12:32:41 PM »
I guess I'll throw in my method.

I use only 2 programs to make my Rifftrax DVD's, Nero 6 and DVD Decrypter.

First I pay for the DVD and the Rifftrax (I sell the DVD later)
I unzip the Rifftrax to the folder where I keep them.
I decrypt the movie to my hard drive into its own folder.

Next I start Nero 6 and use the program that converts DVD's to mpeg4.  Nero does an excellent job of identifying the main movie title, which is all you really want, filtering out menus, special features, other audio tracks. The program also reprograms the mpeg4 file to fit on a regular sized DVD.  This takes about as long as the movie plays.  I have never had a problem with the audio getting out of sync with the video using this program

Next I go to the "make movie" feature in Nero 6.  I import the unzipped Rifftrax and drop it down into the audio container.  I then play the rifftrax and pause the audio when Mike tells me to.  I then make a segment cut and delete the rifftrax intro. (Don't worry, the original rifftrax remains intact)

I then bring in the mpeg4 movie file and drop it into its container.  Using the grab feature I can adjust the audio rifftrax to sync up perfectly by shifting the audio track back and forth in its container if it is out of sync.  I adjust the movie volume to be just below the Rifftrax volume.  Nero does a good job of equalizing the volume so there are no loud or soft variations after you get the volumes to where you want them.

I then use Nero 6 to add chapters automatically, create a menu screen and then burn the DVD. 

It takes a little over 4 hours to do all this if its a 2 hour movie. I am very pleased with the results

Kudos for a job well done! I followed the directions above and it worked like a charm!

Offline SecretAgentSuperDragon

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 3
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #106 on: November 19, 2006, 12:57:52 PM »

Next I start Nero 6 and use the program that converts DVD's to mpeg4.  Nero does an excellent job of identifying the main movie title, which is all you really want, filtering out menus, special features, other audio tracks. The program also reprograms the mpeg4 file to fit on a regular sized DVD.  This takes about as long as the movie plays.  I have never had a problem with the audio getting out of sync with the video using this program

Next I go to the "make movie" feature in Nero 6.  I import the unzipped Rifftrax and drop it down into the audio container.  I then play the rifftrax and pause the audio when Mike tells me to.  I then make a segment cut and delete the rifftrax intro. (Don't worry, the original rifftrax remains intact)

I then bring in the mpeg4 movie file and drop it into its container.  Using the grab feature I can adjust the audio rifftrax to sync up perfectly by shifting the audio track back and forth in its container if it is out of sync.  I adjust the movie volume to be just below the Rifftrax volume.  Nero does a good job of equalizing the volume so there are no loud or soft variations after you get the volumes to where you want them.

I then use Nero 6 to add chapters automatically, create a menu screen and then burn the DVD. 

It takes a little over 4 hours to do all this if its a 2 hour movie. I am very pleased with the results
Kudos for a job well done! I followed the directions above and it worked like a charm!

So you used "your own" method and it worked like a charm "for you?"
Call me weird but I find it odd to register another account with the same name as your current profile
in order to give yourself praise for something you posted. This should actually be taken over into the
rifftrax setups post.

Hank

« Reply #107 on: November 19, 2006, 06:12:16 PM »

That's exactly the reason why they don't let you return software and movies to retailers.

Just keep the dang DVD to make it legit.

Offline Dr Z

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #108 on: November 19, 2006, 08:13:22 PM »

Call me weird but I find it odd to register another account with the same name as your current profile
in order to give yourself praise for something you posted. This should actually be taken over into the
rifftrax setups post.

Check with the mods, genius. They can tell you we aren't one in the same person. Take a look around and you'll find plenty of users who share variations of the same beloved MSTK inspired names. We are two different Dr. Z's.

I am Dr Z.

The other account ,for the user who came up with the formula I was congratulating him for, is Doctor Z. I take no credit for Doctor Z's formula.

Why on earth would anyone use two seperate accounts to toot his own horn in a forum discussion like this? ::)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2006, 10:25:12 PM by Dr Z »

Hank

« Reply #109 on: November 20, 2006, 06:55:25 AM »
Stranger things have happened, Dr Z.

And, by no connection, I shall only praise other members with som variation of Hank  ;)

• Cake or Death?
« Reply #110 on: November 20, 2006, 02:20:05 PM »

rifftrax setups post.

Check with the mods, genius. They can tell you we aren't one in the same person. Take a look around and you'll find plenty of users who share variations of the same beloved MSTK inspired names. We are two different Dr. Z's.

I am Dr Z.

The other account ,for the user who came up with the formula I was congratulating him for, is Doctor Z. I take no credit for Doctor Z's formula.

Why on earth would anyone use two seperate accounts to toot his own horn in a forum discussion like this? ::)

Sorry. Didn't realize Dr. Z was that common and desired of a name.

Offline Dr Z

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #111 on: November 20, 2006, 08:20:33 PM »

rifftrax setups post.

I am Dr Z.

:P

Don't you know? It's the hot new name parents are clamoring to name their newborns with!

• Cake or Death?
« Reply #112 on: November 20, 2006, 09:25:34 PM »
I prefer Racer X for boys and Agent 99 for girls. ::)

Offline eegah

• Liked: 444
    • My MST3K Movie Poster Collection
« Reply #113 on: November 22, 2006, 10:56:42 AM »

When I try to use Nero Recode, I can't add the audio file. Am I not supposed to demux in DVDDecrypter? Or do I re-add the audio in Nero Vision Express?

Update: I recoded the video file but Nero didn't like the mp4 file. I'm officially frustrated. :(
« Last Edit: November 22, 2006, 03:50:53 PM by eegah »

• Cake or Death?
« Reply #114 on: November 22, 2006, 04:38:49 PM »
Just follow the original guide man, and you should be good.

Offline eegah

« Reply #115 on: November 22, 2006, 08:36:53 PM »
Just follow the original guide man, and you should be good.

I just got through trying it, and it ALMOST worked. The problem is that if I use any of the location controls on my DVD player (fast forward, chapter forward, etc.), the video will only last a few seconds before freezing.

Any ideas?

Also, I had lowered the gain on the rifftrax audio track before combining it with the movie audio. Based on my results, I'm guessing that you don't want to do that. Is there a particularly good setting, or should I just leave it alone? If I don't convert the rifftrax to WAV format (as someone else mentioned), will there be any issues (or different recommended gain settings)?

Thanks for your help!

• Cake or Death?
« Reply #116 on: November 22, 2006, 10:41:29 PM »
Actually, It would be fine to mix the mp3 rifftrax and wav movie audio file together in audacity. I have had no problem before. Also, with audacity, I usually go to the loud/action parts of the movie and compare that audio with the audio of the rifftrax. If I can't here the rifftrax, I either amplify the riff, deamplify the movie audio section, or a combo of both. I did a lot of it in LOTR, but it was worth it in the end. If you are having troubles with the DVD Decrypter timecode (that is if when you go to shrink it with dvd decrypter, it shows incorrect time), then try using a free program called tmpgenc 2.5. You can select your decrypted audio file and video file, mix them together, and it will create a correct timed mpeg for you. Then just find some mpeg dvd authoring software to burn it and you'll be good to go.
Hope that helps.

Offline Winterkid

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #117 on: November 23, 2006, 01:08:12 AM »
Guess if I decide to have kids, Cristopher Roy isn't such a great name after all.  "HONEY, I got a GREAT idea for the baby!"

I have to buy a DVD-RW and do this one of these days.

Offline DoctorZ

• Schnappi Supporter
  • It may stop, but it never ends.
« Reply #118 on: November 23, 2006, 02:20:58 AM »

rifftrax setups post.

I am Dr Z.

:P

Don't you know? It's the hot new name parents are clamoring to name their newborns with!

(snort)  :)Yes, it's a name that is sweeping the country!  For the record I am not Dr. Z. (I am not narcissic or scitzoid enough to have two identities so I can praise myself.)  I don't really know any of you folks so what would be the point of trying to impress you all with my pathetic and meager computer skills?  While we are at this I am also not the California Doctor Z of TikiCentral and mixology fame.  I am the Florida Doctor Z since I live nearby most of the shooting locations of "The Blood Waters of Doctor Z" or "ZAAT" as it's known around here.  I also had nothing to do with the other Doctor Z movie, "The Diabolical Doctor Z."  I am not into wierd French body modification films. I hope this clears the air.  ;)
" A woman who takes her husband about with her everywhere is like a cat that goes on playing with a mouse long after she's killed it." SAKI

Offline eegah

« Reply #119 on: November 23, 2006, 05:27:54 AM »
If you are having troubles with the DVD Decrypter timecode (that is if when you go to shrink it with dvd decrypter, it shows incorrect time), then try using a free program called tmpgenc 2.5. You can select your decrypted audio file and video file, mix them together, and it will create a correct timed mpeg for you. Then just find some mpeg dvd authoring software to burn it and you'll be good to go.
Hope that helps.

Do you think that's the culprit for my video freezing problem? I mean, the movie looks and sounds great and is sync'd perfectly and I can pause and restart until the cows come home, but any "shuffling" or chapter skipping and it's curtains after a few seconds. I didn't notice the time in dvd decrypter, so I guess I'll try to re-burn and see.

Thanks.