login

Author Topic: UNOFFICIAL Rifftrax DVD Creating Step-by-Step Guide (Now With Rifftrax Lite)  (Read 208092 times)

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2517
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: UNOFFICIAL Rifftrax DVD Creating Step-by-Step Guide (Now With Rifftrax Lite)
« Reply #450 on: December 23, 2007, 04:12:20 AM »
That would work, but you'd lose the rear channel sounds, so it would be a stereo track with just the riff in the back.  with the Goldwave plug-in, you can actually mix the riff in with the rear channel sounds, so you won't actually lose any sound.  Plus, with the plug-in, it automatically lowers all the movie for the riffs, and brings it back up again.   A lot better than messing around with levels for the whole movie. 

That actually sounds like a decent effect.  It'd be like having the riffers in the back of the room while talking back to the movie in front.

Now you you wanted to go really nuts with it, then you'd get it so Kevin would just come from the rear left speaker, Bill through the rear right, and Mike on both to be centered.   ;D
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
Re: UNOFFICIAL Rifftrax DVD Creating Step-by-Step Guide (Now With Rifftrax Lite)
« Reply #451 on: December 23, 2007, 05:36:33 AM »
That would work, but you'd lose the rear channel sounds, so it would be a stereo track with just the riff in the back.  with the Goldwave plug-in, you can actually mix the riff in with the rear channel sounds, so you won't actually lose any sound.  Plus, with the plug-in, it automatically lowers all the movie for the riffs, and brings it back up again.   A lot better than messing around with levels for the whole movie. 

That actually sounds like a decent effect.  It'd be like having the riffers in the back of the room while talking back to the movie in front.

Now you you wanted to go really nuts with it, then you'd get it so Kevin would just come from the rear left speaker, Bill through the rear right, and Mike on both to be centered.   ;D

If you set it up like that your either going to (1) impress friends very much (2) scare friends away because your heightened nerd status
On timeout

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #452 on: December 23, 2007, 05:39:13 AM »
With the friends I have they'd either

1. not really notice

or

2. just call me a geek and move on

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Bairman

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #453 on: December 23, 2007, 06:13:45 AM »

It's extremely awesome.  I was determined to do it from the very beginning with my first reauthor, and it took me about a month of spare time to figure everything out and get it all working correctly, but the result has been amazing.  I have a 7.1 system and the riffers completely envelop me in the four rear speakers.  The only way it could be any better would be to have the riffers split into separate channels, but with the RiffTrax MP3 being mono and the riffers sometimes overlapping one another, it would be next to impossible to do.

Putting the RiffTrax in the rear channels also helps with the disorientation some people have felt about not seeing the riffer's silhouettes on the screen.  Since they sound like they're sitting behind you, you don't *expect* to see them on the screen.

I'm planning an overhaul of my guide sometime early next year.  In addition to some updates, I've also found a way to create pseudo-surround sound from two channel audio sources which comes in handy for DVDs that don't have a 5.1 audio track (e.g. Road House).  It's not as good as true 5.1 audio, but it's better than plain old stereo.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 06:15:51 AM by Bairman »

Offline Bairman

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #454 on: December 23, 2007, 06:29:18 AM »
Now personally, I like to use Audacity to sync the rifftrax to the movie audio, and then close out the movie audio, then export the modified rifftrax separate, so you dont have to sync in Goldwave...which is a major pain in the ass.  What's even better, for some reason, if you sync the riff in audacity, you dont have to worry about the delay problem with the GW plug-in.

Syncing in Goldwave isn't all that difficult... just time consuming... especially when doing 5.1 audio.  I rarely have to insert or delete any audio in the RiffTrax file.  More often than not when the sync lines don't match the movie perfectly, it's because DisembAudio is off the mark a little bit, but it doesn't affect the timing of the riffs.  My guess is that the riff track and DisembAudio's sync lines are recorded separately and then merged into the final MP3 file, which means that the riffs can be perfectly in sync with the movie, but DA's sync lines might be off by a bit.  I've learned never to assume that DA is always 100% accurate.

Offline Krendall

• Disembaudio's Squadio
TIP USING AUDACITY!

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, but I haven't had time to read the whole topic.

Rather than trying to add or delete blank sound from the RiffTrax .mp3 in Audacity, there's a much easier way to synch the audio. In the upper-left section of the program is a button than looks like two arrows pointing left and right. Click it. This will allow you to drag the entire audio section until it's synched up where you want it. I've used this method for both Spider-Man and Star Wars I and the audio for both was synched PERFECTLY.

BTW, hi. :-[

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
I thought that was exactly what has always been suggested...at least that's what I've always done.

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Krendall

• Disembaudio's Squadio
I thought that was exactly what has always been suggested...at least that's what I've always done.
The guide in the first post says to add blank audio until the two files are synched. *shrug*

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
I guess I missed that for the better then

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline sonofblaine

• Disembaudio's Squadio
New to all this.  THANKS ALOT!

I originally was doing it in a roundabout way that wasted a DVDR each time and had ALOT of bugs.  BUT I was afraid of all these instructions and my general bad luck.  But I took a chance and found it pretty easy and better than what I was doing!  I was using Nero in the equasion and the only thing I miss is having a fancy pants Menu with Rifftrax art on it.  But I'm sure with a little modification, I can learn to do that.

Again, thanks alot!

EDIT:

Ok I went through alot of trials. 

I tried the first "Lite" idea posted on the opening post.  I liked it but when I watched "Over the Top" (the film I picked to try first), I found the audio lagging a few seconds.  Enough to make it looked badly dubbed.  It was probably the ac3 delay issue.

Then, I used the longer method and worked fine.  The pros to both of these are how I can mess with and edit the sound files, getting them just right, removing Dis, etc.  The cons are that I missed the cool Menus I made for my others when I was doing it with Nero only.  Also, I just couldn't get the Chapters working.

Finally, I went ahead on and get my SecretAgentSuperdragon method on my Nero... and my Nero on my SASD Method!  Two good things that go great together!!

I follow the longer method up to the last part, and instead of burning it all with DVD Shrink, I take it in Nero, use THAT to make my chapters, a menu (using the Rifftrax.com art for each movie as the background) and taking a tip from a guy I read on this thread, I'm editing the opening "Host segments" up to play over my Menu.  :D  This are really looking up.

Nero takes ALOT longer to create, but I think it's a decent Tradeoff for the all around package.

Thanks again for this thread.  It rocks.  I am now ready to fill up the back end of my huge MST3K DVD Binder with Rifftrax DVDs.  I weep with joy.

I'm in the burning stage of my first try doing it with Nero the way I mentioned above.  Knowing my luck, I'm posting this too early and something will happen and it won't work.  -_-

EDIT AGAIN:

Worked.  Awesome.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2008, 05:24:37 PM by sonofblaine »

Offline Jazzman99

• Blue Beer Drinker
I know virtually nothing about video or audio editing--well, let me amend that. I know nothing about video or audio editing, or dvd authoring, or virtually anything else related to the various techniques needed to accomplish this wonderful feat. However, I do have a burning desire to make my own Rifftrax DVDs using the guides I've been reading for the past few days, here and on other boards.

Now, here's the good news: I will be, within the next couple of months, upgrading to a spanking new desktop computer to replace my current one. So, a question: if you were buying a computer with the Rifftrax DVD project as one of your specific goals in mind, is there anything special you would look for? Obviously a DVD burner is tops on the list (my current computer doesn't have one), but what else in terms of specs, equipment, etc? How can I make this as easy as possible on myself?

It seems like there are a lot of people doing this, and that makes it seem odd to me that no programming whiz out there has put together a single program that combines all the functions of the various programs needed at different steps of the process. Just put in the DVD, download the rifftrax, and click a couple of buttons. Shouldn't such a thing be possible?
Read my crime novel FIVE MILLION DOLLARS AND THE GREEN-EYED GIRL on Kindle: http://tinyurl.com/4y5jmem

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
I know virtually nothing about video or audio editing--well, let me amend that. I know nothing about video or audio editing, or dvd authoring, or virtually anything else related to the various techniques needed to accomplish this wonderful feat. However, I do have a burning desire to make my own Rifftrax DVDs using the guides I've been reading for the past few days, here and on other boards.

Now, here's the good news: I will be, within the next couple of months, upgrading to a spanking new desktop computer to replace my current one. So, a question: if you were buying a computer with the Rifftrax DVD project as one of your specific goals in mind, is there anything special you would look for? Obviously a DVD burner is tops on the list (my current computer doesn't have one), but what else in terms of specs, equipment, etc? How can I make this as easy as possible on myself?

It seems like there are a lot of people doing this, and that makes it seem odd to me that no programming whiz out there has put together a single program that combines all the functions of the various programs needed at different steps of the process. Just put in the DVD, download the rifftrax, and click a couple of buttons. Shouldn't such a thing be possible?

Yeah, get a dvd burner (preferably one that can burn dual layer discs for optimum video quality), at least a 100 GB hard-drive, 1 Ghz or faster processor (the faster the processor, the faster the job gets done), and probably a large external hard-drive or second internal drive.

Somebody could create a program that you are talking about, but it would be illegal. 
On timeout

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 36
    • Ortega's Covers
there probably are some programs that are a quick, do-it-all solution, but those programs tend to be the ones you have to pay for.  The great thing about this guide is that all the programs are freeware.  And as far as specs go, as long as you can run Xp or Vista, you should be set. I would suggest at least a 2Ghz processor, and at least 1 GB of RAM, and i suggest getting a auxilary Hard Drive, as the saving and creating of new files can slow down the process if its all going in the C: Drive.

Offline GroovyDave

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • "Trust me, I work for the Government."
I'd like to thank SecretAgentSuperDragon for this outstanding guide to creating a Rifftrax. The Lite version has been working fantastically well for me and I'm delighted to be able to compile these myself. The Rifftrax player is nice but I have a different goal in mind -- DIVX encoded AVI files as the final output of the process. This is so I can queue up a few Riffs at a time in media player and let them play while roaming about the house. The guide works great for this and the only modification at the end is to use the DIVX converter to process the resulting DVD files.

if you were buying a computer with the Rifftrax DVD project as one of your specific goals in mind, is there anything special you would look for? Obviously a DVD burner is tops on the list (my current computer doesn't have one), but what else in terms of specs, equipment, etc? How can I make this as easy as possible on myself?
Essentially you are building a video and audio editing workstation so the more powerful hardware you have to perform that task the better. Happily, this will also work fine for games and everything else you do. I'd highly recommend you look into the following parts:
- Intel dual-core processors (like the Intel Core Duo 2)
- 2 Gigabytes of RAM minimum
- Huge SATA hard drive (500GB Seagates are reasonably priced)
- Windows XP is my preferred operating system, but Vista does have some advantages at this point

The fast processor will make the computation part of rendering video go by much more quickly. When multiplexing or demultiplexing video and audio streams, having a fast PC will make that more pleasant. Also, not having to worry about space as you make these files is also a real joy.

I'm not giving specific recommendations for audio or video components because I assume you will be burning these to DVD's and in that case the onboard audio that comes on most motherboards will be sufficient. For video, if you are going to play games then you may want to consider either ATI or nVidia graphics cards. Even if not, a decent video card will make using Vista much more pleasant as you'll get all the goofy disco effects that Vista supports with its Aero interface.

Thanks again to all the comments from other people, seeing how other folks solve the problem of getting rifftrax built has been very instructive.

Offline Insert Coin(s) to Continue

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
    • Insert Coin(s) to Continue
« Reply #464 on: February 06, 2008, 10:09:52 PM »
I'm working on creating my own commentary for Gamera: Guardian of the Universe. I have recorded, and I'm trying to rip the DVD, but I'm running into trouble. I've followed the guide before and it's worked fine for me twice (for Nestor the Long-Eared Christmas Donkey and The Lincoln Project), but this time things are going poorly. Everything seemed alright, but when I tried importing the files into Premiere (long story. Just trust that it usually works) the audio and video are WAAAAAAY off. One is going faster than the other (I'm pretty sure it's the video). Is there any setting I may have accidentally activated that caused this to happen?

My Gamera DVD is Region 1 NTSC. I can't find any note of original framerate, but I'm assuming it's the standard 29.97.