Author Topic: UNOFFICIAL Rifftrax DVD Creating Step-by-Step Guide (Now With Rifftrax Lite)  (Read 208448 times)

Offline SecretAgentSuperDragon

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 3
  • Cake or Death?
No problem guys. I feel like making an amendment to the main post as far as the wav converting is concerned. As far as PX3Convert is concerned, it is very simple to use, but may not always produce the result you want as ffar as hi parts and low parts go in the movie.

Something a little more advance that I like to use is Belight audio converter. It's hard to know how to set it up, because you have to download besweet, then you have to download the belight GUI and extract it into precisely the right folder. But after that basic part is done, it goes pretty easy.

Basically, when I convert to wav with that, it makes sure all the audio stays around a certain decibel level with no high parts. I've been using them for the past 10 or so rifftrax, and they've been a snap to put together. All I really do is convert the movies audio, stick the audio and rifftrax into audactity, raise the rifftrax audio level to +3 db, match up the sync lines and export. You can hear the riff perfectly, and you can also hear the movie audio really well too, but I find it helps to author with subtitles so you can understand the riffs during the more quiet parts of the movie's cruddy dialogue.

But if you feel like you could handle something more advance than PX3Convert, go ahead and get belight and besweet. They're both free, and just follow the instructions on how to use them. Be sure Dynamic compression is normal, and check its box.
 :)

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 36
    • Ortega's Covers
yeah, i made the switch to belight, plus it can convert back to AC3 too. ;D

Offline SharpMonkey

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
  • (see: pointed simian)
I like the idea of less intensive audio editing, so I've decided to give the BeLight method a try for my next Rifftrax project.  :)

just follow the instructions on how to use them. Be sure Dynamic compression is normal, and check its box.

Is there anything I need to do in the BeLight interface other than that?  Is it as simple as load in the .AC3, select the tab marked WAV and press the "Start Processing" button?  Here's what the settings look like for me: 

Offline Ortega

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 36
    • Ortega's Covers
just prest the green button, and BAM!, wav file.

after you're done mixing, load the finished wav file, and check the Ac3 tab, and BAM!, your final ac3 file, no ffmpeg necessary....

BAM!

Offline SharpMonkey

• Sparkles in Sunlight
Right on.  Thanks for the info.  Take it easy on the spice-weasel, though!  ;D

• Cake or Death?
Actually check Boost Mode: LigH as well. Then, yeah, that's pretty much all.

• Cake or Death?
Guide now modified for Belight instructions.

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
just prest the green button, and BAM!, wav file.

after you're done mixing, load the finished wav file, and check the Ac3 tab, and BAM!, your final ac3 file, no ffmpeg necessary....

BAM!
Right on.  Thanks for the info.  Take it easy on the spice-weasel, though!  ;D

Nice  :D

Offline SharpMonkey

• Sparkles in Sunlight
Thanks for adding the BeLight info, SuperDragon.  This guide just gets better and better. 

I've been having trouble finding a reliable method for extracting subtitles that can be successfully authored with IFOedit.  There are scattered references to subtitles in the forums, but the ones I found call for authoring with DVDlab pro or something called Muxman.  I'm getting pretty comfortable with the SuperDragon method, so I guess what I'm really asking for is advice on how to conquer subs without deviating from this guide too much.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 357
Ugh subs, yes I still haven't got these down, was going to redo xXx and that has a little, might be a good test case.

• Cake or Death?
Usually, if you run your audio/video extracting through Rejig, you can extract the subtitles in the Rejig friendly & IFOedit friendly .sup format. But sometimes, rejig can be a little unreliable for that. Take for instance Star Trek Generations. I tried to rip the subs using rejig, but they were about 30 seconds off from the audio cues. So if rejig doesn't work, I usually use PGC_Demux and extract the english sup subtitles from there. Usually there will be 2 choices for english subtitles. 1 of them will work, and one of them won't but you won't be able to tell, so just Re-author with both subtitles selected. Then upon viewing the mock-up dvd by clicking the newly created vts_01 file and seeing which subtitle works, then you can disable the other subtitle in DVDShrink.

This 2nd case rarely happens. It's only happened to me twice. Or you may get the screwy "Neither works" option, which is where I'm at with Star Trek Generations. So if anyone has an sup file of the english subtitles for Generations, I would appreciate it.

Offline SharpMonkey

• Sparkles in Sunlight
To SecretAgentSuperDragon:
Hrm. Well I tried using ReJig for extraction on my last effort and I got repeated crashes during the authoring phase.  These crashes occurred only when I included the .sup file, and they happened regardless of whether I authored with ifoEdit or ReJig.  I will trash those files and start over from scratch in the hopes that my last effort was flawed by some inappropriate muxing (or possibly de-muxing!) on my part.  I'll put some time in on this soon and post my results.  Thanks for replies and advice!  ;D

To Bathtub:
I sympathize with your frustration.   I just want the subs so I can use a heavier hand when lowering movie audio and so dialog that's riffed over will still be discernible.   Once I'm comfortable doing subs, then all will tremble before my unstoppable army of robot atomic super-zombies riffrax dvd library.   ::)

Offline Godzuki

• Disembaudio's Squadio
Hello new to the boards..just wanted to thank Super for the great guide.  Also, was wondering what steps do I need to do to
convert the rifftrax/movie audio from wav to ac3 in Beelight?  Any particular choices or just fire away.

Thanks again

• Cake or Death?
Just use ffmpeggui. It works just fine.

Offline SharpMonkey

• Sparkles in Sunlight
Usually, if you run your audio/video extracting through Rejig, you can extract the subtitles in the Rejig friendly & IFOedit friendly .sup format. But sometimes, rejig can be a little unreliable for that. Take for instance Star Trek Generations. I tried to rip the subs using rejig, but they were about 30 seconds off from the audio cues. So if rejig doesn't work, I usually use PGC_Demux and extract the english sup subtitles from there. Usually there will be 2 choices for english subtitles. 1 of them will work, and one of them won't but you won't be able to tell, so just Re-author with both subtitles selected. Then upon viewing the mock-up dvd by clicking the newly created vts_01 file and seeing which subtitle works, then you can disable the other subtitle in DVDShrink.

Sorry about the long post.  I've been at this same conversion project for quite a while and need help...

This time I used the Lite Guide to create a Rifftrax DVD of Island of Dr. Moreau. I followed the guide to the letter except that I mixed the audio using Goldwave & the Voice plugin.  The problem is ReJig or IFOedit has crashed during every authoring attmept I've made which includes subtitles.  Here's what I tried:

• Ripped w/ Rejig.  Authored w/ ReJig and including .sup (referred to VTS_01_0.IFO from original DVD for subpicture colors). Crashed during 'Multiplexing Subtitles' phase of authoring.
  • Ripped w/ DVDdecryptor. Authored w/ Rejig using DVDdecrpytor-ripped streams for everything except subtitles, then included .sup file that was ripped w/ ReJig & pointed to original DVD IFO for sub colors.  Crashed during 'Multiplexing Subtitles' phase of authoring.
  • Ripped w/ ReJig.  Authored w/ IFOedit including .sup file.  Crashed during 'Multiplexing DVD Title Set'.
  • Ripped w/ DVDdecryptor.  Authored w/ IFOedit including Rejig-ripped .sup file.  Crashed during 'Multiplexing DVD Title Set'.
  • Used PgcDemux to rip two subtitle streams from the mounted ISO (created w/ DVDFab HD Platinum & Folder2ISO).  Authored w/ ReJig using the two .sup files along with streams ripped w/ DVDdecryptor.  Original IFO was pulled from same DVD image the subtitles were ripped from.  Crashed during 'Multiplexing Subtitles' phase of authoring.

I also tried authoring w/ ReJig and not including subtitles.  This worked fine.  There was an audio sync problem, but I'm pretty sure that's related to ReJig's auto-delay correction because I re-ripped with DVDdecryptor and followed the Main Guide to produce a perfect Rifftrax DVD...without subtitles.

Any advice would be appreciated. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 09:37:45 PM by SharpMonkey »