Author Topic: UNOFFICIAL Rifftrax DVD Creating Step-by-Step Guide (Now With Rifftrax Lite)  (Read 161812 times)

Offline badronald

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
Re: OFFICIAL Rifftrax DVD Creating Step-by-Step Guide
« Reply #30 on: October 17, 2006, 08:59:59 PM »
I make the intro into its own DVD "extra feature".   Using DVDlab I create a slide show with the intro section as the soundtrack & the slides consist of the text description of the movie that I copied from Rifftrax webpage.  I also mix stills from the movie into the slideshow.

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2006, 09:14:26 PM »
First off, I'm on a mac.  So far, I have had no problems reauthoring my DVDs with the rifftrax on them.  But The Matrix is the longest rifftrax yet, and it seems to be too long to fit on a single layer DVDR.  When I put it into iDVD, it tells me that my project is too big and that I must remove some content.  I tried re-ripping the DVD at a smaller target size, but it doesn't seem to matter, it's still too long.  Is there any way that I can get a movie this long onto a 4.2 gig DVDR, or is it simply too long of a movie?  Or do I have to (gulp) put it on two discs??

I'm ripping the movie as a MP4 using Handbrake.
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Hank

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2006, 10:48:47 PM »
First off, I'm on a mac.  ... But The Matrix is the longest rifftrax yet, and it seems to be too long to fit on a single layer DVDR.

Try here

or here

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 699
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2006, 01:27:21 AM »
When using the DELAY CUT program... do you just use it straight outta box so to speak or how do you know what settings to use?
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
  • Liked: 3
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2006, 06:42:04 AM »
1) How big is the Matrix if you just rip the movie alone?
I've been finding that all but a couple of rifftrax movies have been under 4.35GB after I rip just the M2V and AC3 file.
If the Matrix movie by itself is not too much bigger then this, then I'd just make my reauther and shrink it with DVD shrink. Alternitavely, if it requires an considerable ammount of compression to shrink it to under 4.35GB, then I'd re-encode the M2V file with a software encoder like TMPGEnc at a *slow* setting so it does a better job with compression artifacts.

2)I use older versoin of AC3 Delay cut...its called AC3 delay corrector. From what I've found, any thing less then 32ms of delay you wont notice. Also if you decide to re-encode with TMPGEnc then there is an option in it to correct the audio delay. I can't remember the exact terminology as I am not at my "media" computer right now, but I know its in the "Source Range" when you walk through the wizard. Note that most versions of TMPGEnc do not support AC3 files, so I recommend using wave files then converting the wave to AC3 when complete.

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2006, 07:13:44 AM »
1) How big is the Matrix if you just rip the movie alone?

Using Handbrake, you can only rip the movie alone, you don't get menus or anything else.  But you can choose the file size you want to rip at.  Up to this point, I have always chosen an average bitrate of 1000 kbps, and I haven't had a problem.  But when The Matrix turned out to be "too big", I went back to Handbrake and re-ripped the movie, this time at a target size of 900 MB (a size that has worked for other shorter movies).  But when I import it into the iDVD, it didn't make the file size any smaller.  It still says that it's too big (barely, the file size is 4.3 gigs, and disc space it 4.2 gigs).  I'm going to give DVDShrink a try, but if anybody else has any suggestions, please post them.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006, 07:32:02 AM by Smilin Jack Ross »
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2006, 08:00:08 AM »
Using Handbrake, you can only rip the movie alone, you don't get menus or anything else.  But you can choose the file size you want to rip at.  Up to this point, I have always chosen an average bitrate of 1000 kbps, and I haven't had a problem.

Sounds like Handbrake isn't actually ripping the movie; its actually re-encoding the movie.
So yes, you will have to set the bitrate correctly so it doesnt go over 4.35GB.

You can use a BitRate calculator tool to configure your bitrate. I like this one:
http://www.videohelp.com/calc.htm
(you will need Java installed)

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2006, 08:42:38 AM »
Using Handbrake, you can only rip the movie alone, you don't get menus or anything else.  But you can choose the file size you want to rip at.  Up to this point, I have always chosen an average bitrate of 1000 kbps, and I haven't had a problem.

Sounds like Handbrake isn't actually ripping the movie; its actually re-encoding the movie.
So yes, you will have to set the bitrate correctly so it doesnt go over 4.35GB.

You can use a BitRate calculator tool to configure your bitrate. I like this one:
http://www.videohelp.com/calc.htm
(you will need Java installed)

I tried that link, and it's telling me to encode at ~4000 kbps....that doesn't seem right.  If the file was too big when I did it at 1000 kbps, then 4000 would be even bigger, right?

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2006, 10:29:55 AM »
I tried that link, and it's telling me to encode at ~4000 kbps....that doesn't seem right.  If the file was too big when I did it at 1000 kbps, then 4000 would be even bigger, right?

I've never used handbrake, so I don't know if its doing somthing different? But the calc will work if encoding with TMPGEnc or VirtualDub and most other encoders. And I did just check it now with the Matrix runtime of 2 hours 16 min, and I set my audio to 192 kbps and it gave me a calculated bitrate of 4288kbps...and that would be correct.

Are you sure you are stating things correctly and not getting mbps mixed up with kbps? 'cause in your previous post you mentioned you normaly set it at 1000kbps but had to change it to 900mbps.

Offline Dr Z

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2006, 02:43:25 PM »
Easy way to do it...

Rip said movie with DVD Xcopy or similiar program.

Stop short of actually writing the DVD copy and navigate to where the ".VOB" files are located (the temp folder where the program you use rips the original dvd to)

Then import the ".vob" files into the timeline of your favorite editing program (my suggestion use Sony Vegas). You might have to rename the .vob files with the suffix of .mpg inorder for your editing program to recognize the files and display them properly. The movie will also likely be chopped up into multiple .vob files so you might have to import them into your timeline one after the other to layout the complete movie.

Then simply import the riff trax into your time line and line up the audio/video cues.

Then render out an mpeg2 file.

Then import into the DVD building program of choice and render out.

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2006, 05:01:36 AM »
Easy way to do it...

Rip said movie with DVD Xcopy or similiar program.

Stop short of actually writing the DVD copy and navigate to where the ".VOB" files are located (the temp folder where the program you use rips the original dvd to)

Then import the ".vob" files into the timeline of your favorite editing program (my suggestion use Sony Vegas). You might have to rename the .vob files with the suffix of .mpg inorder for your editing program to recognize the files and display them properly. The movie will also likely be chopped up into multiple .vob files so you might have to import them into your timeline one after the other to layout the complete movie.

Then simply import the riff trax into your time line and line up the audio/video cues.

Then render out an mpeg2 file.

Then import into the DVD building program of choice and render out.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here (mrtorso maybe?), but I think this method was tried already and because of the multiple VOB's, the rifftrax would drift evertime the dvd player played a new VOB.

Thats why we switched ripping one solid M2V file and one solid AC3 file.

Offline JoshWay

• Big Montana
  • My mother was a demon!
    • My iRiffs
« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2006, 05:46:55 AM »
I use Vegas, but only to mix the sound. I never bring the VOB onto the timeline.

I use smartripper to extract the movie as a single VOB, which I leave alone until the authoring stage. I also rip the soundtrack to an ac3 file, which I convert to WAV with the free AC3Tool. I mix the audio in Vegas, export a new ac3 file, then I use the original untouched VOB and my new ac3 file to author a new DVD (in DVD Architect). If it's too large, I burn to a DL disc or shrink with DVDShrink. If I have room, I include the original soundtrack and even other commentaries.

The only one I had trouble with was Cocktail. The ripped VOB was only recognized as being 30 minutes long, even though it was the full 4 gigs. I couldn't get Vegas or DVD Architect to acknowlegde the whole thing. I ended up having to capture the whole movie. Not fun.

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2006, 08:17:14 AM »
Are you sure you are stating things correctly and not getting mbps mixed up with kbps? 'cause in your previous post you mentioned you normaly set it at 1000kbps but had to change it to 900mbps.

It's very possible that I'm mixing up my units here, but I think I'm going to bypass all this by just getting a dual layer DVDR and burn my longer projects to that.  I know that my iMac will burn a dual layer, and I'm willing to pay a few extra bucks to avoid any further headache.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 699
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2006, 09:03:37 AM »

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here (mrtorso maybe?), but I think this method was tried already and because of the multiple VOB's, the rifftrax would drift evertime the dvd player played a new VOB.

Thats why we switched ripping one solid M2V file and one solid AC3 file.

I had nothing but problems trying to edit VOBs. You can rename them to mpgs and they will work in most cases but they are not true mpeg2. VOBS store more info in them. When I tried using multiple vobs I would get key frame errors and drop outs at the start and end of the VOBs. Ripping them to 1 solid mpg or demuxed m2v files is a better solution. Once I did that I have no real problems. I also suggest defragging the hard drive you are going to save the file to. Sometimes you wind up with 5gb or more file sizes. If your HDD is fragmented then you will have problems with playback and what not.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2006, 10:36:31 AM »
I also suggest defragging the hard drive you are going to save the file to. Sometimes you wind up with 5gb or more file sizes. If your HDD is fragmented then you will have problems with playback and what not.

Good point. Also, if you have the luxury of having 2 hard drives, then I recommend anytime you are muxing, demuxing, mixing audio or whatever...always do it from one drive to the other. Never do it all on the same drive; it takes longer and your hard drive has to work much harder.