Author Topic: UNOFFICIAL Rifftrax DVD Creating Step-by-Step Guide (Now With Rifftrax Lite)  (Read 159473 times)

Offline SecretAgentSuperDragon

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
  • Cake or Death?
Re: OFFICIAL Rifftrax DVD Creating Step-by-Step Guide
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2006, 02:03:38 PM »
So you made sure it was in ifo mode, the xmen main feature (which I believe is around 1 hour 40 min) was selected under stream processing, and the demux options were set for the audio and video? Hey, which audio did you choose to do? I know that there is 2-channel AC3 and 6 Channel DTS. When I did X-men, I used the 2 channel, maybe try that out.

Also, if its doing 1 gig chunks or .99 gb chunks, I think it is probably because you are in File mode and not ifo. Make sure you are, and try it again.

On another note to all the posters, I haven't tried Belight yet, but I wanna try it out? It sounds like it takes up less space than GoldWave, plus it already has the delaycut feature in it, which is cool.

Also, some advice for the audio overlapping: I realize that when I watch the DVDs sometimes, the cheesy movies always seem to jack up the volume on the action scenes and turn it down on the talking scenes. If you want to take extra time to do so, you can highlight the action scenes and turn them down or vice versa with the commentary by turning it up. That's all for now.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2006, 02:11:03 PM »
I found it, under options it was set to spit at a gig, plus goldwave hated the ac3 file so I had to belight for this one, almost done though.

Hank

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2006, 07:19:20 PM »
, the cheesy movies always seem to jack up the volume on the action scenes and turn it down on the talking scenes. If you want to take extra time to do so, you can highlight the action scenes and turn them down or vice versa with the commentary by turning it up.

Crossroads is the worst offender so far. The volume is doubled whenever a song plays. To top it off, Mike seems to almost whisper during those scenes. Actually, there's a lot of trailing off in this Riff. I had to do a ton of editing to equalize Mike's voice (Such lines as "Madonna" "What is she bouncing on?", to name a couple.

X-Men, ST:V and Boron were great (very well equalized).

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2006, 09:09:32 PM »
I found it, under options it was set to spit at a gig, plus goldwave hated the ac3 file so I had to belight for this one, almost done though.

Yeah you don't wanting it spitting at your gigs!  ;)
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2006, 03:00:48 AM »
Heh  ;D

Well it ain't pretty but I have a X-men rifftrax iso, which is literally just that, play the disc and it just auto plays X-men with the rifftrax commentary. For my next attempt (probably Boron) I will try things like chapters, and maybe keeping the original audio as well.

Thanks for the guide, it helped a lot.

I was very surprised at how easy the audio was to sync up, shows how the drift is pretty much entirely in the playing of the 2 files.  As soon as I had the right number of seconds of silence at the start all the lines were in sync. Then I muted the sync lines.

Offline Qrusher14242

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2006, 04:17:50 AM »
Heh  ;D

Well it ain't pretty but I have a X-men rifftrax iso, which is literally just that, play the disc and it just auto plays X-men with the rifftrax commentary. For my next attempt (probably Boron) I will try things like chapters, and maybe keeping the original audio as well.

Thanks for the guide, it helped a lot.

I was very surprised at how easy the audio was to sync up, shows how the drift is pretty much entirely in the playing of the 2 files.  As soon as I had the right number of seconds of silence at the start all the lines were in sync. Then I muted the sync lines.

Did you use Dynamic Range compression on xmen? i made an xmen rifftrax, but the xmen audio was ripped so low that you could barely hear it. But then the explosions were so high you couldnt hear bill or mike. Very frustrating. Roadhouse was the best one i've had so far, soundwise.

Offline The_Flash

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked:
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2006, 06:01:12 AM »
I used "normal" dynamic range compression in BeLight/BeSweet for X-Men.  When I put it all together and watched it, it seemed fine.  I think I like my Road House DVD best of all so far, too.  I reduced original audio volume to 70% and raised Mike's voice another 7dB. 

Adjusting the RiffTrax and original DVD's audio levels seems to be the most time consuming for me, as each DVD is different.  Some DVDs I've used a different DRC on, and/or adjusted the normalization to make the volume level lower to better hear Mike.  On the 5th Element's original audio I used a bass reducing preset in GoldWave, as some of the rumbling was too much when trying to listen to Mike.  Maybe you could try this with X-Men?

You can also tweak a lot of settings when encoding your final Ac3 file.  I like the encoder included with the old Scenarist authoring package as it includes a setting for commentary tracks as well as a separate option for dialog normalization on the output file.

Like I said, audio mixing seems to be the most time consuming, maybe because I've become so anal with it.  I'm always curious to see what others have done with certain DVDs.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2006, 06:06:46 AM by The_Flash »

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2006, 12:05:54 PM »
I haven't watched xmen yet so I didn't do anything altering of the audio.

• Liked:
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2006, 11:59:22 AM »
You might wanna go back then. All of the action parts go from 0-60 db in like 5 seconds. I remember trying to watch Rogue talk at the beginning, and I could barely hear her. Then once I turned the volume up, then some loud scene happened and my ears are still bleeding. I would take the original X-men dvd, time all of the action sequences from their start to end, then go through audacity and reduce the original action audio while increasing Mike and Bill's commentary. I didn't do it the first time, and 1/4 of the jokes were pretty much covered up by ACTION!!! I will be re doing it again. I am pretty sure it will turn out better.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2006, 01:14:33 PM »
I've listened to random bits, I'll go back if I have to. can't be as bad as STV was.

Offline Torgo

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2006, 01:17:32 PM »
Here's how to prevent DVD Decrypter from breaking your video files into 1GB chunks.
From the top line of DVE Decrypte menu select TOOLS, then select SETTINGS. Then select the IFO Mode Tab. Under the OPTIONS section change the FILE SPLITTING setting from the pull down menu to NONE.

That's what fixed it for me.

This is really great -- It makes watching the RiffTrax much more easier.

Torgo
Torgo

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2006, 07:53:00 AM »
Yeah, as I mentioned earlier ;)

So Cocktail looks like it is next, any comments on the audio levels for that one?

Offline Shinigami

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2006, 10:56:41 AM »
I would like to add something else.  I figured out how to get the subtitles into the re-authored DVD.  This is very nice for keeping track of dialogue while Mike is riffing. 

DVD Decrypter can demux subtitles the same way as audio and video.  However, the file it produces is very unuseful.  You need to use sub2sup to convert the sub file.  The resultant sup file can be used by Rejig, IfoEdit, and DVDAuthorGUI to author DVDs.  It CANNOT be used by DVD-Lab Pro (much to my frustration).  If you want to use DVD-Lab, you have to convert the Sup or Sub file using SubRip to either a text format or a BMP format.  This is a long frustrating process, so now I'm using ReJig to make DVDs.

BTW, I've read that you should use ReJig for NTSC and IfoEdit for PAL.  Each program apparently has errors handling the opposite format.

Offline Torgo

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2006, 02:50:40 PM »
Torgo have question......

I would like to leave the Rifftrax intro/instruction section on the DVD soundtrack when I re-author my DVD.

Does anyone know the best way to best do this and still be able to sync up the 2 tracks with the video? Could it be done within IFOEDIT?

I thought that I saw this posted elsewhere on the board but I can't find it.

Maybe the Master would know....
Torgo

• Liked:
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2006, 05:31:34 PM »
You might have to add blank video to the beginning, that is the only way I could think of doing that. I wouldn't know how to do it persay, but I am sure there are someprograms that would let you do it.

Either that, or just move the intro to the end of the movie if you wanna hear it, there is usually plenty of free space in the credits.