Author Topic: UNOFFICIAL Rifftrax DVD Creating Step-by-Step Guide (Now With Rifftrax Lite)  (Read 159620 times)

Offline SecretAgentSuperDragon

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
  • Cake or Death?
Hi everyone. SecretAgentSuperDragon here and I thought I would make my first post an important one. How many of you have wondered if there is a better way to experience rifftrax rather than using an ipod and a dvd player? Many have talked about very complicated procedures in syncing the rifftrax up with the video. Well I come to you today to give you the OFFICIAL RIFFTRAX DVD CREATION GUIDE.  First off, let me show you what dvd tools you will need. (P.S. , Don't worry about software cost because all these items are freeware, so enjoy.) Also, let me advocate that you should follow these instructions only if you own the movie, otherwise it is copyright infringement and the Gov't is being a pain about it nowadays.

Mac Users can follow this link for a Mac-centric guide prepared by k1posterchild:
http://home.comcast.net/~k1posterchild/Rifftrax_to_DVD_on_osx.doc

or use this mac guide posted by dr9553: http://www.quickstream.tv/rifftrax/

If you seem to have trouble with the mac guide, check out Post 296 on here for some tips.

DON'T BE FRIGHTENED BY THE QUANTITY OF TOOLS. MOST ARE RELATIVELY SMALL AND YOU'LL BE GLAD ONCE YOU HAVE THEM.

Ingredient List:
DVD Decrypter - Rips DVD files from the DVD and puts it on your desktop.

delaycut - A neccesary little tool that fixes your audio file after it is ran through DVD decrypter.

PX3Convert - Simple audio software that allows you to convert the DVD audio files into Wav files.

Audacity - Audio program that you will use to Sync up the Rifftrax to the DVD audio.

ffmpegGUI - 3rd (small) audio program that lets you change your Final Rifftrax wav file back into ac3.

Ifoedit - Program that takes your audio and video files, and makes it into a single file ready for DVDShrink.
NOTE: As an alternate to Ifoedit(in case Ifoedit isn't working properly), you can use the program rejig.  When you start it up, just click DVD Author, and follow the same instructions as Ifoedit.

DVDShrink - Final program that compresses your files to fit onto a single disc, and then burns them.

A DVD R/RW drive
Your Rifftrax commentary(s)
A GED (Just Kidding. It's pretty easy.)

RIFFTRAX LITE DVD GUIDE
For those of you who do not wanna mess around with the full guide, I have created a faster guide with half the calories for you to follow. This Guide requires only  Rejig, DVDShrink & DVD Decrypter(For burning purposes), PX3Convert, Audacity, ffmpegGUI, & ChapterXtractor. So let's get started:

LITE STEP 1: Ripping the files
After downloading your tools, create a folder on your desktop where you'll wanna save
your movie files. After the folder is created, pop in your DVD(it knows why it's here)
to your drive, and open up your Rejig program.[NOTE: When you first open rejig,
go to Settings and make sure the old engine is checked.
] Click on the IFO Mode
button and a new window will open. Your main movie file should already be highlighted.
Don't mess with the Correct AC3 Delay box, and check the demux video
tab.(Don't mess w/ the chapters in this, for some reason, rejig messes up the chapters.
This is why we will be using Chapter Xtractor instead.)
After that, go to the far right
box and checkmark the video file, and the audio file right below it(If there is a 2channel
audio on the dvd, select that for easier audio editing in audacity.)
(If you want to add
any other foreign language audio or subs, go aheadand do that too.) Click on the three
periods (...) next to output directory and create a new "movie files folder" (you will save
your chapter times in here) for the output directory. Click Process and let it work it's magic.
      While this is doing it's thing, open your ChapterXtractor, and before you open the IFO file, go
      to the Format tab.  Delete all the text in the Header field.  Change the format field to %fn (that's
      percent f backslash n).  Then open the IFO file. Click on open IFO,
      find your dvd drive, click on it, then click on Video_TS, then double click VTS_01_0
      (or whatever VTS file shows the chapters for the whole movie). This will get you your
      chapter times. Go to the format tab, then click "Save Data", and save it as "Chapter
      Times" or something like that into your "movie files folder".
      Then we can move onto step 2.

LITE STEP 2: Converting the AC3
Open up PX3Convert and click on the "..." tab next to the AC3-File icon and
find your AC3 audio file. Then for the WAVfile tab, choose a name for your
WAV audio file (maybe Regular Movie Audio) and go ahead and click Start Convert.
Your new Wav file should be created, so let's go to lite step 3.

LITE STEP 3: Syncing up the movie audio with the rifftrax
Open up Audacity, drag the Movie's WAV file into there, let it load, then do the
same with the rifftrax mp3. Now for some editing. You'll wanna highlight the first couple
minutes of the rifftrax to the point after Mike says "1 2 3 Pause". Hit the silence button
(right next to the cut button) and that part will be silenced. Then cut away parts of the
beginning of the silenced rifftrax until disembaudio syncs up with the lines in the movie.(Do
this by looking at the rifftrax readme file, finding the time difference between the rifftrax and
the DVD, and cutting away that amount of time from the beginning of the rifftrax.)
Now you can leave Dis's voice in, but seeing as though you already have the movie lined up,
you can silence his sync lines as well. For quick and effective audio editing, first, make sure you
have the 2 channel movie audio. To be able to hear the rifftrax, even during the loud parts of
the movie, go to the far left side of the rifftrax, and move the gain marker(the one between
the plus and minus signs) to +3 db. For the movie audio, move it to -3 db, and you will be in
business. Go ahead and click file and click export as wav. It will combine the 2
audio files into a shiny new WAV file.(If you do not have enough space on your computer,
you can try exporting it as an mp3. I'm pretty sure it works the same in ffmpeggui).
Now to lite step 4.

LITE STEP 4: Converting the Riffed Movie Wav file back to AC3
Open up ffmpeggui, click browse next to Audio Source, and choose
your riffed movie wav file. click browse next to audio output and save the
file as "RiffedMovieAC3file" into your movie files folder. Then click convert
and let it finish. To lite step 5.

LITE STEP 5: Authoring everything together
Open Rejig again, this time clicking on the DVD Author button. Choose
your video file for the video tab, your riffed ac3 and regular audio
file for the audio tab, the chapters file for the chapter tab(make sure that it
is set to NTSC or PAL depending on the dvd's version), & the (optional) subtitle file
for the subpicture tabNote: If you choose to have subtitles, make sure to click
the Original IFO tab and find VTS_01_0 (under your DVD drive directory,same thing
you did for the chapters)to get the original subtitle color. Otherwise, they'll look like
crap.
. Go to Destination and select a new, empty folder for
your output files, and click Create. Let it finish, then go to lite step 6.

LITE STEP 6: Shrinking and burning to DVD
Open up DVD Shrink, and click the Open Files button. Find your newly authored
files folder, select Video_TS, and click OK. The movie will shrink if it needs to.
(Optional: Click analysis if you have 15-30 minutes to kill for slightly better video
quality.) Click Backup and under the Select Backup Target tab, choose
"ISO Image File and burn with DVD Decrypter". Then click OK. It will create the ISO
file and automatically open up DVD Decrypter when it's done. Slip in a blank DVD, click
Write To DVD button, and it will start to burn. Check the delete ISO after
burning
box, and pretty soon, you will have your new RIFFTRAX LITE DVD.

Enjoy! Any questions or problems, post 'em here and we'll help out.

THE MAIN GUIDE

STEP 1: After downloading all the tools. We are ready to make movies. The first

step is to take your Cheesy DVD and place it in your computer's dvd r/rw drive.

When the selection screen pops up, close it. Go to My Computer and right click on

the drive that contains your movie. A list of options will appear in a little dialogue

box. Select "Decrypt Using DVD Decrypter". The DVD Decrypter program will open

and start analyzing the DVD. More than likely, a box will pop up asking you to

select the region code of the dvd. Most of the time there is only one option, and it

has already been chosen, so just click the OK button at the bottom of the box.

Now, you will be at the main menu of the program. Before we start ripping, we have

to alter some options. Go to "mode" at the top of the window, click it, and

make sure that there is a checkmark next to IFO. If there isn't, make it

so.(Side Note 1: To make sure your files don't split, go to options, then go to

IFO options, and make sure that the tab that says file splitting is set to

none. Also, if you would like to have chapters for your movie, you can check

the box marked Chapter Information - IfoEdit. It's on the same page as the

file splitting options.
) Then the program should go through the same initial

stuff with the Region Code and what not. Once you are again at the main menu,

you should see two tabs to the left: Input and Stream Processing. DVD

Decrypter will have already highlighted the main movie under the Input tab. Now

go to the Stream Processing tab. There will be a bunch of Video and Audio files with

check boxes next to them. Make sure all the boxes are unchecked except for the

Video box(At the very top of the list) And one Audio box(Ex: Audio-AC3/6ch/English).

(Side Note 2: If you want subtitles or a commentary track in your movie, you

can check them too. The IFOedit program let's you have subtitles, and more than 1

audio track for your IFO file, but I usually select Mike's track as the primary one,

and the regular audio track as the secondary one.
) Then right click and select

set all checked to demux, or something along those lines. Once ready,

create a new folder on your desktop with the movie title in it. Then click on the

folder next to destination on your DVD Decrypter and choose your newly

created folder on the desktop as your destination for the files. Once that is done,

click the DVD button below it and let it go to town. It Should take between 10 and

20 minutes depending on your Burner's speed. Once it is finished, close it out and

we go to step 2.

STEP 2: Open up the delaycut program because more than likely, your audio file in

your desktop folder will be delayed.(If the Audio(AC3) file says "delayed #ms" at

the end of your file you will need to do this." Click on browse under the input option

and select your audio file. Then click PROCESS at the bottom of the window and let

it process the audio file. After it is done, it will output the fixed audio file in the

same folder. The two files may look the same, but the processed will have the word

"fixed" at the end of the filename. Delete the delayed file to avoid further

confusion. Now you are ready for step 3.

STEP 3: Open up the PX3Convert program and click on the "..." tab next to the AC3-File

icon and browse around and find the AC3 movie audio and click open. Then for the WAV

file tab, choose a name for your WAV audio file (maybe Regular Movie Audio) and go

ahead and click Start Convert.Your new Wav file should be created, so let's

go to step 4.

ALTERNATE AUDIO CHOICE: If you feel you could handle a more challenging audio

converter than px3 convert, I would highly recommend BeSweet(The program) coupled with BeLight(The GUI).

Downloads and Instructions on how to use them are available here.

After downloading and having the Belight Gui properly set up, open belight, and for input,

find your ac3 file, and for output, name your outputted wav file(I usually call it Regular wav audio.wav).

Make Sure the WAV/PCM tab is selected and the output format selected is WAV @ 16 Bits Stereo.

Check dynamic compression and make sure it says normal. Don't check sampling rate, but

check Boost Mode and make sure it is set to LigH. Finally, check mode with Hybrid Gain

selected, and your ready to go(Don't worry about checking all these boxes again.They'll be preselected

each time you do this.) Click start, and it will begin converting for you at a rate of 1 minute of audio

converted every 3 seconds. The advantage of using this audio converter is that it normalizes the movie

audio quite well, and makes it so in audacity, you don't have to reduce loud parts or raise quiet parts.

Basically, all you will have to do is raise the rifftrax to +3db(sometimes not even that), sync it up, and output.

It is much faster, and much less time consuming. So see if you can swing it. ;).

STEP 4: Run Audacity and drag the Movie Audio Wav file you just made into it. After it loads,

drag the rifftrax mp3 into Audacity and give it time to load. It will take around

a minute to load each one. This now is the fun part. You are

going to be editing the rifftrax audio file. Usually the first 2 minutes are

introductions and you wil want to get rid of that. So highlight from the beginning all

the way up to where Mike tells you to pause. Click the cut button near the upper

mid right corner of the program. Now you want to make the disembaudio lines sync

up with movie lines. Follow the rifftrax instructions to find out at what point in the

movie the line is said. If it is said before disembaudio says it, you will want to cut

some silence from the beginning of the movie. If it is said after disembaudio says

it, you will want to add silence to the beginning of the movie.(You can do this by

copying a silent part out of the commentary and pasting it to the beginning). Just

fool around till the lines are synced up. Now you can either leave disembaudio in

the movie, OR SILENCE HIM!!! (Side Note 3: If you have a rated R movie and

you find the language too offensive for yourself or for others watching with you, you

can use the following silencing technique on the movie audio to blank out the curse

words.
)To silence him once the movie is synced up, just highlight each one

of his lines, one by one, and click the silence button next to the cut,copy,and paste

buttons. Once you have done that to all of them, go to File and click Export as

Wav
. This will mix the two sound tracks together into one wav file. You will

probably want to output this file into your DVD files folder on the Desktop. Once it

has been mixed, we move onto short little step 5.

STEP 5: Open up the weird sounding ffmpegGUI program. Once open, click the browse

button next to audio source and choose your newly created rifftrax movie audiofile.

Make sure under format it says AC3 and output the file into your DVD files folder.

Once you have selected your folder, click the convert button and it will convert your

Wav file into AC3. After it converts it, you can delete all your space consuming Wav

files since we will not be needing them anymore. Onward to Step 6.

STEP 6: Open the Ifoedit program and go to the DVD author tab and click Author

New DVD
. For Video, click the period button and select your M2V Video file. For

Audio, click the period button and choose your Commentary AC3 file you created in

Audacity. Now you have the option of either having that single Rifftrax audiofile OR

having the rifftrax file and the regular movie audiofile w/o the commentary.

That way, you can have the option of listening to the movie with or without the

commentary when you press the audio button on your dvd remote. Either way, its

all good. Now for the output file, you will want to create a new folder on your

Desktop labled "Final Files" or something along those lines. After you have your

output files ready to go into your Final Files folder, then click OK. It will take about

5 or 10 minutes. After it finishes, close the program and move onto the FINAL STEP.

FINAL STEP: Open DVDShrink and go to the Open Files tab. Select your

Final Files folder and click OK. It will analyze the movie and shrink the file to

fit onto a single dvd disc. After analyzation is done, click on Backup. There

will be a new window with several tabs. Don't pay attention to any of them except

for the one your on, called "Target Device". Under Select Backup Target, choose the

ISO Image File and burn with DVD Decrypter option. MAKE SURE YOU

SWITCH OUT YOUR MOVIE DVD FOR A BLANK DVD, then click OK and DVD Decrypter

will automatically open up and start burning your DVD. Make sure to check the

erase ISO file box since the ISO file take up about 4 GB. The burning will take

around 10 to 15 minutes. Once it finishes, you have....

YOUR SHINY NEW RIFFTRAX DVD!!!!!

Go to your nearest DVD player, and make sure it works. Once your done crying your

tears of joy, delete all of your leftover Movie Files and folders on your Desktop (NOT

THE TOOLS), and enjoy your own Homemade RIFFTRAX DVD. I have done this with

X-Men and Star Trek and they both turned out fantastic. No Video quality loss or

anything.

So I hope this guide will help you in all of your Rifftrax DVD making adventures.

Now if you will excuse me, I gotta go drain the Superdragon ;D. Have Fun.

This guide copyrighted by SecretAgentSuperDragon. September 30, 2006.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2008, 08:08:11 AM by SecretAgentSuperDragon »

Hank

Re: OFFICIAL Rifftrax DVD Creating Step-by-Step Guide
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2006, 11:18:23 PM »
What I did:

Tools
DVDDecrypter
Goldwave
dvd2avi
TMPEG DVD Author Pro

1. Rip with DVDDecrypter (or any other ripper will do)
2. use  Goldwave to convert Riff into wav, then trim it from right after Mike says "now", save as PCM 16-bit stereo.
EDIT: Also, select each Disembaudio sync line and mute (one by one). I also muted out Disembaudio's "riffing" in the solo Mike riffs.
  • Here you may adjust the volume so that the Riff and original audio mix well without one overpowering the other
3. rip dvd audio to wav with dvd2avi and load into Goldwave (already open).
4. Select All and Copy Riff
5. Mix Riff at entry point for movie (start marker at: 1 minute for 5th Element, 18 seconds for Star Trek, 44.3 seconds for X-Men, Crossroads and Top Gun coming soon)
6. Save Riff as wav (it will be huge, a bit over 1 Gig)
7. I use TMPEG DVD Author Pro, which accepts 2 audio tracks (to hear original audio, if desired) and will convert the Riff audio to ac3 (needed for DVD and smaller size). You can also create chapter menus, naming them with the ttles found in the Readme file.
8. Build DVD and burn. I use Imgburn to create an iso and burn it. I suggest using a DVD-RW (or DVD+RW) to test and make sure the audio levels are right.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2006, 01:27:44 PM by Hank »

Offline SaucyRossy

• Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2006, 11:57:37 PM »
this may very well be the best topic ever created...thank you so much.  ;D

www.rifftraxfan.com - Check out Gammers RiffTrax Fan page!

Offline Qrusher14242

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2006, 05:15:31 PM »
Thanks for this!  ;D I fnally got my first rifftrax dvd, watched Roadhouse. Man its just like old times with MST.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2006, 05:19:31 PM »
wow someone had a lot of time on his hands lol

Offline SecretAgentSuperDragon

• Liked:
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2006, 06:09:51 PM »
wow someone had a lot of time on his hands lol

Well, somebody had to do it. And Spock did say that my guide was very "logical." :D

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
  • Liked:
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2006, 06:11:15 PM »
Good work!

I wanted to put more into the instructions I have on my page, but just never found the time. I'm glad someone else did it in more detail.

Offline Conor

• Yardstick
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked:
    • conorlastowka.com
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2006, 07:51:28 PM »
Any additions or corrections, let a mod know and we can edit them into the main post.

We'll unlock this, but keep this discussion on topic.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2006, 04:15:45 PM by Conor L »

Offline Shinigami

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2006, 08:37:31 AM »
I would like to make a few additions from my own experience with DVD authoring.

There's a very nice feature with DVDDecrypter that no one has pointed out.  Go to Settings and then to the IFO tab in DVD Decrypter.  On the right side you will notice additional files you can output.  This includes chapter information in various formats.  I personally use DVD-Lab but IfoEdit format is also there.  When you do a demux, the chapter information will be there.  All you have to do is import the file into your DVD authoring program and you have instant chapters.

For converting sound from AC3 to Wav, I use BeLight.  BeLight is an alternate GUI for BeSweet, and the conversions are really good quality.  It has alot of settings you can mess with, and it has a fix delay feature built in.  This way you don't need to use DelayCut.  BTW, it seems to always pick the correct delay, so you don't even have to think about it.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools?tool=BeLight

When using Audacity to edit the Wav, don't bother converting the rifftrax to Wav.  It's a waste of time, resources, and will in no way increase quality.  Audacity can handle MP3's without a hitch, including mixing it with a Wav.

DVD audio HAS to be set at 48000HZ.  I'm not sure if ffmpeggui automatically does this conversion, but its so easy to fix why bother risking it.  In Audacity, in the bottom left hand corner is the project sample rate.  Click on that and change it to 48000 if it isn't already.  This way when you do "Export to Wav..", you know you're getting a DVD compatible file.

Offline Tarantulas

• Liked:
  • #97 Rifftrax Fan in the World!
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 08:42:36 AM »
For those of you who convert your DVDs to AVIs, there is a cool program that makes short work of it.

Auto Gordian Knot is pretty much a one stop shop and automated the entire process.

http://www.autogk.me.uk/

The only thing not included is a program to "rip" the DVD.  But how you do that is between you, Hollywood, and the DMCA ;)

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked:
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2006, 11:15:06 AM »
Mac Users can follow this link for a Mac-centric guide prepared by k1posterchild:

http://home.comcast.net/~k1posterchild/Rifftrax_to_DVD_on_osx.doc

This is a wonderful step by step guide.  I'm also on a mac, and I do it similarily, except for the beginning part.  Where this guide uses Mac The Ripper, I use Handbrake, which is also a freeware program you can download.  It works great, and it rips the DVD directly as an MPEG4 file, so you don't have to do any file conversion, you can just drag this file directly into iMovie..

The only other thing I do differently is that when editing out disembaudios lines in iMovie, I don't turn the volume up and down, I cut the audio out completely.  To do this I put the playhead right before DA's line, then hit "command + T" to put a cut in the rifftrax audio.  Do the same right after the DA line, then click on that small clip, and hit backspace.  Poof, the DA line is gone.  To me it's quicker.

But a great walk-thru k1posterchild!
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 11:18:20 AM by Smilin Jack Ross »
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked:
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2006, 12:54:15 PM »

The only other thing I do differently is that when editing out disembaudios lines in iMovie, I don't turn the volume up and down, I cut the audio out completely.  To do this I put the playhead right before DA's line, then hit "command + T" to put a cut in the rifftrax audio.  Do the same right after the DA line, then click on that small clip, and hit backspace.  Poof, the DA line is gone.  To me it's quicker.

But a great walk-thru k1posterchild!

Thanks!
I didn't mention in the guide that I cut out the sync lines.  I only use the volume up/down for the back and forth between Mike & DA.

I'll have to give the Handbrake a shot.  (How's the quality on the rip?)

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked:
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2006, 01:07:26 PM »
Thanks!
I didn't mention in the guide that I cut out the sync lines.  I only use the volume up/down for the back and forth between Mike & DA.

I'll have to give the Handbrake a shot.  (How's the quality on the rip?)

I have a 52" widescreen TV, and when it's blown up that big I can definitely tell there's a drop in quality (some pixelation).  But on a normal TV, I can't really tell there's much of a drop in quality at all.  In all, it's good enough for me, but you'll have to try it yourself to see if it's acceptable to you.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 01:15:13 PM by Smilin Jack Ross »
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline Shinigami

• Big Montana
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2006, 08:44:42 PM »
I found out something else today.  BeLight has Dynamic Range Compression built in.  So you can put the setting to Light.  This will make loud noises softer and soft noises louder, makes it alot easier to adjust Rifftrax audio gain.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2006, 01:04:28 PM »
Hmm ok, trying X-Men, DVD Decrypter outputs the video in 1 gig chunks. so when it gets time to use ifoedit, it only takes the first file and makes only 20 minutes of video.

what am I missing?