login

Author Topic: Don't Panic!  (Read 6217 times)

Offline PlayMSTie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 4
Re: Don't Panic!
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2007, 07:14:42 AM »
I'm reading through the series now, recommended by a good friend, and thoroughly enjoying it. I hope to listen to the radio show one of these days. And I agree with Sharktopus that the recent movie had a charm of its own.

Thanks for the Dirk Gently recommendation -- I'll have to look those up!
"There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal." C. S. Lewis

Bring back Bridget!

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2007, 10:32:56 AM »
I think the "problem" with the movie was that a lot of the die-hard fans were expecting it to be a word-for-word transcript of the first book, or the first three episodes of the radio series or television series.  Unfortunately, a lot of them weren't taking into account that every version of the story has had significant differences from all the other versions.  That's just how Douglas Adams wrote.  And the previous versions, while they work well as radio/TV scripts or a book, wouldn't work quite as well as a movie. 
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline FordPrefect

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2007, 01:31:43 AM »
I think the "problem" with the movie was that a lot of the die-hard fans were expecting it to be a word-for-word transcript of the first book, or the first three episodes of the radio series or television series.  Unfortunately, a lot of them weren't taking into account that every version of the story has had significant differences from all the other versions.  That's just how Douglas Adams wrote.  And the previous versions, while they work well as radio/TV scripts or a book, wouldn't work quite as well as a movie. 

I have the same beliefs about the movie. I heard someone online refer to it as "Hitchhiker-Lite" once and I think that's an appropriate way to describe it.  It's basically the shortest version of the story ever made, so I don't understand why lots of fans thought an episodic, long form storyline like Hitchhiker would have made a smooth translation to the silver screen.  Some director is really enthusiastic about trying to convince Touchstone to let him do a sequel for the home video market. I must say I'm curious to see the result, if it happens.

I was first introduced to Hitchhiker when I was taking my first visit to the library at my high school with a friend. I was looking through various books and the title, "So Long, and Thanks For All The Fish" caught my eye. My friend gave me a brief explanation and recommended that I check it out. I decided to read the first one to start with and boy am I glad. I would not have known what was going on if I'd read "So Long" first. I eventually discovered the TV series, radio series, Marvin songs, computer game, illustrated version, comic book, and movie. I like them all for different reasons, but I have a soft spot for the radio series. Dirk Maggs did a great job on the last three phases, and I look forward to his upcoming radio adaptations of the Dirk Gently stories.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2007, 05:08:41 AM »
So does everyone own OK, Computer? Seeing how it's chock full of HHGG references.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2007, 05:37:58 AM »
Never could stand Radiohead.  Guys? It's called "melody," look into it.

That's the funny thing, Ok Computer is actually pretty good music because it's not really like the other albums, it's the only Radiohead album I really like.

Though I wish they'd asked Stephen Moore  to do the vocals on Paranoid Android

[quick=475,325]http://www.blueharvest.net/sound/hiker/marvin-love.wav[/quick]
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 09:13:39 AM by TripeHoundRedux »

Offline Jinto

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2007, 08:47:36 AM »
I'd almost suggest a Riff for the 'recent' HHGttG Movie, but I'm afraid it might have been too dull even to make fun of.

Offline Rude

• Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2007, 09:28:37 AM »
Quote from: Jinto
I'd almost suggest a Riff for the 'recent' HHGttG Movie, but I'm afraid it might have been too dull even to make fun of.

I thought this thread sounded familiar... http://www.rifftrax.com/smf/index.php/topic,2135.0.html

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline Jinto

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2007, 09:54:52 AM »
Quote from: Jinto

I thought this thread sounded familiar... http://www.rifftrax.com/smf/index.php/topic,2135.0.html

-Rude

How did my comment become a link to some other thread?  ???

eh, wrong reply button I guess... or perhaps the Marvin-like tone of the comment? (I thought that was pretty clever personally).  :P

Offline call_me_nuveena

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
  • Your local goddess of mediocrity.
    • Mindless Drivel
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2007, 10:50:37 PM »
So who's a fan?  Who here really knows where their towel is? 

You can count on this hoopy frood! (Though I'm not a guy, but still, you get the drift.)

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2007, 11:26:55 PM »
You can count on this hoopy frood! (Though I'm not a guy, but still, you get the drift.)

Is frood masculine? I don't remember. Is there froodette?

Offline call_me_nuveena

• Magneto-cent Member
    • Mindless Drivel
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2007, 12:03:15 AM »
As far as I recall (and I'm too lazy to go into my office to get the book), a frood is a "really together guy."  So yeah, I guess it's masculine.  Though I'd rather be incorrectly described as a frood than correctly described as a froodette any day.  There's something weird and creepy about froodette

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2007, 12:09:44 AM »
As far as I recall (and I'm too lazy to go into my office to get the book), a frood is a "really together guy."  So yeah, I guess it's masculine.  Though I'd rather be incorrectly described as a frood than correctly described as a froodette any day.  There's something weird and creepy about froodette

Yeah, that was the definition. But girls can still be guys by my reckoning. Feel free to call yourself a frood, even if you're not a dude. (Eat your heart out, Shel Silverstein.)

Offline call_me_nuveena

• Magneto-cent Member
    • Mindless Drivel
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2007, 12:17:29 AM »
Yeah, that was the definition. But girls can still be guys by my reckoning. Feel free to call yourself a frood, even if you're not a dude. (Eat your heart out, Shel Silverstein.)

I figured, though it's always good to have the approval of a bonafide team member.

Ha!  Member.  I kill me.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2007, 12:19:18 AM by call_me_nuveena »

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2007, 01:46:31 AM »
There's something weird and creepy about froodette

Oh, I don't know about that.  Personally, I find the Froodette to be the most delectable of all the Little DebbieTM Brand snack cakes.

Offline Rude

• Forum Czar
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2007, 08:34:48 AM »
Quote from: Sharktopus Prime
Yeah, that was the definition. But girls can still be guys by my reckoning.

Hmmm.... then there's a street here in San Francisco that you may be interested in visiting some night~

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>