Author Topic: Harmonix Rock Band!  (Read 18660 times)

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
Re: Harmonix Rock Band!
« Reply #105 on: October 27, 2007, 01:25:30 PM »
Not looking forward to failing the vocals on Run To the Hills repeatedly though.

Run to the hiiiiiiiiills,
Run for your liiiiiiiiiives!!!!
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline Bob M.

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
  • Think you can take me? Well, go ahead on.
    • Bob M. Montgomery Images
« Reply #106 on: October 27, 2007, 01:44:12 PM »
There is no currently announced version for the wii.

Not officially, but as IGN reported way back in April (http://wii.ign.com/articles/777/777553p1.html), there is solid confirmation of a Wii version coming, and a few other gaming outlets have had 'unofficial' reports of January. Fingers crossed, of course :)
Bob M. Montgomery Images
Fine Art and Commision Photography
http://www.BMMImages.com/

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #107 on: October 31, 2007, 04:45:24 PM »
A nice vid of a guy from wired singing and playing guitar at the same time, to Say it Ain't So.

[yt=425,350]9ltSREu_n2g[/yt]

Offline SmilinJackRoss

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
    • Heated Seats iRiffs
« Reply #108 on: November 01, 2007, 06:52:22 AM »
Where's the microphone?
Heated Seats iRiffs: Touched by an Angel | Marked for Death | Runaway | Heated Shorts (shorts collection)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 986
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #109 on: November 01, 2007, 08:23:57 AM »
A heads up:

Firstly, a confirmed thing: Many Best Buys and Walmarts are receiving demo units of Rock Band with the guitars and the drums (no mike though), so if you're anxious to play the game, you may want to run by the local big box place.

Secondly, I'm seeing reports that a number of stores are receiving retail copies of Rock Band as well and a few of these units have been accidentally sold. And while some folks are reporting that no, the idiots sold you their demo copy, others are reporting that everything is there in the box. It's a big YMMV, but someone may get very lucky...

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
« Reply #110 on: November 01, 2007, 08:38:34 AM »
Where's the microphone?

He's using the headset, you can catch glimpses of it.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
« Reply #111 on: November 01, 2007, 08:40:50 AM »
A heads up:

Firstly, a confirmed thing: Many Best Buys and Walmarts are receiving demo units of Rock Band with the guitars and the drums (no mike though), so if you're anxious to play the game, you may want to run by the local big box place.

Secondly, I'm seeing reports that a number of stores are receiving retail copies of Rock Band as well and a few of these units have been accidentally sold. And while some folks are reporting that no, the idiots sold you their demo copy, others are reporting that everything is there in the box. It's a big YMMV, but someone may get very lucky...

The demo kit contains a mike, some might not be setting it up though, some forget to set up a controller in which case the mike is unusable.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 986
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #112 on: November 01, 2007, 09:03:15 AM »
A heads up:

The demo kit contains a mike, some might not be setting it up though, some forget to set up a controller in which case the mike is unusable.

Interesting.  The early reports that I'd seen on the demo units were that they didn't have the mikes, but checking around a bit more confirms that some do have it set up.  The main thing keeping me from the "sold the demo" theory is that posters have noted seeing mutliple copies at the store. (shrug) Mutliple demos might have been shipped to the same store, I guess. I'll keep an eye on the original forum to see if someone figures out what's going on.

But the demo units are thankfully quite real. Go out there and play, folks.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
« Reply #113 on: November 01, 2007, 09:51:27 AM »
Well some do, some don't, I don't know the ratio. but the no controller thing is an issue when they do have the mike set up.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 745
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #114 on: November 01, 2007, 08:40:14 PM »
But the demo units are thankfully quite real. Go out there and play, folks.

I just did.

The set-up I played is Guitar and drums only. The drum kit is only the 4 pads and the demo will play the kick drum beats automatically.  I played Should I Stay or Should Go, Epic, Black Hole Sun on drums and Kiss on guitar.  The drums are fun! The guitar I didn't like so much.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1507
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #115 on: November 02, 2007, 08:09:25 AM »
Shot an email to the people at Harmonix just to see if I'd get a response on if Rock Band is still in the works on the Wii.  Got a reply within about 3 minutes which was impressive.  (Granted the series of tubes on the internets don't have far to travel from one side of Boston to the other... Not exactly a large cirty.)

http://www.rockband.com

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #116 on: November 02, 2007, 11:15:08 AM »
The drums are fun! The guitar I didn't like so much.

Was it just the guitar controller you didn't like, or is the guitar gameplay worse in some way?

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #117 on: November 02, 2007, 11:44:12 AM »

I went to Best Buy on the release day for GH3, and noticed that they had a demo set up. There wasn't any microphone there, or at least no one was willing to sing in front of a bunch of strangers. It looked pretty easy from what i saw, but it looked like a lot of fun too!

The funniest part was that everyone standing around watching the Rock Band demo all had GH3 boxes tucked under their arms. It's like we were all excited to get home and play the new Guitar Hero, until we saw the awesome new game on the horizon. Talk about taking the wind out of our sails...

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 745
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #118 on: November 02, 2007, 11:48:41 AM »
The drums are fun! The guitar I didn't like so much.

Was it just the guitar controller you didn't like, or is the guitar gameplay worse in some way?

The guitar felt mushy and unresponsive to me. The strum bar doesn't have the click that we are used to with GH which is fine but it just felt weird to me. It is really spongy. Also the LCD screen they are using could have some lag issues but the stuff I have read about RB's calibration tools it shouldn't be a problem. The fret keys are flush with the neck and I like to slide my fingers up and down the buttons. I kept running into the neck and that threw me off a bit. The guitar even though it is bigger than any other guitars is really, really light. After playing for a few days with the new Les Pauls, the lightness was weird too.  I don't know when exactly you can use the upper fret keys in the game so I didn't really use those. I used them one time for the ending free-form part. The whammy felt good. I found my self accidentally hitting the 5 way switch a few times that was annoying.

I am sure I will get used to it, I am not really worried about it. I have been wanting the solo buttons on a guitar since GH 1.

The drum kit was cool. At Best Buy they didn't have a chair or stool or anything and my only gripe is hearing the thunk thunk of the pads and the plastic rattle when you hit the rim of the pad. I am sure once I have it at home and have my receiver turned way up I won't notice it as much.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Brak

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
  • The Master Would Not Approve!
    • Horrid Coloring Books
« Reply #119 on: November 02, 2007, 12:13:32 PM »
Those are some of the things that i noticed when i played it at my local Best Buy. The strum bar just felt weird to me and it was hard for me to get the hang of it since mine didn't have a guitar strap so i felt i was going to drop it.  There was a lot of other buttons on the guitar that i didn't understand and just was confused about. 

I love the drums, just the difficult thing is that when I was trying to remember where each drum pad was i would sometimes miss. I hope i'll get better once i actually have the game and am sitting down so i get my "bearings" 

Overall i think it will make more sense once i finally get the game and go through the tutorials.  I'm just way excited, and i better go get myself a pre-order somewhere so that i can get a copy, this was released today on www.joystiq.com that i thought was interesting

Continuing their tradition of sitting in on droning investor earnings report calls (so you don't have to!) Gamasutra noticed EA president John Riccitiello predicting that Rock Band bundles may be tough to come by for a while. "We won't be able to put up enough inventory to meet the demand of this fiscal or calendar year," Riccitiello told the investors, adding that those who don't buy at launch "won't be getting one for Christmas, unless you know someone at one of our retailers."

While Riccitiello could be plausibly accused of simply trying to talk up demand in advance of the Nov. 20 launch -- he did encourage listeners to "get in line outside your favorite retailer, because we've got one hot product" -- we find the idea of shortages very easy to believe given the game's strong pre-order sales. With Guitar Hero III already selling out at retailers nationwide, it looks like the market for rhythm games might just be big enough for two expensive, hard-to-come-by products.