Author Topic: TV Quitters?  (Read 7689 times)

Offline dignan

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 3
  • If Val's happy, I'm happy!
Re: TV Quitters?
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2007, 11:42:43 AM »
For the people who are bothered by commercials, there's these new-fangled things called VCRs, and Tivo, now. 

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2007, 11:50:33 AM »
and remote controls ^^^

Offline Sinflux

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
    • Sinflux Clothing
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2007, 12:09:09 PM »
TV license?  ???

Yep, the BBC use a third-party bunch of racketeers to extort money from the unsuspecting public. They then use this money to fund programming which they broadcast only when they feel like it; should the public, who funded said programming, care to see any of these programs at any other point they can only do so after buying the DVDs - which the BBC may or may not choose to sell - at further cost.

They claim it allows them to remain independent and offer a variety of programming; I call it extortion (threatening behaviour in order to demand money for a service which is neither wanted nor required - what would you call it?).

I would pay $260 a year to not have those awkward commercial breaks in American TV
Nicolas Cage is .... FU MANCHU!!

www.sinflux.com  Cool clothes for cool people *double thumbs up*

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #48 on: June 21, 2007, 12:15:26 PM »
I would pay $260 a year to not have those awkward commercial breaks in American TV

You still get the commercial breaks. Only on the BBC channels do you not have the ads. However say for example you made it so that it was impossible to receive any BBC channel and only receive the ones with ads on them well you'd still have to pay for the license fee. Plus there's a ton of BBC shows that are inthemselves ads for other BBC shows.

Like say the new Jim'll Fix it where somebody's "greatest dream" is to appear on Strictly Come Dancing (I got that from a friend in England since being in America I don't watch British TV all that often now).

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #49 on: June 21, 2007, 03:48:10 PM »
im sorry man i find your taxation system ridiculous.  its nothing personal so dont attack me.  its just an american thihng. 

Offline PsypherPunk

• Big Montana
    • PsypherPunk
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2007, 04:04:29 PM »
However say for example you made it so that it was impossible to receive any BBC channel and only receive the ones with ads on them well you'd still have to pay for the license fee.

This isn't necessarily the case. Despite what the TV Licencing co. tell people, if you can't receive the BBC channels you might not need a licence (there are legal precedents for this). Also, if you own a TV but don't use it to receive TV channels, you don't need a licence (again, despite the fact that the TV Licencing co. don't make people aware of this).

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2007, 07:14:08 PM »
However say for example you made it so that it was impossible to receive any BBC channel and only receive the ones with ads on them well you'd still have to pay for the license fee.

This isn't necessarily the case. Despite what the TV Licencing co. tell people, if you can't receive the BBC channels you might not need a licence (there are legal precedents for this). Also, if you own a TV but don't use it to receive TV channels, you don't need a licence (again, despite the fact that the TV Licencing co. don't make people aware of this).

I know all that (I will bet however that your average magistrait who has you before him/her will side with the licensing bastards). But see sinflux seemed to have the idea (and I can see why somebody might) that by having a licence fee British TV was free of stupid commercials. Oh if that were only the case.

im sorry man i find your taxation system ridiculous.  its nothing personal so dont attack me.  its just an american thihng. 

And you are absolutely right. Sad thing is it isn't even a tax thing it's yet another expense on top of the other taxes and duties one has to pay in the UK. It's one of the things that's so great about being an ex-pat.

But hey the fee pays for all those great shows:

[yt=425,350]j9_C4Rif4vI[/yt]

This was a genuine ad I seem to recall but I wonder if Vic and Bob aren't actually taking the piss of the whole thing under their pay masters noses.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2007, 07:21:23 PM by TripeHoundRedux »

Offline JonnyFrag

• Big Montana
  • Bad Movie Historian
« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2007, 09:44:05 AM »
Why all the Tv hating?
I watch TV I like all the time. The number of shows I really like is certainly going down though. I still watch 24, and now Heroes. Lost. South Park and Drawn Together. Bill Mahr (he's on HBO but still) I even sorta watch American Idol when it's going. Have to be able to talk about it with the millions of others that are watching it. CBS's Rockstar is much much better I think, but it seems that it's not on this year. :(
The Celebrity Lookalike contest show 'the Next Best Thing' and Last Comic Standing are the only real summer shows doing it for me.

TLC, History, Discovery (in all it's flavors) and Food Network  (Alton Brown is the MAN!) take the rest of the TV time at my house. Or of course watching DVDs etc...
Grapes? I hate grapes, I can't stand grapes. I loathe grapes. All kinds of grapes. I hate green grapes and I hate purple grapes. I hate grapes with seeds, I hate grapes without seeds. I hate them peeled and nonpeeled. I hate them in bunches, one at a time and in small groups of twos and threes.

Offline Mr. 420

• Schnappi Supporter
  • And thats when Lincoln said "Don't diss my homies"
« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2007, 10:31:34 AM »
I love watching TV and I enjoy most of the stations I get...all old and new movies, IFC's GRINDHOUSE, AMC (Horror Friday's), sports, adult swim, comedy central, spike, sci-fi, G4, etc....but i should state that I had my cable shutdown for a month and a week into that month i really didnt miss TV...
"Enjoy every sandwich." - Warren Zevon

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2007, 10:34:26 AM »
what i learned (thanks to deployments) is that tv is something people do habitually, but when its gone you find yourself not missing it what so ever. 

oh and nice seeing ya again johnny. 

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2007, 10:39:36 AM »
I love watching TV and I enjoy most of the stations I get...all old and new movies, IFC's GRINDHOUSE, AMC (Horror Friday's), sports, adult swim, comedy central, spike, sci-fi, G4, etc....but i should state that I had my cable shutdown for a month and a week into that month i really didnt miss TV...

Quite and I think that's how a lot of people feel. I have cable through Comcast and, due to some stupid arrangement with my condo association, no other cable provider is allowed to ply its trade to me for another few years. So because I despise Comcast (long story you don't want the details) I have the bare minimum of service so the channels I get are incredibly limited. I don't really miss the other channels.

Having said that, should I move or when the 10 year embargo is lifted I'm sure I'll likely hear the siren call of multiple channels again.

Offline dignan

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • If Val's happy, I'm happy!
« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2007, 11:11:33 AM »

Quite and I think that's how a lot of people feel. I have cable through Comcast and, due to some stupid arrangement with my condo association, no other cable provider is allowed to ply its trade to me for another few years. So because I despise Comcast (long story you don't want the details) I have the bare minimum of service so the channels I get are incredibly limited. I don't really miss the other channels.

Having said that, should I move or when the 10 year embargo is lifted I'm sure I'll likely hear the siren call of multiple channels again.

I used to work for Comcast, and trust me when I say, I completely understand your frustrations.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2007, 09:42:54 PM »
I even sorta watch American Idol when it's going. Have to be able to talk about it with the millions of others that are watching it.

No offense, but why? Personally, I'd rather gather around the water cooler and discuss who dropped the biggest turd this morning.

Alton Brown is the MAN!

No argument there. Good Eats is the Mythbusters of cooking shows.

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2007, 03:40:16 AM »
I watch Idol too :-",

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #59 on: June 24, 2007, 03:59:02 PM »
If you genuinely enjoy watching the show, that's fine. (I might question your sanity, but hey, whatever floats your boat.) But if you're watching it just so you can discuss it with all the other sheep who are only watching it to discuss it with you, then that's just sad.