Author Topic: TV Quitters?  (Read 7386 times)

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
TV Quitters?
« on: June 18, 2007, 07:52:47 PM »
Chances are, if you're answering affirmative to this question, you're not on this board, but...

Have any of you just given up on TV?
I can't remember the last full show I watched on TV as it was scheduled, but it's been a few years. I do a few box sets, though, but I prefer to watch stuff on my own schedule, without commercials.
Also, you can cut the stupid with a knife, it's so thick.

Offline FordPrefect

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 2
Re: TV Quitters?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2007, 09:19:48 PM »
While I haven't given up on TV, there really aren't a lot of shows which are currently in production that I actually look forward to. I can probably name the number of current shows I consider "appointment TV" on one hand. That said, I'm looking forward to Monk and Psych coming back to USA next month.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2007, 09:25:57 PM »
I am proud to say I haven't watch television in years. There's quite a few quality shows on the air that I enjoy, but I enjoy them even better on DVD, where I'm not inundated by constant ads for insert retarded reality show here.

Offline FordPrefect

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2007, 09:39:22 PM »
There's quite a few quality shows on the air that I enjoy, but I enjoy them even better on DVD, where I'm not inundated by constant ads for insert retarded reality show here.

I agree wholeheartedly. At this point in my life, shows that air on TV and movies that are shown in theaters are basically just very long ads for me to buy the DVD.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2007, 09:57:33 PM »
There's quite a few quality shows on the air that I enjoy, but I enjoy them even better on DVD, where I'm not inundated by constant ads for insert retarded reality show here.

I agree wholeheartedly. At this point in my life, shows that air on TV and movies that are shown in theaters are basically just very long ads for me to buy the DVD.

Definitely with TV, but I still enjoy the moviegoing experience. Some movies just demand to be seen on the big screen with eardrum-bursting sound. But, yeah, as interested I am in seeing, say, Knocked Up, it can wait 'til DVD. I doubt it will suffer any by being shown on my 27" TV.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2975
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 11:49:32 PM »
I'm no longer GLUED to TV, but I still have a healthy set of shows that I like to sit back and watch. I'd say 98% of them are animated and the other 2% are on Comedy Central. :^)

Offline Mr.Nobody

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
  • I blue myself
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2007, 04:19:06 AM »
I am proud to say I haven't watch television in years. There's quite a few quality shows on the air that I enjoy, but I enjoy them even better on DVD, where I'm not inundated by constant ads for insert retarded reality show here.

Thats where the tivo/dvr comes in.  When a show I watch is on I let it run for about 20 minutes before I start watching so I can fast forward the commercials.  By the end I'm only behind by a minute or two (assuming the show is 1hr).
« Last Edit: June 19, 2007, 04:27:04 AM by Mr.Nobody »
I've sort of fused Flashdance with MC Hammer shit.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 05:48:26 AM »
I watch some TV but mostly I use it as a way to play my DVDs.

I do watch some things on History, CSPAN and PBS but for the most part if the TV is on I'm watching a DVD.

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 8
  • Snarl!
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2007, 06:36:03 AM »
By and large I've given up TV, except when I tune in at specific times to watch specific shows (I can tell what's on and when thanks to the cable box). I only watch a few channels anyway, like the History Channel and it's spinoffs and occasionally Spike TV and AMC. I can't actually think of a show that I go out of my way to watch regularly anymore except Dirty Jobs.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2007, 08:16:37 AM »
Well I haven't even had a TV in 5 or 6 years, so everything has been on the PC either downloads or DVDs.

Offline dignan

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • If Val's happy, I'm happy!
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2007, 08:29:14 AM »
Nowadays, I actually like tv shows a lot more than I ever did in the past.  The Wire, Deadwood (R.I.P.), Arrested Development (R.I.P.), The Office, LOST, Heroes, House, Supernatural, South Park, American Idol, My Name Is Earl...I can't swing a stick without hitting an awesome, or at least awesomely entertaining, show.  I always think every new season that I'm going to actually have to get a life, but my fears are soon put to rest. 

Offline JoshWay

• Big Montana
  • My mother was a demon!
    • My iRiffs
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2007, 10:36:22 AM »
I've completely disposed of broadcast TV. In the rare instance of a good television show, I employ DVDs. (Or iTunes for silly stuff and guilty pleasures.)

I don't know which I miss less: oppressive program schedules (must-see TV!), cable news, or advertising.

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2007, 10:40:40 AM »
Sounds like a sever case of TSS (Tv Shame Syndrome) going on in this forum ;D

...myself, I can think of a thousand reasons why I love TV

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2007, 10:41:23 AM »
Sounds like a sever case of TSS (Tv Shame Syndrome) going on in this forum ;D

...myself, I can think of a thousand reasons why I love TV
I don't know it's not a moral thing or anything, I just never get round to watching much.

Having said what I did about TV, I might check out New Amsterdam when it premiers. If I can remember to.

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2007, 10:46:38 AM »
Well, we recently got Cable over here, and for the life of me I can't figure out why.
As cliche as it is, "We have 100 channels, with nothing on."
And this is something I love about cable: Everything's a marathon. Just hours and hours of the same show, all in one sitting.
Hallmark: Little House on the Prairie, Matlock, Touched by an Angel
SciFi: Stargate, Star Trek
Travel: Most Haunted. (WHAT?)
And so on. It's maddening.