Author Topic: Weird Fears  (Read 7709 times)

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
Weird Fears
« on: June 12, 2007, 01:45:23 PM »
There's nothing very clever here: just a thread were you name weird fears you may or may not have. If you want, use your half-assed knowledge of Latin to come up with proper names for them.
To start:

Pilobardaphobia: Fear that, while shaving, one of the blades will go wonky and I'll end up accidentally peeling off half of my face like a potato.

ps- Here's a Latin/English dictionary you can use for base words: http://www.sunsite.ubc.ca/LatinDictionary/

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 8
  • Snarl!
Re: Weird Fears
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 05:21:34 PM »
I suffer from a bad case of entomophobia, something that's kind of shameful considering my size and overall demeanor. I wasn't always this way, either. I used to be fascinated by insects and arachnids (I know the difference - haHA!) up until I was about 10 years old, but then my family moved to the woods of West Virginia. When I say "woods", I don't mean a rural area, I mean on the side of a mountain a half hour from the nearest one-horse town with a post office and 10 houses called Great Cacapon.

Turns out the bugs I dealt with previously fell into the

category,

while the ones I was suddenly exposed to in WV were more the

kind.

So instantly my young, impressionable mind was addled by the thick cloud of gnats that swarmed around my head unceasingly whenever I stepped outside 9 months out of the year. Finding huge wolf spiders randomly in the house, being chased by horse flies about the size of hornets, pulling various flying bugs out of my hair, not to mention these freaks of nature called dobson flies that would hatch in the nearby stream en masse every spring and cover our house...

(it's about six inches long)

...eventually broke me. So now I'm afraid of bugs, especially flying ones.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2054
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 05:25:53 PM »
The Almighty Sideswipe is afraid of nothing.  He's not keen on sea montsers though.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Liked: 8
  • Snarl!
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 05:29:26 PM »
The Almighty Sideswipe is afraid of nothing.  He's not keen on sea montsers though.

So that's why you don't like that one Asia album.

I bet you're not fond of trebuchets anymore either...

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2007, 09:36:03 PM »
My big fear, and my weirdest, is FISH. I don't know why. I've never had a bad experience in my memory with fish.
Whatever the case, where you may see this:

I see this:

There is one nice thing about all of this:

The Murlocs finally have someone who's afraid of them!

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2007, 06:46:27 PM »

So that's why you don't like that one Asia album.

I bet you're not fond of trebuchets anymore either...

Thats none of your damn business, and I'll thank you to stay out of my personal affairs.
I'm not crazy about barbarians either.

Offline Rude

• Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2007, 07:04:48 PM »

I don't want to name this one, but it's strange...

A little background: As a kid, my father worked for a retail store. So i used to hang around there alot... as they were setting-up or taking down displays after hours, etc.

Anyway, i've always had this fear that i would fall forward. And one of those little metal display pieces would plunge directly into my eye. Ya' know... those display rack things that you hang product on? They're like a small skinny metal pole about four or five inches long, and fit into a slot wall? They used to hang GI Joes on them in Wal-Mart and K-Mart and stuff? Those things.

This fear has haunted me my entire life... even to this day. Weird, huh?

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2007, 07:16:42 PM »
They call those peg hooks.

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2007, 07:35:31 PM »
I constantly fear things taking out my eyes. I file down anything at the 5' 5" level down to a nub.

Now for a wacky one:

Feminadepiaphobia: Fear that the woman I'm wooing and holding out till marrige for will reveal she's a man at the big moment.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 11:49:56 AM »
The Mighty Sideswipe doesn't like really tight spaces either.  It makes him uncomfortable.

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 11:54:42 AM »
Fenestradataphobia: Fear of opening a door or window and finding yourself face to face with a giant monster.

Offline Dim of the Yard

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • Do the Servo Swivel!
    • Dim's Twitter Page
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 09:00:37 PM »
Personally, I'm afraid of balloons popping.  I just kind of have an aversion to loud noises, and balloons happen to be loud when they pop.

On the weird scope, hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia is the fear of long words.  (And a quick check on dictionary.com reveals that I can almost spell that word.  I'm one letter off.  The aforementioned is the correct spelling.)

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2007, 09:06:44 PM »
Fear of the Loch Ness monster: Itwasjustahoaxyoufrikkinmoronstheyvegoneovertheentirelakeandfoundnothingsojustgetoveritaphobia

Fear of Jessica Alba walking in on you while you.... um... you know, masturbate: Wrongtimewrongplaceaphobia

Offline Dim of the Yard

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • Do the Servo Swivel!
    • Dim's Twitter Page
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 10:25:02 PM »
Oh... sorry, we were doing *fake* fears, weren't we?  I just wanted to show off that I almost knew how to spell the fear of long words.

Oroyurogynephobia: The fear of speaking to doctors who study male or female naughty bits.
Logiconspiraphobia: The fear of the logical reasonings that debunk numerous conspiracy theories.
Menciaphobia: Quite simply, the fear of Carlos Mencia.

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2007, 06:18:09 AM »
Don't worry, it's been a mix of real and fake fears so far.

Real fear: Puppets or dolls. I am constantly prepared to immolate anything that's moving that shouldn't be moving.

Fake Fear: Fear that Anne Geddes will abduct me and force me to dress as a flower: parvulusinuriaphobia

(I feel the fake fear is more valid than the real one. Geddes is a total freak.)