Author Topic: Stranger Than Fiction  (Read 959 times)

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
Stranger Than Fiction
« on: June 09, 2007, 08:33:30 PM »
Has anyone here heard of the CD "Stranger Than Fiction?" It's a collection of songs done, for charity I belive, by a bunch of professional writers.
It's got Dave Barry, Stephen King, Amy Tan, Maya Angelou, Leonard Maltin, Ken Follet, Matt Groening, Norman Mailer, Ridley Pearson, and others.
The music itself isn't spectacular, but there is great deal of novelty in hearing the author of "The Joy Luck Club" sing "These Boots Are Made For Walkin'." Or Stephen King singing "Stand By Me." Also, there are a few really interesting original songs.

Anyone else got this CD, or heard any songs from it? It's not new; it's apparently been around for a while, but it's still available on Amazon.

Offline starfighter

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
Re: Stranger Than Fiction
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 04:21:34 PM »
       Don't have that CD, but you inspired me to pull out the tape I have of "The Rock Bottom Remainders" a live concert from May 25, 1992 with all the writers you mentioned except for Maltin, Follet and Mailer.  Al Kooper of Blood, Sweat and Tears played with them and helped pull the band together.
        It's only 45 minutes long and according to the box, the set list was Money, Nadine, Sea of Love, Louie,Louie, Bye,Bye,Love, Gloria, Good Rockin' Tonight, Double Shot of Love, Take Out Some Insurance, Ripple, and last but not least Teen Angel.   I haven't watched this in years but I'll have to take another look at it.